webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > I really hope an open webOS catches on as a viable alternative to Android.
I really hope an open webOS catches on as a viable alternative to Android.

Old 01/18/2012, 04:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

HP will probably never again see my dollars and cents as a customer.
Not for their over-priced ink, printers or any of their hardware chicanery.
The way they completely screwed the pooch on the acquisition and execution on the webOS initiative is astounding.

I truly hope they manage to get their act together act as able keeper and shepherd of webOS as Google has managed to do with Android.

My Palm Pre took a dive back in July and I've been using an EVO 3D as my mobile device since.

Even with all of the extensive customizations available and the stalling myriad of choices available with the Android platform, it's STILL not as slick, intuitive or plain fun to use as webOS. I will note that I've yet to utilize ICS as my mainstay ROM but from what I've seen of it (a LOT mind you), the coherence, tightness and flow of execution is still not just there with Android.

Side note, I remember when the TouchPad was first announced sans gesture area and hesitatingly thinking, "HP just DOESN'T get it." I really do truly think that was a small yet startlingly unconsciously emphatic, expressive display of HP's mindset and view towards webOS. Also, the various times their press releases or employees didn't properly capitalize webOS? Yeah.

Oh and just for the record? I feel pretty confident in saying that no other platform has yet to boast the impressively slick and useful number of Twitter apps webOS can.

Hopefully things turn around this seemingly sinking ship.

Until then, I pour one out for my homie.

EDIT: Oh, and for all the hoopla Google generated for how their design language was influenced by their also new Roboto font? I still think the Prelude font family used by Palm for webOS is still better looking and inspirational.

Last edited by rayln; 01/18/2012 at 04:13 PM.
rayln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 04:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

On Tablets, Android 4.0 is an Ice Cream Headache | ZDNet

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 06:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayln View Post
Until then, I pour one out for my homie.
I think you poured more than one...
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Touchpad is a nearly perfect device because of webOS and the homebrew community. I hate the thought of having to setting for something that is less capable in a few years, when the battery finally wears out on the TP.

I plan to install ICS on the TP solely because I fear that eventually I will need to switch and would gladly pay $500 for a webOS TP2, given my experience with the TP1.

Edit: Rant continues... The new age of computing makes me feel like my data is on a device rented from the manufacturer. Microsoft, Apple, &, for Android, the TelComs have all bought into this business model. I do not like it. I am not the 90% of users that want an appliance device. I want to futz with my computer/tablet until something breaks, then learn by fixing, expand the capabilities of the device beyond those envisioned by the marketing department.

Last edited by Willard; 01/18/2012 at 07:07 PM.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

Lol. Hell yeah! I agree whole heartedly with your posts! There isn't anything as good or even close to webOS interface! I've tried ios and the android thingies and very surely will never Ever attempt to use them again! After a webOS experiance(s) everything else is just pure garbage! Even feels like using a garbage phone nomatter how good the hardware specs are, the other two os's are purely awful! Awful. Awful!
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 07:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

HP burned many bridges with Webos
the generation of webos devices was pulled from stores so quickly, its disgusting

Think about it like this:
the period of time HP gave the devices is just too short

and really, it is offensive against the developers that developed Webos software. After all, they spent time and effort developing for a platform that was pulled so soon off the market

it is frustrating for retailers, the stores that purchased large amount of stock, that are suddenly rendered worthless by HP

it angers carriers, who have decided to promote HP devices, and offer them to customers

And most importantly, it angers the user base. It is insulting to customers who bought touchpads and veers for hundreds of dollars, when a few days later they only go for 99$.

This leads me to believe that HP will probably never be successful in the mobile market again. After all, Webos has completely ruined HP's reputation in this market. I just don't think developers would want to develop for a future HP device, carriers and stores would no longer want to sell them, and users would not buy them

and without HP, webos has little chance of success
and even if another big company picks up webos, HP has really dented its reputation

Last edited by the_tyrant; 01/18/2012 at 07:59 PM.
the_tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 02:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_tyrant View Post
HP burned many bridges with Webos
the generation of webos devices was pulled from stores so quickly, its disgusting

Think about it like this:
the period of time HP gave the devices is just too short

and really, it is offensive against the developers that developed Webos software. After all, they spent time and effort developing for a platform that was pulled so soon off the market

it is frustrating for retailers, the stores that purchased large amount of stock, that are suddenly rendered worthless by HP

it angers carriers, who have decided to promote HP devices, and offer them to customers

And most importantly, it angers the user base. It is insulting to customers who bought touchpads and veers for hundreds of dollars, when a few days later they only go for 99$.

This leads me to believe that HP will probably never be successful in the mobile market again. After all, Webos has completely ruined HP's reputation in this market. I just don't think developers would want to develop for a future HP device, carriers and stores would no longer want to sell them, and users would not buy them

and without HP, webos has little chance of success
and even if another big company picks up webos, HP has really dented its reputation
I would amend that to "Leo burned many bridges..." etc, etc. From inside, his actions were the most inexplicable I've seen in my 30+ years in the industry.....

edc
chejlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 02:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I guess I should clarify. Perfect in the sense that I can make it do everything need it to do and most of what I want it to do. It isn't always pretty. With iOS and to some extent android, I am usually just hosed when trying to do something that 90% of users don't do.

Now that said, out of the box webOS has a few more rough edges than iOS and limiting CUPS to just HP printers does **** me off, but there are workarounds.

Last edited by Willard; 01/19/2012 at 03:11 PM.
Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 10:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willard View Post
I am not the 90% of users that want an appliance device. I want to futz with my computer/tablet until something breaks, then learn by fixing, expand the capabilities of the device beyond those envisioned by the marketing department.
That's why I like Android for my phone. I can run multiple different custom ROMs at different times. Take a look at the app "tasker" and you can automate almost any function on Android and do more than they ever thought of doing for the OS. I don't like the Android font, so I changed it by using the app "font changer". I download a font, move it to a font file I created and change the font with just a reboot. Don't like the notification tray? Go online and cook up your own custom task bar, move it to the phone and flash the file...boom, you have a custom task tray nobody else has. There are tons of ways to play with the OS to your liking and make it your own.

I do have to say that it's kind of nice to use WebOS and the simplicity of the OS. I was able to use a Windows phone for a day and really like it too, but part of me doesn't like either because of the wall garden telling me what I can and cannot do. WebOS open source should change that though.

Last edited by kalel33; 01/20/2012 at 06:41 AM.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 02:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dignitary View Post
Look, I've been in the web design and development industry since 1996, and if there's anything I can add to this thread, it's that anyone who claims a font is 'inspirational' is <wrong in my opinion>
I don't know what got your comment modded but it seems like you have not actually added anything to this thread.

Not to derail the topic but I would have assumed a man working in an industry of art and expression would know better than to believe expression and interpretation thereof aren't limitless and solely the domain of a single declaration.
rayln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 02:19 AM   #11 (permalink)

other than my selfish love of webOS & that I think it will be a long long time til a mobile os comes along that I adore as much as it, as the years have passed on in my PC forum membership I am continually amazed by the community and doubt I'll ever see a better supported, kind, and innovative homebrew bunch.! As someone that used to jump phones every 6 months with no particular os I had to stick with, other than going from a launch day Pre - to Pre ± to FrankenPre 2 speaks volumes of how much I am hooked on webOS !

Thanks & I pray it open is development coupled with the news of possibly running android apps just like native cards will lead to it flourishing as it may be very attractive to phone makers looking to reduce costs having to pay for wm7 or android with all the possible litigation it faces and it may have to start paying licensing fees to MS, Apple, Cisco, Moto, or some other entity.... ? Not that I wish they be pigeonholed by that, just that webOS really take off as a viable option on new phones and tablets that are top notch and really show why webOS shines for so many that are clueless to its advantages.
jmleese is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0