webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Update all existing devices to latest release?
Update all existing devices to latest release?
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By John Steffes
  • 1 Post By Artichoke
  • 1 Post By bs03

Old 01/18/2012, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)

With the quote of

Quote:

Finally, we are committed to good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation of the platform.
from the web site: HP webOS Developer Blog

Will HP/Palm do the right thing and release an updated build (webOS 2.2.4) of webOS for all devices including legacy?

HP/Palm could release a non-carrier specific doctor for PIXI/PIXIPLUS, PRE/PREPLUS and the VEER.

Please HP/PALM release a unlocked non-carrier specific doctor, as currently your platform is fragmented...
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kataran likes this.
Old 01/18/2012, 09:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Dated 9 Dec 2011....

Considering it's been a little over a month, and the usual time-frame is "in the coming months", I'm not holding my breath on that one.

But I'd like to be wrong
Old 01/18/2012, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Waiting update firmware for Veer....
The Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 01:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

HP sorely underestimated the quality of the products already released & should release upgrades for them
the Veer is a highly innovative cellphone
no other small format phone approaches its excellence
I do not understand how the Pre 3 was upgraded despite never having been officially released by HP, yet my Vdeer, which I purchased after buying the TP (not during the fire sale) still has its 2.12 version, incapable of delivering on HP's promised connectivity with the TP
Artichoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gerzhwin likes this.
Old 01/30/2012, 10:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

I gave up on HP "making it right".
Don't tease me now.
bs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by delacro likes this.
Old 01/30/2012, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Veer: possibly/hopefully
Pre/Pre+: mhhh...won't bet on that one
Pixi/Pixi+: forget about it - it will not run on these. There are efforts to get some kind of development-snapshot-2.1-rom on pixis but it feels more like a techdemo than something usable.
ice8lue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 11:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke View Post
HP sorely underestimated the quality of the products already released & should release upgrades for them
the Veer is a highly innovative cellphone
no other small format phone approaches its excellence
I do not understand how the Pre 3 was upgraded despite never having been officially released by HP, yet my Vdeer, which I purchased after buying the TP (not during the fire sale) still has its 2.12 version, incapable of delivering on HP's promised connectivity with the TP
If there is update for Veer, and we know there is, it's postponed by AT&T. This insane carrier practice is not only related to US or webOS devices. Beside iPad2 I have Samsung Galxy Tab 10.1V an Vodafone variant of Tab that is stucked with Android 3.0.1 which is almost unusable device. Samsung is pointing users to check with Vodafone for update, and Vodafone is pointing to Google!? Device itself is enough different form standard Tab 10, that easy rom porting is not possible, so we are stucked in limbo.
To bad that HP hadn't released unbranded Veer so you guys cannot use meta doctored ROW images. Maybe somewhere in future some leaks surface on XDA so you can upgrade.
Old 01/30/2012, 03:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The Veer isn't that much more powerful than the Pixi/+. The main problem with getting a usable 2.1 on it is the lack of an open-source/finished kernel for it. But soon, we'll have Open webOS, which means the developers will be able to do something about it.
Old 01/31/2012, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftyAxel View Post
The Veer isn't that much more powerful than the Pixi/+.
Um, what? The Veer is 800Mhz with 512MB of RAM vs. the Pixi's 600Mhz and 256MB. The Veer CPU is from a newer "generation" of processors in the Qualcomm family, with a beefier CPU. All in all, the Veer is somewhere between a Pre+ and a Pre2, and only 200Mhz behind an HTC Evo Shift 4G.

The Veer's specs aren't that impressive in raw terms until you realize it is in a package you can lose in your pocket.

What I suspect will be the real hurdle to customizing WebOSOS on the Veer is that the Veer firmware isn't as fault tolerant as the Pre series and can be bricked. Veers are a finite resource; how many are you willing to destroy in the testing process?
kigmatzomat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/06/2012, 11:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

This is a Veer with webos 2.2.3 , i hope my Veer are updated too, mostly for using Skype! Veer with WebOS 2.2.3 can now fully perform TTS with Touchpad - YouTube
skipstep is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0