webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What about Kodak?
What about Kodak?

Old 01/06/2012, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)

As a long time photographer, I am following the Chapter 11 filing by once film / camera giant Kodak. Long shot, Kodak making phones? They now could have something no one else does, an open source WebOS.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2012, 04:16 PM   #2 (permalink)

People still buy DSLRs
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2012, 05:08 PM   #3 (permalink)

Obviously, Kodak needs to change direction if it wishes to survive. It can down size and stick with supplying the few film shooters that still exist and continue on with making cameras. Or, it can change direction and do something else. I doubt it'll choose to enter the already crowded cell phone business, but, like I said, the have to do something. They already make digital devices and they have the name recognition. WebOS needs a new home (shrug). . .

Old 01/08/2012, 10:36 AM   #4 (permalink)

The process has to be from the top down. I expected this outcome 10 years ago when they didn't change direction. You can't continue to do the same thing and expect a different outcome.

As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
old_geekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)
cgk

Kodak has run itself into the ground - why does this indicate any sort of competency in the highly competitive mobile sector?

Quote:
They now could have something no one else does, an open source WebOS.
Except they don't - like the rest of us, they have a vague promise of an open source WebOS sometime in the future - absolutely nothing to build a business plan around and no way to get hardware out before 2013. If they were desperate to get into phones and throw more money (they don't have) into a big pit, they could stick android on something and push that out.

That's leaving aside the fact that Kodak can't actually finance this type of project...

Last edited by CGK; 01/08/2012 at 11:20 AM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 05:11 AM   #6 (permalink)

ex-HPer in charge of Kodak, right?

just saying
Midway99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 07:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Kodak invented the digital camera and did nothing with it... allowing the market to be overtaken by other companies. In today's market, if you're behind the competition you will remain behind trying to catch up. Only way Kodak can pull itself out is to bring out a series of products / services that are unique to the industry that consumers would want.

Kodak has some commercial products that do well, but have lost the race in the consumer segment. They could possibly bring in WebOS to be it's core for a whole new product line.... printers, scanners, cameras, and possibly cell phones (and any combination therein).

It all depends on the leaders in Kodak to see if they have a vision and direction to turn around the company. Right now, I'm not seeing it from them.
Cyberpmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 07:56 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Kodak has run itself into the ground - why does this indicate any sort of competency in the highly competitive mobile sector?

Kodak's cash product (film) was replaced by digital technology. They were also big in supplying darkroom chemicals to labs around the world. Most of those labs are empty buildings now. Digital was way beyond Kodak's control, hard to accuse them of running the company in the ground. How many carbon paper companies do you see anymore?

Old 01/10/2012, 08:09 AM   #9 (permalink)

"Digital was way beyond Kodak's control, hard to accuse them of running the company in the ground."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, slightly correct, but, Kodak did not adapt and had no forward thinking in the boardroom...they had tons of cash in the beginning of the digital age, it would have been easy to then to start migration, now, as mentioned, forever catching up no matter what happens..and the costs to adapt now is totally prohibative....given the present economy, where is the money going to come from?

Even with the bankruptcy Kodak will be a shell, nothing, name only....it might have some value if they could sell the brand, it was the iconic marker for decades...

laterzzzz....

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0