webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS: The Plan
webOS: The Plan
View Poll Results: Would you regularly give money to a community effort to support and develop webOS?
No, Never 21 10.61%
Yes, I'd start giving right away 76 38.38%
Yes, but only after I saw some results 101 51.01%
Voters: 198. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree19Likes

Old 02/29/2012, 08:35 AM   #101 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Not in any numbers that matter (and I own a lumia before anyone says I'm an android ******) - plus WP7 isn't Windows mobile so you are comparing chalk with cheese.

I mean windows phone, that took long time coming. Microsoft knew who the competition after the iPhone launch. They just cooked their next gen mobile so long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Well the bills got a bit cheaper since according to the front-page they are laying off another 250 of the team. As for it being a marathon, unless someone commits to making hardware, they aren't even in the race.
I agree, I guess its the curse of my comment. Poor engineers.
With these folks gone, webOS will end up as a web UI framework.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/29/2012, 08:41 AM   #102 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
I think there is still place for webOS in comming years. First few prerequisites are met
Agree

Quote:
WebOS history is full of disappointments, but not all of them are related to lack of performance and features. WebOS failed not because it's slow booting or slow loading of apps. It mainly failed because so many important doors has been closed in front of it. Those same doors will be probbably also closed to Tizen or Geko. This charade with Netflix and Hulu support for TP are best example how you can kill platform using third party assassins. TP is capable to support many services, but service providers are not willing to write app for webOS or to give APIs to webOS developers.
Chicken and egg
But I say the device/OS was not compelling enough to sell. If they sold couple of million, I am sure netflix would jump.

Quote:
This conspiracy theory is reviled in article describing mad S. Jobs ****ed by webOS Facebook app, demanding from Zuckerberg to deny APIs to webOS developers.
So, I think, market success of Open webOS is more tied to this games behind curtains than QtWebKit implementation
Yup, Open webOS is depending on the webkit improvements, but the good news is there are still 200 people working on it.
Old 02/29/2012, 05:15 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbp View Post
But I say the device/OS was not compelling enough to sell. If they sold couple of million, I am sure netflix would jump.
This is rational thinking, but I'm not sure anymore. I'm starting to think that Apple and Google are using content providers as marionettes.
Old 02/29/2012, 09:11 PM   #104 (permalink)

Quote:
Chicken and egg
Netflix: No Plans to Support BlackBerry, or PlayBook | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

When netflix won't support the millions of blackberry phones out there or the playbook it's not very likely they'll make an app for webos. And it would take a lot more sales then what they've been having. Like that little three or 4 million person user base that they have had before. There are tons more blackberries they could support right now. Regardless, someone would have to make a phone and get it sold in the multimillion just to get them to consider it. plus you make an app you have to pay people to fix it support it, keep it up to date. That is an added expense that may not be worth the few people you paying $7.00 a month. It's not like anywhere near all users on a platform are gonna use Netflix anyways so it's not like they'll get everyone to be paying customers. And hell Netflix likely already has a lot of them as users regardless so they may stand little to gain anyways. Anyways i think an official webos app is a long way off That is a long way off. Long enough that there may be other services by then like redbox, Blockbuster, amazon, or cable companies. Hell by then it may not matter. They could be like Tivo or Myspace.
Old 03/01/2012, 02:27 PM   #105 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
Netflix: No Plans to Support BlackBerry, or PlayBook | News & Opinion | PCMag.com

When netflix won't support the millions of blackberry phones out there or the playbook it's not very likely they'll make an app for webos. And it would take a lot more sales then what they've been having. Like that little three or 4 million person user base that they have had before. There are tons more blackberries they could support right now.
Blackberries have smaller screen size ( except the failed Torch), Netflix on Blackberry is like watching a football match on a 10 inch tv. Besides BB is going with a new platform. I agree that it might not be worth for the $ 7.00 they get. However selling devices is the key, which helps the platform reach mainstream consumer. webOS failed on that.
Old 03/01/2012, 05:55 PM   #106 (permalink)

Quote:
Blackberries have smaller screen size ( except the failed Torch), Netflix on Blackberry is like watching a football match on a 10 inch tv. Besides BB is going with a new platform. I agree that it might not be worth for the $ 7.00 they get. However selling devices is the key, which helps the platform reach mainstream consumer. webOS failed on that.
You'd have to sell way way way more then any webos device has ever sold. Small screens or not they Blackberry actually does have sales and most can play videos already. Regardless, Webos is not close to being in the position that Blackberry is now, with 10s of millions of users and if that's not good enough it's delusional to think you'll get Netflix for webos in the near future. but yeah sell 20 million devices and someone will pay attention. But right now there are no devices and none planned or in the pipeline for the future for webos. And even then it wouldn't be until after they sell at those numbers when Netflix took an interest. Not gonna happen.

And again if they already have the customers netflix gets little from paying to make an app. So i don't see much incentive netflix.
Old 03/26/2012, 08:25 AM   #107 (permalink)

In almost al off these posts, people started with devoloping a whole phone. But why don't you get in touch with a chinese smart phone manufacture. Than you could start a strategic cooperation. The chinese manufacture develops the phone, and produce it. We, as a WebOS team, develop the software and, the actually marketing of the phone. We contact the carriers, shops, etc. WebOS has supporters all over the world.

To solve the app problem, we could use OpenMobile, as said before, while we're now a manufacturer. And, the start capital don't has to be that big, as the Chinese manufacture pays a part of it.

So, summarized, we, the WebOS fans, develop the software (maybe even the design), and do the marketing of the phone. The Chinese manufacture develops the phone and produces it.

I think this is the only possible plan to get some new hardware for the greatest smartphone OS there is.
janthiemen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/26/2012, 09:12 AM   #108 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by janthiemen View Post
In almost al off these posts, people started with devoloping a whole phone. But why don't you get in touch with a chinese smart phone manufacture. Than you could start a strategic cooperation. The chinese manufacture develops the phone, and produce it. We, as a WebOS team, develop the software and, the actually marketing of the phone. We contact the carriers, shops, etc. WebOS has supporters all over the world.

To solve the app problem, we could use OpenMobile, as said before, while we're now a manufacturer. And, the start capital don't has to be that big, as the Chinese manufacture pays a part of it.

So, summarized, we, the WebOS fans, develop the software (maybe even the design), and do the marketing of the phone. The Chinese manufacture develops the phone and produces it.

I think this is the only possible plan to get some new hardware for the greatest smartphone OS there is.
That's something that we have talked about - but maybe not in this particular thread - there are so many discussions about this going on it gets crazy!

The challenge with this is that the focus of most of the Chinese OEM's is profit, not quality, so we might not find one with an existing product that would live up to the performance, reliability and build quality standards that most of us are accustomed to. So we would need to do a joint venture with them, where they provide facilities, technical expertise, production capability and component sourcing capabilities, while we provide the design concepts, quality control etc. This will still require a substantial investment (I say a few million dollars, others say 10 million or more). If the actual costs are closer to my estimates, then it is possible if we can get the community as a whole to unite behind the effort. If the costs are much higher, or if the community doesn't believe in or isn't willing to support the vision, then we're still stuck.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/01/2012, 11:27 PM   #109 (permalink)

I have an idea for a ePod, e for Essentials. The simplest, elegant pre style device that is marketed to
1) biz execs that are too busy for ... utube, games
2) folks that resisted the 'ball and chain' - ie they never wanted being "on call always"
3) and the funest, most provocative category - the millions of 'tech addicts' who need to say no ... those that just waste too much time tweaking and facebooking.

The e version would be inline with the old palm. Maybe called ePalm or just Essentials, a good PIM with killer battery life, best keyboard and a limited set of options. weather, navigation, music, news - almost a Apple closed world - but for those that need a tool and not a toy.

Pre2, Veer, and Pre3 ought ot be capable of handling that well. This group should have $ and may be willing to pay for built in subscription to a great music service, news and stock service. Maybe USA Today phone. Maybe with life time replacement. Anything to make life simpler for the busy person.

I found the android made my life busier, as there was just so much tweaking, info and options - kind of the opposite effect of what I needed. But I do love how I can have GPS, Music, Calendar, text and phone all open and ready to use.- WITH WEBos, with one hand ...

A niche product that someone brands as a lifestyle product. I thought also that Blackberry should just buy it and get on with things. or HP buy BB and just give the whats left of the WebOS brain trust.

funkmeisterbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 01:31 AM   #110 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
This is rational thinking, but I'm not sure anymore. I'm starting to think that Apple and Google are using content providers as marionettes.
it seems that Netflix has pretty much insisted that mobile is not really where they want to be.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05/02/2012, 09:58 AM   #111 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkmeisterbrau View Post
I have an idea for a ePod, e for Essentials. The simplest, elegant pre style device that is marketed to
1) biz execs that are too busy for ... utube, games
2) folks that resisted the 'ball and chain' - ie they never wanted being "on call always"
3) and the funest, most provocative category - the millions of 'tech addicts' who need to say no ... those that just waste too much time tweaking and facebooking.

The e version would be inline with the old palm. Maybe called ePalm or just Essentials, a good PIM with killer battery life, best keyboard and a limited set of options. weather, navigation, music, news - almost a Apple closed world - but for those that need a tool and not a toy.

Pre2, Veer, and Pre3 ought ot be capable of handling that well. This group should have $ and may be willing to pay for built in subscription to a great music service, news and stock service. Maybe USA Today phone. Maybe with life time replacement. Anything to make life simpler for the busy person.

I found the android made my life busier, as there was just so much tweaking, info and options - kind of the opposite effect of what I needed. But I do love how I can have GPS, Music, Calendar, text and phone all open and ready to use.- WITH WEBos, with one hand ...

A niche product that someone brands as a lifestyle product. I thought also that Blackberry should just buy it and get on with things. or HP buy BB and just give the whats left of the WebOS brain trust.

Interesting conclusion. You just described a feature phone.
bearda is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Mikey47 likes this.
Old 05/02/2012, 10:15 PM   #112 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toanedre View Post
I'm wondering what people think is going to happen in September. It's not as if new webOS hardware is going to show up in stores in the Fall based on the release of webOS OS alone. One would imagine that the earliest that a hardware manufacturer would consider introducing a webOS device would be something like CES 2013. A lot of the CES hardware never even sees the market if retailers don't order enough devices. Either way, it seems to me that the wait for webOS hardware goes on for at least another year.
I think there is going to be a "thud" in September. HP will make the date, no doubt. You're right, stuff doesn't magically show up. I seriously think HP will wash their hands of webOS and development will be left to the community with no company guiding the ship.

Personally I think you are going to see webOS on Nexus devices, perhaps the very one that Google is going to be selling for 399. Perhaps there will be Nexus tablets out, or at least announced by then that Google will be selling as well. I think webOS Internals will lead the charge on those devices. Some devs may port it to other devices, but I don't think OEMs will show up. I don't think CES 2013 will have anything webOS, unless Rod get s a booth and tries to sell his services to load webOS onto Nexus devices.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0