webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What webOS is missing
What webOS is missing
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By HardBeatZ

Old 01/05/2012, 08:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

There are certain features webOS should have shipped out the door with.
1. PIM search functionality.
First and foremost, I should be be able to search more than just my contacts. I need to search my calendar, memos and tasks and Just Type should have Calendar, Memo, and Tasks at the top of the list of as searchable applications.
2. Link recognition.
When I add a telephone number to a calendar event it is recognized as such and linked to the Phone dialer. (Unfortunately, it recognizes any series of numbers as a phone number.) Anyway, it does not recognize an address and link it to looking up on Maps, or any number of commonly formatted pieces of data that can be linked to the appropriate application to process.
3. Customized Calendar alarms.
When setting a calendar event, there are a limited number of options to set an alarm ahead of the event for a non repeating event. Commonly, I need an alarm over an hour ahead, but less than a day. There should be a Customize... alarm selection. Use a modified interface of the one used to select beginning and ending times which includes at least days, hours, and minutes.
4. Wrap cards.
When there are half a dozen cards open, even with stacking it becomes cumbersome to switch back to the last card from the first. Wrap the last and first cards together and insert an invisible half width card between them to distinguish the ends when there are three or more cards running. Then, when switching cards, the gap denotes the move from the end to the beginning, and, it takes half the swipes to move between cards.
5. Text Selection.
There are certain conventions of text selection that have developed across most platforms, namely the double tap to select a word and the triple tap to select a paragraph. webOS should adhere to these in addition to shift+tap text selection.
6. Saving content from web pages.
I cannot be the only one frustrated at the inability to simply save content from a webpage. a simple long touch on a link should bring a dialog to Save as..., Save link, something useful. What I do with the content may require another program, but at least I have it quickly saved.

I chose webOS because it elegantly does what other OS's either cannot do, or can do, but only functionally. These are some of the things I have expected for webOS to do as I have used it.
What makes a truly great operating system is not that it does what users expects it to do. A truly great OS does what users do not know they need it to do. Lets take a critical look at webOS and define the missing parts so that they can be introduced into the Open Source code. Then a hardware manufacturer may see this OS as something to good to resist having on their hardware.

MrPhido

P.S. As I finished this, I swiped the card away before saving. Usually a critical error. A message popped up saying "Saved 'What webOS is missing'" and my work was not lost. That's what I'm talking about. That's an OS doing what a user did not know they needed it to do.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3

Mantra of the day: αρτου διτου ουηρ αρ ιου

Last edited by MrPhido; 01/07/2012 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added item 6
MrPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2012, 01:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhido View Post
There are certain features webOS should have shipped out the door with.
1. PIM search functionality.
2. Link recognition.
3. Customized Calendar alarms.
4. Wrap cards.
5. Text Selection.
6. Saving content from web pages.

I chose webOS because it elegantly does what other OS's either cannot do, or can do, but only functionally. These are some of the things I have expected for webOS to do as I have used it.
What makes a truly great operating system is not that it does what users expects it to do. A truly great OS does what users do not know they need it to do. Lets take a critical look at webOS and define the missing parts so that they can be introduced into the Open Source code. Then a hardware manufacturer may see this OS as something to good to resist having on their hardware.

MrPhido

P.S. As I finished this, I swiped the card away before saving. Usually a critical error. A message popped up saying "Saved 'What webOS is missing'" and my work was not lost. That's what I'm talking about. That's an OS doing what a user did not know they needed it to do.

-- Sent from my HP Pre3
To your last paragraphs and PS: That was the main reason for me choosing webOS. Unfortunately most customers seem not interested in choosing, but let themselfes being influenced by brands and public commons, and not caring about their needs and the suitable OS.

1. Totally agree. Just Type features all over the place, BUT configurable!
2. Yes, better algorythm for phone numbers, but addresses will be hard to identify. When you put it in the Where field, it is recognised as an address and linked with map app.
3. Would be very useful and could be done with templates.
4. Good thinking.
5. Also good, and especially selecting and navigating in input fields should be made easy, as it is crap for now.
6. +

7. Better character support with supplied fonts, e. g. for typographic needs, and individual font installation possibility.
8. More and standardised text formatting possibilities.
9. Changing standard apps, if substitutes are installed.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2012, 01:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm honestly not fused about any of that. Well maybe a better text selection system on the phone OS would be nice and some way of providing arrow key functionality.

You can already save web pages to read offline with several apps.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2012, 08:37 PM   #4 (permalink)

Looked through Preware and found at least one feature. Thank you to nightburn and n1ce for the Hold Tap Context Menu. Still can't save pictures or files (mp3, .pdf, etc) but it is a step nearer.

MrPhido

Old 01/09/2012, 10:17 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would just really like to see a touchpad version of the browser multi mod patch.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2012, 11:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would like to see a new webOS line of Phones and TPads. (damnit)
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: sketch42
Old 01/10/2012, 01:00 AM   #7 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

calendar just type search can be done with agendaz by metaview (in preware). not as directly pooping up as contacts/apps but can be implemented as launch and search in just type.

and ubercalendar patch (also on preware) can give you many more event features and adress input into event is a special field that is launching maps. This location field can be filled in ubercalendar by adding an adress automagically when selecting a contact of your adressbook (press the compass).

but i'm with you with lacking of stock PIM over old PalmOS but superior of many other OSes and crossapp apis could be used more.

Last edited by gizmo21; 01/10/2012 at 01:14 AM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

I am constantly surprised at how smartphones have gotten dumber over the year. While I enjoy the better data speeds and multimedia capabilities of modern phones, in terms of actually getting things done and keeping my life organized, my old Treo 700 (arguably my 600) was more functional.

In that vein a well done task list app would be a major improvement. This should: assign tasks to specific days, be categorizable by priority and order, sync with outlook, or at least be accessible from my computer. In that vein, I could see value in resurrecting something like the old Palm desktop if it were tied to the Palm Profile. I suppose it could be web based, or be an app. Ideally it would also have email access.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 09:58 AM   #9 (permalink)
ka1

Someone really needs to create PIM, if not for WebOS, then for Android or IOS. Give us all the PIM functionality of PalmOS. Unfortunately, so much of that was built into the OS, that you really can't do it as an app.
Old 01/10/2012, 12:01 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would love to see PalmOS level PIM apps on WebOS too. I actually find myself still reaching for my old Palm TX for the PIM apps instead of using my Pre+.
crabbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 12:13 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPhido View Post
What webOS is missing
webOS is missing a company to love it as much as those who created it...

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
HardBeatZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Sanjay, bevcraw and IICODECll like this.
Thanked By: sketch42
Old 01/11/2012, 05:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Honestly what WebOS is missing and has lacked all along was a great starter App library, we could debate/discuss Operating System features all day long and not address one of the root causes for it's downfall.

I just recently got a touchpad, which I love. I immediately discovered how great and intuitive WebOS was to use. What left me feeling jaded was the extreme lack of quality core apps that current users of android/iOS would never accept living without.

Without a good core of applications in a centralized market; and a quality hardware device competitively priced you will never see WebOS take off as a platform. Let's face it, the prospect of money is the enticing factor to bring app developers to the platform and you won't get that without a popular device.

You can't get a popular device without quality, affordable hardware and a basic core set of usable apps that meets the needs of a majority of users from the starting line.

HP would have done well to find many popular apps from other platforms and actually pay the developers to port them to the platform, then hold coding competitions with monetary prizes in several categories for aspiring developers in order to help build up a library of apps.

Better document the APIs and unify the development process with a good IDE to make life easy for developers as icing on the cake and you could see the platform possibly gain more traction in the commercial world we live in.

I could probably go on more about this but my lunch break is over.
I'm keeping my hopes up for WebOS, but since I know it's history my expectations are low.
obelisk79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/11/2012, 06:17 PM   #13 (permalink)

One small thing I think WebOS needs is txt reflow in the browser.
Henkdroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 10:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

So I was up late last night taking some notes on the standard memo app that comes stock in webOS. Its handy for just misc info you want to capture and maybe transfer later.
well I had about 6 different items I wrote up for reference so I wouldn't forget and the next dat at work I opened it up to write into a spreadsheet. I thought, I should just copy the text into an email and send so I highlighted all the txt and accidentally deleted instead of copied. I realized at that moment there was no UNDO capability. At least if there is I don't know how to use it. Never mind the fact that I didn't have to copy the txt at all to email it, which I realized after the fact. But what a great basic capability the smart guys that will be adding to webOS in open source might want to consider adding.

a basic undo for those moments you eff something up.
kledanhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 10:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

Apps... duh.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 10:36 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by obelisk79 View Post
Honestly what WebOS is missing and has lacked all along was a great starter App library, we could debate/discuss Operating System features all day long and not address one of the root causes for it's downfall.

I just recently got a touchpad, which I love. I immediately discovered how great and intuitive WebOS was to use. What left me feeling jaded was the extreme lack of quality core apps that current users of android/iOS would never accept living without.

Without a good core of applications in a centralized market; and a quality hardware device competitively priced you will never see WebOS take off as a platform. Let's face it, the prospect of money is the enticing factor to bring app developers to the platform and you won't get that without a popular device.

You can't get a popular device without quality, affordable hardware and a basic core set of usable apps that meets the needs of a majority of users from the starting line.

HP would have done well to find many popular apps from other platforms and actually pay the developers to port them to the platform, then hold coding competitions with monetary prizes in several categories for aspiring developers in order to help build up a library of apps.

Better document the APIs and unify the development process with a good IDE to make life easy for developers as icing on the cake and you could see the platform possibly gain more traction in the commercial world we live in.

I could probably go on more about this but my lunch break is over.
I'm keeping my hopes up for WebOS, but since I know it's history my expectations are low.
Undoubtedly the app situation is a big hinderance to the growth of the platform, but I wonder if this is not one area the community could do something about once the OS goes open source. First, if we breakdown the much larger app catalogs of iOS and Android, 3/4 of the apps there are utter garbage, another 15-20% are app versions of websites and the rest are actually decent apps worth having in the app catalog. I think an opportunity might exist in the second category, which could help draw developers of apps in the third category to the platform (assuming hardware, etc., etc., etc.). Perhaps a consortium of developers under the umbrella of the OS governance group could reach out to companies from whom we would like to have an official app in the catalog. The agreement could be something of the form, the consortium will develop and support the app and the firm would provide the (I think limited) access the consortium would need to make a quality app. In exchange, the consortium would keep 80% of revenues generated by the app for the first 3 years. After which, the firm could take over the app, renew the agreement, or the parties could part ways. Of course, these are just example numbers, I think we may need the broader community to help fund the outreach efforts. Still, it might be an efficient and effective way for the community to help the growth of the platform once we have all the tools in place.

Just some thoughts.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 02:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
webOS is missing a company to love it as much as those who created it...
Hard to disagree with that. Well said.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 04:54 PM   #18 (permalink)

What webOS is missing? you ask ....

a decent owner.
keplenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 06:50 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keplenk View Post
What webOS is missing? you ask ....

a decent owner.
I think I'm a decent owner...
What I think it needs is Hardware support... N just about every other type of support as well.
Dazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/23/2012, 12:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kledanhoj View Post
So I was up late last night taking some notes on the standard memo app that comes stock in webOS. Its handy for just misc info you want to capture and maybe transfer later.
well I had about 6 different items I wrote up for reference so I wouldn't forget and the next dat at work I opened it up to write into a spreadsheet. I thought, I should just copy the text into an email and send so I highlighted all the txt and accidentally deleted instead of copied. I realized at that moment there was no UNDO capability. At least if there is I don't know how to use it. Never mind the fact that I didn't have to copy the txt at all to email it, which I realized after the fact. But what a great basic capability the smart guys that will be adding to webOS in open source might want to consider adding.

a basic undo for those moments you eff something up.
webOS has an undo function (admittedly I am using 2.2.4, so I don't know if earlier versions have it, but...) Meta-tap+z (press and hold in the gesture area while pressing the Z on the keyboard). Additionally Meta-tap+x cuts text, Meta-tap+c copies text, and Meta-tap+v pastes text. It can rather finicky when copying and pasting at times (e.g. from an e-mail to the calendar)

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0