webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Can we fix it before we port it?
Can we fix it before we port it?
Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By trowany
  • 1 Post By chalx
  • 1 Post By trowany
  • 1 Post By eblade
  • 1 Post By jeffmcc

Old 12/28/2011, 03:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Seems everyone is ready to put WebOS (Phone or Tablet version) on other devices, to have a wonderful OS work on a better device. That is fine and dandy, but there are a lot of bugs that need fixing and improvements that can be done to make it better for the devices it is already on. When you move, you don't move trash and things you don't need with you. I am not a programmer and I don't own any of the other devices people wanna move WebOS to, just the Pre+ and a Touchpad. I would like to see focused efforts to improve current devices first.

You guys are all we have pretty much since new developers and programers are not coming (the invitations were sent years ago). So if you move on to new device specific developments you are going to leave us behind too I fear, like HP. Maybe I'm misunderstanding the need to do this and the extra excitement. I just feel for a regular person if they are going to buy a current device (IPad 2), they will probably use it as is and not put WebOS on it. So work on doing so is only going to touch a handful of people, who if interested in WebOS for this probably already have a WebOS device that could use improving.
trowany is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by blackfireball5 and chalx like this.
Thanked by chalx, xandros9
Old 12/28/2011, 04:21 AM   #2 (permalink)

So then the normal user doesn't need to pay attention to these developments I guess. So basically just keep waiting for HP?
Old 12/28/2011, 08:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

It would be good to have the "Advanced" patches incorporated as default settings. They are really providing features that should be there by default.
Herrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2011, 09:12 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
It would be good to have the "Advanced" patches incorporated as default settings. They are really providing features that should be there by default.
i agree w/ you to have the option, but not necessarily defaults though, cause i bet you could pick 10 random users and they all probably have different setups...thats why i Tweaks is awesome for on the fly changes instead of having to download the individual patches each time you want to make a tweak
retroblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2011, 09:21 AM   #5 (permalink)

Why couldn't patches be baked in to the standard install, and tweaks becomes part of the settings suite? That would make the most sense to me.

I wonder what the community build of webOS would be called?

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/28/2011, 10:23 AM   #6 (permalink)

Patches are fine, but you cant patch webkit. You don't have patch for full hardware CSS acceleration. You don't have patch for database IO optimizations. How can you decrease boot times with patch?
Porting webOS as it is right now is meaningless.
Old 12/28/2011, 02:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Patches are fine, but you cant patch webkit. You don't have patch for full hardware CSS acceleration. You don't have patch for database IO optimizations. How can you decrease boot times with patch?
Porting webOS as it is right now is meaningless.
Yes this is the kind of stuff I am talking about. Actual improvements first.
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Old 12/28/2011, 03:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The truly amazing thing, though, is that both can be done.. at the same time.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ohiomoto likes this.
Old 12/28/2011, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trowany View Post
So then the normal user doesn't need to pay attention to these developments I guess. So basically just keep waiting for HP?
waiting for HP???? thats hilarious...they will not do anything for we the people....

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
jeffmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by trowany likes this.
Old 12/28/2011, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
The truly amazing thing, though, is that both can be done.. at the same time.
As long as that's the case then good I hope this is what happens

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0