webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Original Pre and Pixi
Original Pre and Pixi
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Vistaus

Old 12/26/2011, 04:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

What do you think are the odds of the original Pre and Pixi getting new ports of webOS now that it's open source?
jdlashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/26/2011, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

would it be worth it? Sounds like putting win 7.5 on a wm6 hardware. I'd rather see a port to newer hardware ie galaxy s2..
Stevesrjr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2011, 05:13 AM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yes, won't be worth it for the thousands of users still using 1st gen webOS-phones...
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by trowany likes this.
Old 12/27/2011, 06:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

WebOS 2.2.4 on Palm Pre+ or Pre...
lephilwld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2011, 05:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

The Pixi does have a port of 2.1 but it simply does not run right. The Pixi was not MEANT for 2.X and it's too slow to use. Sad but you have to face the facts.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2011, 07:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

.yeah, let it go. Pre and pixi ports aren't gonna happen. If it did it no work right even more than it already does
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2012, 05:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevesrjr86 View Post
would it be worth it? Sounds like putting win 7.5 on a wm6 hardware. I'd rather see a port to newer hardware ie galaxy s2..
About that...
HTC HD2 Running Windows Phone 7 - YouTube
(I know the HD2 isn't exactly your typical WM6 device)
I agree that it would be better to port it to newer phones though. I'd love to try out webOS on my Galaxy S
Mr. Dr. Prof. Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2012, 01:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think it would be good if the legacy devices got support in some way or another, though it would be quite an undertaking.
Old 02/19/2012, 05:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Editor-in-Chief

It's possible, but I wouldn't put many eggs in that basket. I imagine Open webOS is being designed to take advantage if current generation (TouchPad) and last generation (Pre3) hardware and not much older than that.

Could it be made to happen? Sure. Would you want to endure the experience equivalent of Windows 7 on a Pentium processor? I doubt you would.
Old 02/22/2012, 01:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
It's possible, but I wouldn't put many eggs in that basket. I imagine Open webOS is being designed to take advantage if current generation (TouchPad) and last generation (Pre3) hardware and not much older than that.

Could it be made to happen? Sure. Would you want to endure the experience equivalent of Windows 7 on a Pentium processor? I doubt you would.
Than Open webOS is failure same as old webOS, an un-optimized pile of mess. In 2011 at least 6 Android 2.3.x devices had been launched with same CPU and RAM as Pixi+. With FS and database optimization along with hardware accelerated UI there is enough juice in Pixi to run Gingerbread. Open webOS must not be more power hungry than GB.
Old 03/18/2012, 08:16 AM   #11 (permalink)

I personly think we should get Open webOS running on all those devices. this way we can make it as lightweight as possible. We should not forget that the n900 actually can run meego, with that poor hardware of its own compared to the n9.

well anyway it would be nice to know to which devices it will be ported for sure.
krushaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I hope we can get open webOS 1.0 on the older legacy devices! The only webOS device I have ever owned (and probably aver will own) is a launch day pre-.
AwesomePalmPre127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 11:45 PM   #13 (permalink)

Derek, I have a P3 Coppermine Celeron 1.13ghz with 512mb of RAM that boots and runs Windows 7 flawless, really. (Anecdotally, I think that is the oldest computer to run win7 haha)

But yes, I would hope that Pixi+ and Pre/Pre+ get some love. I'm stuck with this hardware and I'd really like to see it go somewhere. Unless someone can find me a more powerful slate QWERTY phone with inductive charging and gesture area.
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 07:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

I have a pre2 and my girlfriend has pre. I am really dissapointed that i cant do any type of voip call to her. I have skype but she doesnt. I hoped that with the arrival of open webos she can get skype on her phone. Now with what I read here my hope is gone. Really you simply cant expect to have big user base if you treat your users like this. open webos only for pre 3? yea right... if that happens im gonna dump my pre 2 for android for sure. I mean I have patience and beleive in webos, but if I dont get official open webos on my phone that has more than enough firepower to handle it, then I will understand that as a slam in the face. This really is embarresing for HP and WebOS.

And NO, NO, NO, NO, DONT tell me that pre dont have firepower for openwebos? I know of android phones with worse spec than pre running android 2. It really is a shame if pre dont get open webos
Radmila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/23/2012, 08:01 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AwesomePalmPre127 View Post
I hope we can get open webOS 1.0 on the older legacy devices! The only webOS device I have ever owned (and probably aver will own) is a launch day pre-.
really....hmmmm....your the man...the original pre- is a lovely phone in looks it has no equal
Old 03/25/2012, 07:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
The Pixi does have a port of 2.1 but it simply does not run right. The Pixi was not MEANT for 2.X and it's too slow to use. Sad but you have to face the facts.
Before I got the Pre 3, I had a Motorola Milestone XT720 (no, not the keyboard Milestone) which had really limited specs. Therefore, it barely ran the Android 2.1 (vanilla) it got delivered with. Android 2.2 and 2.3 were heavier than 2.1, but still the ports of 2.2 and 2.3 are running way smoother and faster than 2.1 on the same low specs, even though Android 2.2 and 2.3 are heavier.
So that doesn't really say a lot.
The same could apply to the Pixi vs a newer version of webOS.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 02:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
Before I got the Pre 3, I had a Motorola Milestone XT720 (no, not the keyboard Milestone) which had really limited specs. Therefore, it barely ran the Android 2.1 (vanilla) it got delivered with. Android 2.2 and 2.3 were heavier than 2.1, but still the ports of 2.2 and 2.3 are running way smoother and faster than 2.1 on the same low specs, even though Android 2.2 and 2.3 are heavier.
So that doesn't really say a lot.
The same could apply to the Pixi vs a newer version of webOS.
I use a preplus with webOS 2.2.4, locks and freezes but works, have pixiplus, with super webOS 2.1.0 (with veer webOS parts) as a mp3 player. Both could be more stable but hp/palm gave up on us legacy users!
John Steffes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 09:44 PM   #18 (permalink)

Whats the word on the pre2 thou. sounds like its in a grey area.
mattmers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/25/2012, 11:39 PM   #19 (permalink)

"I imagine Open webOS is being designed to take advantage if current generation (TouchPad) and last generation (Pre3) hardware and not much older than that "

this will be totally unfair.......i mean how many have pre3 ,i dont think many ?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0