webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Could WebOS become the next Ubuntu?
Could WebOS become the next Ubuntu?
Like Tree6Likes

Old 12/22/2011, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

I have this idea for WebOS, where if no manufacturers step up to the plate, WebOS can become like Ubuntu and be this universal open source operating system that is free for all. It could be used on PCs, tablets, and mobile phones. It would attract developer attention especially if it's available on all three. Maybe I'm dreaming but it's nice to think about!
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/22/2011, 06:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have a dream. I have a dream of a world where operating systems are judged not by the color of their trademarks but by the content of its code. A world were all nerds - appleboys and palmboys, symbiotics and windowsgirls can all link usb ports and join in the words of that old APL Spiritual: "Open source at last, open source at last, thank Jobs Almighty, open source at last! "

Last edited by midmofan; 12/22/2011 at 06:14 PM.
midmofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ursula, Eigan and EvanKr like this.
Thanked By: kayphoonstar
Old 12/22/2011, 11:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thanking Jobs isn't appropriate. Thank Ritchie is more appropriate.
geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/23/2011, 12:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by midmofan View Post
I have a dream. I have a dream of a world where operating systems are judged not by the color of their trademarks but by the content of its code. A world were all nerds - appleboys and palmboys, symbiotics and windowsgirls can all link usb ports and join in the words of that old APL Spiritual: "Open source at last, open source at last, thank Jobs Almighty, open source at last! "
Haha, very clever. Liked!
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

It will take many years for webOS to reach the status of Ubuntu, but I hope it is given the chance to make it.

• As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
old_geekster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Isn't Ubuntu trying to enter the mobile market themselves?
tykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 04:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_geekster View Post
It will take many years for webOS to reach the status of Ubuntu, but I hope it is given the chance to make it.
I keep hearing about Ubuntu and it's "status" but I'm very techie, build my own systems, know quite a few other techies and can say I've never once in my life seen a system running Ubuntu or any of the other Linux platforms on a PC. It's installation on desktops is less than 1% according to online sources, and if it takes them years to get to just under 1% then they need to just sell it for what they can or abandon it because it's a waste of their money. Less than 1% as a goal is not a money making en devour. Android did well because Google put the resources into it.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 04:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tykin View Post
Isn't Ubuntu trying to enter the mobile market themselves?
There is already a version available for TP. It's simply far too involved for me to install it at this time. I am running a dual boot with Cyanogenmod 7.1 Alpha 3 and would want to delete it before installing Ubuntu. Maybe I'll try it later.

• As a top contributor to the HP Consumer Support Forums, HP provides me access to the Tochpad at no charge so I may better respond to the questions raised on the Forum.
Old 12/30/2011, 05:03 PM   #9 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
There is already a version available for TP
Not quite the same thing, that is users taking advantage of the linux underpinnings to run desktop ubuntu apps in some form, I think he is referring to a drive within the unbuntu community to develop a actual proper mobile branch.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/30/2011, 05:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Not quite the same thing, that is users taking advantage of the linux underpinnings to run desktop ubuntu apps in some form, I think he is referring to a drive within the unbuntu community to develop a actual proper mobile branch.
I have used Ubuntu for years on my desktop in dual boot. It won't surprise me to see a full version at some point.

Old 12/30/2011, 05:44 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
I keep hearing about Ubuntu and it's "status" but I'm very techie, build my own systems, know quite a few other techies and can say I've never once in my life seen a system running Ubuntu or any of the other Linux platforms on a PC. It's installation on desktops is less than 1% according to online sources, and if it takes them years to get to just under 1% then they need to just sell it for what they can or abandon it because it's a waste of their money. Less than 1% as a goal is not a money making en devour. Android did well because Google put the resources into it.
I'm guessing you're not an engineer, programmer, or scientist. At the lab I'm at, almost all the engineers and scientists use linux and the secretaries use windows.
bigbeck89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/30/2011, 08:12 PM   #12 (permalink)

Alot of people are misinterpreting (rightfully) my idea of "Ubuntu-esque WebOS". I guess what I really meant was since I have utter doubt any manufacturers will pick WebOS, I would ideally like to see it become an operating system that is so intensely supported by the open source community that people don't have the option to forget it. It's weird but it makes sense in my brain.

I think WebOS shouldn't be meant for native hardware and it's future, what I see anyway, is something that has a Ubuntu scent. Many people say ports can't work, but if they are done right and ideas flourish, I think WebOS can survive.

Think about this, a site where people can come to download WebOS for their PC, mobile phone, tablet, etc.. You have a page with patches/tweaks/kernels etc..

The neato people over at XDA always come up with awesome ROMs, why can't WebOS have that?

I also think if this open source works, it will attract ALOT of developers. STUPID I KNOW BUT it is ALOT easier to develop in Enyo than Android. Android is a pain to make any app for (atleast for me!) but Enyo makes things buttery smooth. Whether it's the big guy apps or just miscellaneous, I don't know, but either is nice to me.
Old 12/30/2011, 09:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
The neato people over at XDA always come up with awesome ROMs, why can't WebOS have that?
Why can't webOS have this? Because those neato people have access to the full source of Android on all those manufacturers phones.

If you want the same, all you have to do is wait for HP to actually release all source under an appropriate license, wait for lots of manufacturers to build devices for webOS, wait for them to release the source for the devices, then wait for thousands of people to start taking that source and tweaking it for specialty ROMs.

In others words unless hp is really going to spend serious money on this like Google did with android, and start doing it like last month, it ain't gonna happen...
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
Why can't webOS have this? Because those neato people have access to the full source of Android on all those manufacturers phones.

If you want the same, all you have to do is wait for HP to actually release all source under an appropriate license, wait for lots of manufacturers to build devices for webOS, wait for them to release the source for the devices, then wait for thousands of people to start taking that source and tweaking it for specialty ROMs.

In others words unless hp is really going to spend serious money on this like Google did with android, and start doing it like last month, it ain't gonna happen...
Obviously I know that... I mean ~why do people doubt people's interest in WebOS besides hardware issues~
Old 12/30/2011, 10:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Obviously I know that... I mean ~why do people doubt people's interest in WebOS besides hardware issues~
It's pretty simple actually: People doubt people's interest because of the lack of interest that people have shown.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 11:22 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't doubt the fervor that WebOS fans have for their OS but I don't know if a small legion will be able to match the scores of people that are devoted to Android's OS, making custom ROMs for each specific phone. Most of the custom ROMs use Cyanogen's frame and then tweek it to work better with each phone. I think WebOS has individuals that are just as, if not more, devoted to seeing their beloved OS succeed but the manpower won't be there in the numbers like there is for Android. The community needs HP to put massive amounts of work and innovation to release a quality OS to open source. They can't just open source what they have now and expect for the community to make it a contender. They'll make it better, just like Android's community does, but not leaps and bounds better.....that's what Google does on each version and the community tweaks it.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 12:00 PM   #17 (permalink)

While it's fun to imagine and play around with ideas, I'm going to temper myself in the open source forums. The GBU didn't find out about open source until we did, and that means Rod is 100% right that we probably won't see o.s. WebOS for 6 or more months.
Old 12/31/2011, 01:50 PM   #18 (permalink)

I think webOS open source can have a future, but as independent1 pointed out it's going to be quite an undertaking - maybe much more of an undertaking than HP is willing to commit to. Once it goes open source, there is a chance of third parties forking it and releasing their own flavors tailored to different devices and user groups (think Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, Suse, and yes, Ubuntu).

The problem with that however is that what you end up with might not very consumer friendly - the average user doesn't want to have to think about whether an App they downloaded is going to work on their device and on their flavor of webOS. The average developer is not going to want to worry about making their app compatible with all devices and on all webOS flavors. To prevent this from happening there will need to be pretty strict governance, which again leads us to the question of whether HP will be willing to put up the resources to manage the project? I hope so.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 02:21 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Alot of people are misinterpreting (rightfully) my idea of "Ubuntu-esque WebOS".

-snip-

I also think if this open source works, it will attract ALOT of developers. STUPID I KNOW BUT it is ALOT easier to develop in Enyo than Android. Android is a pain to make any app for (atleast for me!) but Enyo makes things buttery smooth. Whether it's the big guy apps or just miscellaneous, I don't know, but either is nice to me.
Sorry to start with a correction. but "A lot" is two words and is vague. "Allot" means 'to assign' There is no English word "alot."

End rant.

I agree that it would be nice for webOS to have the kind of support that Linux has [If you're going to talk about Linux, there are more distro's out there than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the most known by the layman tho...

I do think that some people underestimate the number and fervency of webOS supporters/devs. The same thing happened with Linux in the early years. And remember, webOS is in its early years. It is entirely possible it will be like Linux when it has been around for more than 10 years. I also think that Open sourcing it is better than simply killing it. Many statements have been made that were later proven wrong or not entirely right.
Bill Gates: "640kb of RAM should be enough to run any applications" [sic]
Anon: "The iPod is a fad and will fail once MS comes out with their music player."
Anon: "Print is dead." yet the NYT best seller list tells another story.
President of the US patent office in ~1900: "Everything that will be invented HAS been invented"
"Palm is dead." OK, the brand maybe, but they made webOS and it is going OS, so anything is possible now...
If I could trade my brand new Droid 3 for a Good Pre 3 [VZW] even steven, I would... Any takers?
I have yet to delve into android dev, but I really would rather have a pre 3. I waited fir VZW to release it... kept my upgrade for months, then came the announcement... and still I waited, finally I gave in.

But I digress.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss it.

My CV: http://visualcv.com/egadgetguy
e-gadget-guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 05:24 PM   #20 (permalink)

If it's done properly, what you're suggesting in your OP is what I'm hoping for WebOS's future. While I'd rather not see WebOS move to anything larger than tablets (trying to run it on a desktop just opens up way too many issues with drivers, hardware, etc.), I'm hoping that we'll someday see WebOS be the 'Ubuntu of mobile devices.'

Personally, I'd love to be able to pick up whatever hardware catches my fancy, and then load WebOS on it to make it mine, just as I do when I buy a new PC and load Ubuntu on it. I know that's a dream, and a big one, but if the o.s. move works for WebOS, that'd be a fabulous outcome.

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0