webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Could WebOS become the next Ubuntu?
Could WebOS become the next Ubuntu?
Like Tree6Likes

Old 12/31/2011, 06:05 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-gadget-guy View Post
Sorry to start with a correction. but "A lot" is two words and is vague. "Allot" means 'to assign' There is no English word "alot."

End rant.

I agree that it would be nice for webOS to have the kind of support that Linux has [If you're going to talk about Linux, there are more distro's out there than Ubuntu. Ubuntu is the most known by the layman tho...

I do think that some people underestimate the number and fervency of webOS supporters/devs. The same thing happened with Linux in the early years. And remember, webOS is in its early years. It is entirely possible it will be like Linux when it has been around for more than 10 years. I also think that Open sourcing it is better than simply killing it. Many statements have been made that were later proven wrong or not entirely right.
Bill Gates: "640kb of RAM should be enough to run any applications" [sic]
Anon: "The iPod is a fad and will fail once MS comes out with their music player."
Anon: "Print is dead." yet the NYT best seller list tells another story.
President of the US patent office in ~1900: "Everything that will be invented HAS been invented"
"Palm is dead." OK, the brand maybe, but they made webOS and it is going OS, so anything is possible now...
If I could trade my brand new Droid 3 for a Good Pre 3 [VZW] even steven, I would... Any takers?
I have yet to delve into android dev, but I really would rather have a pre 3. I waited fir VZW to release it... kept my upgrade for months, then came the announcement... and still I waited, finally I gave in.

But I digress.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss it.

Of course there are more distros of Linux :-) I used to use Fedora but Windows 8 was too attractive. Android is a pain to work with, I'm only a freshmen as a CS major but I have learned a lot in school and on my own.

I suppose I'm coming off as an ***** to some. Ubuntu ~I guess only to me~ is the most widely known or "common" distribution of Linux, and your right, it's laymen's "Linux" term. If I had said "I wish WebOS was the next Linux" people would flock to the thread and scream at the top of their lungs. WebOS' kernel is Linux so it wouldn't make much sense.

And your right again, WebOS won't get the support ~Ubuntu~ has for a while but open source IS the best option and whether or not hardware maker pick it up does not matter to me because open source is endless possibilities. The applications to be developed, the "ROMs" developers can make, and overall progress for the OS is in the future of open source. I would give up native hardware if that meant WebOS get's the much needed improvements it deserves.

Last edited by ursula; 12/31/2011 at 06:13 PM.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 06:13 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gihmley View Post
If it's done properly, what you're suggesting in your OP is what I'm hoping for WebOS's future. While I'd rather not see WebOS move to anything larger than tablets (trying to run it on a desktop just opens up way too many issues with drivers, hardware, etc.), I'm hoping that we'll someday see WebOS be the 'Ubuntu of mobile devices.'

Personally, I'd love to be able to pick up whatever hardware catches my fancy, and then load WebOS on it to make it mine, just as I do when I buy a new PC and load Ubuntu on it. I know that's a dream, and a big one, but if the o.s. move works for WebOS, that'd be a fabulous outcome.
Your right, this can either be a mess or it can be the best thing that ever happened for WebOS. PC WebOS could be just the thing for consumers to catch their eye. What if you had your (example: Galaxy Nexus) and you're watching a video, looking at an email, typing a text, whatever it may be, but wait! For whatever reason you need to view this video or email or text on your PC. You can use Bluetooth or WiFi to open the card on your PC! Basically "touch to share" but you don't touch the too because that would require certain hardware (if I'm correct).

The possibilities of WebOS on a PC are widened so much more by the extreme boost in hardware. Imagine the applications you can make with 2.6 ghz processors and big high resolution screens!

And then ROMs for tablets is just icing on the cake. I love my TouchPad but I don't use it nearly as much as I use my PC. One thing I dislike about Apple is how desktop-ish OSX is compared to iOS. They're beautiful but not congruent by any means. This is what Microsoft is getting right. While they still have the desktop in W8, it's an application. The binding of the live tiles/metro interface on all of their devices ranging from smartphones, PC, and Xbox live is the best thing for consumers. People LOVE metro and people will love it more once they find out it's on everything they use.

WebOS can be the same, all be it alot smaller, but there is a lot of possibilities in it's future of ~open source~.
Old 01/01/2012, 03:34 AM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcedhk View Post
I think webOS open source can have a future, but as independent1 pointed out it's going to be quite an undertaking - maybe much more of an undertaking than HP is willing to commit to. Once it goes open source, there is a chance of third parties forking it and releasing their own flavors tailored to different devices and user groups (think Red Hat Enterprise, Fedora, Suse, and yes, Ubuntu).

The problem with that however is that what you end up with might not very consumer friendly - the average user doesn't want to have to think about whether an App they downloaded is going to work on their device and on their flavor of webOS. The average developer is not going to want to worry about making their app compatible with all devices and on all webOS flavors. To prevent this from happening there will need to be pretty strict governance, which again leads us to the question of whether HP will be willing to put up the resources to manage the project? I hope so.
Well, I have in my mind anyway, dropped a lot of the "average consumer" business from my thoughts. The average consumer, unless picked up by hardware makers, will not even see WebOS unless they stumble on it by accident (see "stumpleupon").

However, the app is not a big deal. WebOS scales, so in a way fragmentation isn't really that huge of a deal. WebOS will scale to all screens and applications can be made with expanding images and DIVs can be scaled with %'s.

There is a lot of other issues but the average consumer does not matter anymore with open source until HP or somebody else releases marketable hardware with it pre installed.
Old 01/01/2012, 10:53 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
However, the app is not a big deal. WebOS scales, so in a way fragmentation isn't really that huge of a deal. WebOS will scale to all screens and applications can be made with expanding images and DIVs can be scaled with %'s.
That could work just fine, because that's what Android did with Ice Cream Sandwich. The apps will have to be designed to be scalable to each devices native output. Android switched to this to try to be done with fragmentation, at least across multiple devices. Hardware makers will still fragment Android because they want their own skin on it and manufacturers are not the best at getting out updates because they want you to buy their newest phones and they don't want to put in the effort on phones they no longer sell, but that's why I rooted my phone and added Cyanogenmod on it...so I'm not reliant on them.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/02/2012, 03:08 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I have this idea for WebOS, where if no manufacturers step up to the plate, WebOS can become like Ubuntu and be this universal open source operating system that is free for all. It could be used on PCs, tablets, and mobile phones. It would attract developer attention especially if it's available on all three. Maybe I'm dreaming but it's nice to think about!

You're thinking that WebOS will sit as, basically, a mobile linux distro with no real dedicated hardware retailers on board? Well, Ubuntu does have manufacturers out there, but to the point...

If they can manage to build their own versions of subcomponents that had been licensed by Palm, I could see it sitting on distrowatch in the future. I have big doubts though. The software industry does CJ's around patents these days and I fear it will never happen. That, or the final version of WebOS will be severely limited due to those existing patents.

I suppose those components were licensed for a reason. Anyway, the roadblocks out there are tremendous.

Meanwhile, Canonical is moving to put out a mobile version of Ubuntu. Once they do, there will already be thousands of apps ready to download free and for purchase.

I've seen signs of this for a good while now and their announcements came as no surprise to me. It was rather exciting. With the news of the time, I was bummed with the death of WebOS and Ubuntu seemed my next natural direction (I run it exclusively at home with the exception of my touchpad and pre-). I look forward to synching my Ubuntu One account with all my devices. That would be sechsay.

I do hope I'm wrong. It would be a tremendous tragedy to see WebOS fail in the open-source world. You couldn't ask for a more definitive death than that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0