webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Poll and bounty on first device to port to
Poll and bounty on first device to port to
Like Tree22Likes

Old 12/20/2011, 02:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Suggestion to WOSN: Create escrow accounts that people can "vote" into about which phone they want webOS 2.x ported to first. I would vote US$500 for the Motorola Droid Pro (has a non-slider full keyboard, and when unlocked, runs on almost any GSM or CDMA network).

The first developer to provide a doctor for a phone gets everything in that phone's escrow acct.
chillrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by nightdevil21, blackfireball5 and pSiPre like this.
Old 12/20/2011, 07:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

the droid pro is crap. Sure it has an omap chipset, but that doesn't guarantee good compatibility & if devs are going to put a bunch of work into something why not go for a phone people actually want to use?
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2011, 11:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Tell me about a better GSM non-slider with full keyboard. There might be one, but I haven't seen it.
Old 12/22/2011, 11:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

The phone I am currently drooling over at the moment would have to be the "Nokia N9" i mean wow! hardware is Solid and the clear black tech in the screen looks beautiful dont get me wrong I LOVE my hp pre3 but would go crazy for an N9 running webOS
zclash is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Consequence_9 likes this.
Old 12/22/2011, 11:51 AM   #5 (permalink)

What about setting up a Kickstarter project for something? It would have to be something that a lot of people would contribute to, and we'd have to figure out how to put a dollar amount to it.

Kickstarter

(My secret hope is we can get some app development interest via this method... still need that perfect Evernote port for webOS 3.x!)

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by blackfireball5 likes this.
Old 12/23/2011, 12:47 AM   #6 (permalink)

I thought the N9 looked great, too. But when I got a hands-on, I realized the virtual keyboard was too narrow for me (same for Windows Phone on Lumia 800). And I realized I really prefer the tactile feedback of a physical keyboard.

Slight nit: None of the modern OSs (except BB?) seem to have a way to indicate timezone in calendar entries, but PalmOS did.
Old 12/23/2011, 12:50 AM   #7 (permalink)

Speaking of apps, I would be very happy just to have access to existing paid apps. I activated my phone outside the US, and have been stuck ever since with free apps only. There was unofficial word from HP back in September that paid apps would be available for smartphones in more countries, but haven't seen it yet.

Free Evernote app won't display some of my text entries, and there is no free Dropbox app.
Old 12/27/2011, 09:10 PM   #8 (permalink)

get busy with the phone makers outside the US since the paucity of good hardware in the US is a handicap from the getgo ...find chinese stuff and european stuff and get busy with people who still have vision...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2011, 09:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillrobot View Post
Suggestion to WOSN: Create escrow accounts that people can "vote" into about which phone they want webOS 2.x ported to first. I would vote US$500 for the Motorola Droid Pro (has a non-slider full keyboard, and when unlocked, runs on almost any GSM or CDMA network).

The first developer to provide a doctor for a phone gets everything in that phone's escrow acct.
Instead of spending money on that insipid thing on facebuuk, let people really invest in the project... set up a real fund and register it as it should be and sell real shares and get on with it ...start out like toyota did (the starlet model used to be called the toy-let) and look at them now ...getting in on the ground floor is good sometimes...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/27/2011, 09:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

IMO the most likely port is going to be to a phone with similar CPU/GPU to an existing webos device. Since the Pre3 has the fastest processor my question would be what other phones out there have the same one?

This sort of side steps the OP's question. I don't care much about the specific hardware. I care more about faster hardware running webos. The virtual keyboard patch works well enough now i think most folks could survive. Hopefully it'll be opened up with Enyo, and that will mean physical keyboard isn't a necessity.
NickVTPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 04:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I vote for an port to the EVO 3D. Similar hardware to the TouchPad..
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/29/2011, 08:23 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
I vote for an port to the EVO 3D. Similar hardware to the TouchPad..
Just curious, but what is similar? My research says it has the same CPU and GPU as the Pre3, which is a start. Also helpful would be same comms board, and (not sure if this is possible) touchscreen controller.

HTC Titan also has the same CPU GPU as the Pre3.
NickVTPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/30/2011, 12:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Nexus!
twstrickland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/06/2012, 10:52 PM   #14 (permalink)

In 6 months my family will have 4 WebOS phone all be free from Sprint contract. Take the top selling Android phone on today's Sprint, provide a simple means to reflash/doctor it to WebOS, and I will insist that if Sprint wants to keep my business, they'll need to do it. Why should Sprint refuse? Why should the hardware vendor care? Why would my family care since they've only known WebOS? I'd miss the portrait slider keyboard, but learning the virtual keyboard should be easier than learning Android.
JohnKern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2012, 04:56 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'd like to try webOS on a HTC Desire Z/T-Mo G2, just don't know how well/if the hardware has any incompatibilities...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Daughain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2012, 09:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

I just want it on some phone period lol
Old 01/07/2012, 09:39 PM   #17 (permalink)

I say port to a pre 4 and for heavens sake find a new name for it. never cared for the ' pre name. let alone pre plus, pre 2, pre 3. it seems that anyone who hears that name now associates it with fail
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2012, 09:09 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balooz View Post
I say port to a pre 4 and for heavens sake find a new name for it. never cared for the ' pre name. let alone pre plus, pre 2, pre 3. it seems that anyone who hears that name now associates it with fail
nahh, it seems anyone who hears that name goes "whats that?"
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 and EvanKr like this.
Old 01/08/2012, 11:58 AM   #19 (permalink)

if we are going to have a look at similar hardware to a webos device, it should be in comparison to the touchpad in my opinion. The TP has the newest/savviest hardware and, more importantly, no gesture area (which none other non-webos phone has). So the OS to port would have to be 3.x right?
3.x has a phone app, maybe some smart folks/devs can make it do real cellular calls aswell (if it can't already do so now).
g.vos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2012, 03:06 PM   #20 (permalink)

You guys do realize that the first port won't be for a LOOOOOOOOONG time, right? HP staff didn't find out about open source webOS until we did. It's going to take them months to finish. By the time they release even a minuscule selection your devices will be dated.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: marcedhk

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0