webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Poll and bounty on first device to port to
Poll and bounty on first device to port to
Like Tree22Likes

Old 03/16/2012, 11:06 PM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
...I would make the touchpad again ...offer 10" and 7" with external SDHC slot ...with SIM slot for 3g or 4g LTE ...offer either side with choice (YOU READ RIGHT, CHOICE) of operating system (windows phone, webOS, linux, android) and all that user exchanged by remote intervention with HP support for 306 months ...sell it for $300 or make "family bundles" ...i.e. 2 touchpads, 2 pre3s, 2 veers (choice of OS to match) for family of 4 with 2 kids, etc. I believe those who want to pay $600-900 for a tablet will start to look at this kind of across the board integration ...

HP ...WAKE UP !!
HP is trying to make a profit. I doubt HP can sell a $300 tablet with decent resolution screen and expensive memory and make much of a profit if any. Not only that other then changing specs i don't see much new and appealling that's gonna make people drop an ipad 3 and decide to buy that in enough numbers to make it worth the investment. If it didn't work before i don't see a spec change being much different. Webos lovers may like it but they were never enough. I just think you need more then spec changes and a dual boot to sell it. You gotta add all that stuff Derek has in his "wish list articles" and more to the OS, make it snappier, plus build out the ecosystem of apps and media. At least that's what i think.
Old 03/17/2012, 11:55 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Vos View Post
if we are going to have a look at similar hardware to a webos device, it should be in comparison to the touchpad in my opinion. The TP has the newest/savviest hardware and, more importantly, no gesture area (which none other non-webos phone has). So the OS to port would have to be 3.x right?
3.x has a phone app, maybe some smart folks/devs can make it do real cellular calls aswell (if it can't already do so now).
Just a thought: doesn't pretty much any Android phone have a gesture area (where the soft buttons for home, back, search & options are)? Seems that someone with some skill (not me) could make that area sensitive to swiping....

Also, to stay on topic, I now have the DROID Pro & would gladly pay $50 for it to run webOS.

Last edited by pSiPre; 03/18/2012 at 01:15 AM.
pSiPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/18/2012, 12:57 AM   #43 (permalink)

my tp with non hd apps takes gestures...

my trusty palmIIIc had an app or patch that made the whole screen the gesture area & maximized the display ...I would guess those bones persist in there...

there was an app JOT to write on screen with text out including multilanguage predictive & I bet'cha that's in there too...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/20/2012, 11:15 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aia832003 View Post
I would give at least $100. I think the N9 is an interesting one as well, but with the Touchstone mod I've done to my Galaxy Nexus, this would be fantastic!
Another vote for the N9 from me Two reasons for targetting this phone as the first one to port to:

a) Quite a lot of the hardware specs (cpu, gpu etc) are the same as the Pre2. Getting something up and running quickly to show it can be done would be a priority in my book, so why not pick something that has very similar hardware to what is currently available. And it has 1gb of memory, and already runs a linux-based OS.

b) Plus its pentaband and open! And a good way to give the one finger salute to Nokia and Elop for abandoning Meego

Oh. And I own one
lavo96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 03:34 AM   #45 (permalink)

Can I vote for... HP Pre 3?

Actually, I'd love to see Open webOS come first to something more embarrasing: The original Palm Pre I own. That way, I can experiment with Open webOS while keeping my Pre 3 as a usable phone.

I wouldn't mind buying a regular phone of the developer's choice. But I see you are voting for the Nokia N9 that, of course, is superb, but also expensive and very rare. That' would make it a bad decision as target.

Proudly choosing the loser side since 1982: Commodore VIC-20, C-64, Amiga 1000 & 3000, bPlan Pegasos & MorphOS, Psion Revo, Palm Pre...
jcmarcos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/21/2012, 08:27 AM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmarcos View Post
Can I vote for... HP Pre 3?

Actually, I'd love to see Open webOS come first to something more embarrasing: The original Palm Pre I own. That way, I can experiment with Open webOS while keeping my Pre 3 as a usable phone.

I wouldn't mind buying a regular phone of the developer's choice. But I see you are voting for the Nokia N9 that, of course, is superb, but also expensive and very rare. That' would make it a bad decision as target.
True...although the N9 is plentiful (to a degree) here in Australia and not that expensive. Hardly Normals had them on sale for $449AU unlocked for a 16gig version not long ago.

But, if we had to find something more plentiful, how about the Nexus S? Its open, can easily be bought unlocked, and fairly cheap now the Galaxy Nexus is out and about. A lot were given as free upgrades here, and most ended up on ebay lol
Old 03/21/2012, 09:09 PM   #47 (permalink)

On a side note to the N9, NItdroid ICS alpha was released today. Which means Android drivers are being worked on for the N9....which hopefully means Open webOS in the future I just wished Nokia had updated the Bluetooth stack to include MAP, so I can sms with it from my Touchpad!
Old 04/07/2012, 10:55 AM   #48 (permalink)

I would also like to see it ported to the Nook Color/Tablet for a Touchpad GO substitute. Their home button hardware setup would translate well to webOS 3.x.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/08/2012, 12:46 PM   #49 (permalink)

MOTOROLA ADMIRAL!!!

Motorola Admiral Review - Watch CNET's Video Review
jezzeppi is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0