webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Poll and bounty on first device to port to
Poll and bounty on first device to port to
Like Tree22Likes

Old 01/08/2012, 09:19 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Vos View Post
no gesture area (which none other non-webos phone has)
You do realize that any phone that has capacitive buttons (read: many, many Android phones) have this area, right? It is just a section of the touch screen that extends below the actual screen. It is just that for Android phones there are specific areas that they use to represent "Home", "Menu", "Search", etc. This area would represent the gesture area for webOS on an Android phone.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by treodoc755, El Valluco, pSiPre and 1 others like this.
Old 01/11/2012, 07:03 PM   #22 (permalink)

I know about all the CPU issues but I'd LOOOVE to see webOS on my Galaxy SII (sprint). Finally dropped my aging Pre classic for this phone and I freakin' hate Android. Miss webOS so much.

I will be following development in this department closely.
El Valluco is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by dankilla and pSiPre like this.
Thanked By: sitwan93
Old 01/12/2012, 01:04 AM   #23 (permalink)

If you please direct yourselves to the WebOS Internals Twitter page you will see some hints as to what phone will be the first with a functioning port.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/13/2012, 01:27 PM   #24 (permalink)

Lenovo recently announced (at CES2012) some cool products that will be cooler with wOS inside.
Smartphones: K800 and S2
Tablets: ThinkPad and IdeaTab K2, S2, A2
SmartTV K91

Last edited by KELVORG; 01/13/2012 at 01:33 PM.
KELVORG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2012, 09:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
If you please direct yourselves to the WebOS Internals Twitter page you will see some hints as to what phone will be the first with a functioning port.
Could you provide permalinks? I didn't see any mention of which phones WOSI plans to port first on their Twitter page.
chillrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by notcalvin likes this.
Old 01/20/2012, 10:16 AM   #26 (permalink)

I'll be d**ned if I can understand all this ...Lenovo and others are going to make phones with android for around $480+ when direct chinese vendors will ship you one now with android and everything under the sun for around $80 and if it breaks it makes a very cool skip on the lake !! Who would pay that for a piece marginally different? I love the Pre3 and Touchpad because the webOS is worth having. I have android mod on my Touchpad but have only opened it a few times so I don't hafta be the only guy on my block who doesn't know what android looks like !!!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2012, 02:24 AM   #27 (permalink)

I would prefer to have webOS on an Intel based Tablet.

Now that's would be interesting.
Old 01/26/2012, 04:54 PM   #28 (permalink)

I'll be willing to give at least $50 for a port to the Galaxy Nexus.
Liked by notcalvin likes this.
Thanked by chillrobot, notcalvin
Old 01/26/2012, 11:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
Thanks for the on-topic response!
chillrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by notcalvin and pSiPre like this.
Old 01/27/2012, 06:33 AM   #30 (permalink)

The results of work like this will definitely be driving my next smartphone purchase. Until then I'll be hanging onto my Pre2 with a deathgrip.

One-step Picasa batch image upload: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ecl-webos.html
kevets is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pSiPre likes this.
Old 01/27/2012, 10:54 AM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
I love the Pre3 and Touchpad because the webOS is worth having. I have android mod on my Touchpad but have only opened it a few times so I don't hafta be the only guy on my block who doesn't know what android looks like !!!
My thoughts exactly. Specially about the android mod. I have found absolutely no compelling reason to boot into android, other than just to try and figure out, what is it that all these android flag bearers keep harping on about. The fact is, I cannot understand how anyone could prefer the clutter of android, over the simple elegance of webOS.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by pSiPre likes this.
Old 01/28/2012, 01:31 PM   #32 (permalink)

How about the the Motorola Photon?
Romathug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/30/2012, 12:23 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevets View Post
My secret hope is we can get some app development interest via this method... still need that perfect Evernote port for webOS 3.x!
See E Notes, now in the App Catalog for only $1! It's a full Enyo implementation of Evernote using the Evernote APIs (the only way to legally create an Evernote app apart from official Evernote versions). Its main limitation is that it's an online-only app (a limitation imposed by the Evernote API).

E Notes is a 1.0 release, but the dev seems to be committed to a rapid update cycle to add a few currently-missing features. My only complaint was that I couldn't remove tags, and the dev has already committed to adding that in the next update.

I've been using E Notes on my TP since last week, and have been very happy with how it works--vastly better than the official app and even better for editing notes than the Evernote web app running in the TP browser (those of you who've experienced the "off the edge" text edit window know what I'm talking about).
bethel95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/06/2012, 10:30 AM   #34 (permalink)

I've been doing some looking into as to what phone I want for my upgrade. I would possibly be willing to put forth some cash to support a developer to port webOS to the HTC EVO Design 4G on Sprint. The specs are very similar to the Pre 3.

It has a 1.2 Ghz Snapdragon S2 Family processor and 768 MB of RAM. It also has world phone capabilities,\

Some tweaking would be required, but not a whole lot. And did I mention the phone sells for a mere $50.00 USD on Amazon!

Cheap, powerful and close to the original!

On downfall.... No physical keyboard. No biggy to me, but could be a deal breaker for some.

This is just my opinion, but I think keeping it simple for the first few ports just makes sense, And the phone's hardware it very close to the Pre 3.

-NightHammer
nighthammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/08/2012, 05:15 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennat View Post
I would give at least $100. I think the N9 is an interesting one as well, but with the Touchstone mod I've done to my Galaxy Nexus, this would be fantastic!
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/11/2012, 09:10 PM   #36 (permalink)

I would like to see it come to the iPhone as well because they are everywhere and could be easily acquired used. Or even iPod Touch. A webOS mp3 player would be sweet.
allen832008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/14/2012, 07:11 AM   #37 (permalink)

Galaxy S2 Skyrocket has the same SoC as the Touchpad
draztikrhymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2012, 04:00 PM   #38 (permalink)

Just a comment.

limiting port hardware options to physical keyboard phones would be a major hurdle to getting any opensource webos operating system on the largest number of phones. That is it may get it on a phone but limit it to a small user base If you want webos to get lots of support, more apps, more tweaks etc. you need lots of users; to appeal to the widest number of people. People are much more likely to use the phone they have then buy new hardware from some unknown company in china. On the point of appealing to the greatest number of people i did some admittedly really really un-thorough research. But I came across a few polls from last year. Across the networks in the U.S. almost none of the best selling phones have keyboards. The phones that a lot of people have; the phones that are coming from makers; and the phones that may be the most prevalent in consumers hands seem not to have keyboards.

obviously this isn't from this month but it's clear to see that most phones being sold in the past 6 months don't have keyboards.

I found this interesting too. "Best selling phones in the Asia Market"

Of the top 10, only one has a keyboard and it's a Blackberry phone.

10. Nokia Asha 300
9. Nokia Lumia 800
8. Sony Ericsson Xperia ray (ST18i)
7. Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S (LT18i)
6. Samsung Galaxy W (i8150)
5. BlackBerry Bold 9900
4. Samsung Galaxy S II (i9100)
3. Samsung Galaxy Ace (S5830)
2. Apple iPhone 4S
1. Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000)
Top 10 best-selling cell phones in Asia - City life - China Forum

So it seems to be a trend globally as well. I think if you only go after keyboards you'll have very few people trying to use webos because they just won't buy new hardware and you've voluntarily narrowed your potential user base. You'll have forced webos into a box of a small and ever shrinking user base. It doesn't have to be one of the other but i think who ever is in charge of the development of open webos at hp or webos internals or wherever such things take place needs to make the virtual keyboard version of the OS job number one.

I know people love physical keyboards. Nothing wrong with that. It's one of the reasons i bought Pre. But If you want to appeal to the most people with a port i think you have to cater to what people are likely to own rather than the smaller group demanding physical keyboards or quite a bit older hardware. I would do both but virtual keyboard phones would be my priority. Additionally, i think, with companies like Verizon, the biggest carrier in the country demand all phones be lte in the future whatever comes in the future needs to run on LTE. I'm not engineer or programmer so maybe that's not even an issue, I'm just saying. And if making it work with all these processors is an issue it should be pretty high on the list as Android seems to work find on many different processors. Anyways the main point was about pigeonholing the Webos with just making ports for keyboard phones.

Regardless. Just my thoughts.
Old 03/16/2012, 04:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

I'm calling it, HTC EVO 3D, a phone many people in the "community" have one. It's practically identical specification-wise to the TouchPad.
zefyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/16/2012, 04:42 PM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
Just a comment.

limiting port hardware options to physical keyboard phones would be a major hurdle to getting any opensource webos operating system on the largest number of phones. That is it may get it on a phone but limit it to a small user base If you want webos to get lots of support, more apps, more tweaks etc. you need lots of users; to appeal to the widest number of people. People are much more likely to use the phone they have then buy new hardware from some unknown company in china. On the point of appealing to the greatest number of people i did some admittedly really really un-thorough research. But I came across a few polls from last year. Across the networks in the U.S. almost none of the best selling phones have keyboards. The phones that a lot of people have; the phones that are coming from makers; and the phones that may be the most prevalent in consumers hands seem not to have keyboards.

Click to view quoted image

obviously this isn't from this month but it's clear to see that most phones being sold in the past 6 months don't have keyboards.

I found this interesting too. "Best selling phones in the Asia Market"

Of the top 10, only one has a keyboard and it's a Blackberry phone.

10. Nokia Asha 300
9. Nokia Lumia 800
8. Sony Ericsson Xperia ray (ST18i)
7. Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc S (LT18i)
6. Samsung Galaxy W (i8150)
5. BlackBerry Bold 9900
4. Samsung Galaxy S II (i9100)
3. Samsung Galaxy Ace (S5830)
2. Apple iPhone 4S
1. Samsung Galaxy Note (N7000)
Top 10 best-selling cell phones in Asia - City life - China Forum

So it seems to be a trend globally as well. I think if you only go after keyboards you'll have very few people trying to use webos because they just won't buy new hardware and you've voluntarily narrowed your potential user base. You'll have forced webos into a box of a small and ever shrinking user base. It doesn't have to be one of the other but i think who ever is in charge of the development of open webos at hp or webos internals or wherever such things take place needs to make the virtual keyboard version of the OS job number one.

I know people love physical keyboards. Nothing wrong with that. It's one of the reasons i bought Pre. But If you want to appeal to the most people with a port i think you have to cater to what people are likely to own rather than the smaller group demanding physical keyboards or quite a bit older hardware. I would do both but virtual keyboard phones would be my priority. Additionally, i think, with companies like Verizon, the biggest carrier in the country demand all phones be lte in the future whatever comes in the future needs to run on LTE. I'm not engineer or programmer so maybe that's not even an issue, I'm just saying. And if making it work with all these processors is an issue it should be pretty high on the list as Android seems to work find on many different processors. Anyways the main point was about pigeonholing the Webos with just making ports for keyboard phones.

Regardless. Just my thoughts.
...I would make the touchpad again ...offer 10" and 7" with external SDHC slot ...with SIM slot for 3g or 4g LTE ...offer either side with choice (YOU READ RIGHT, CHOICE) of operating system (windows phone, webOS, linux, android) and all that user exchanged by remote intervention with HP support for 306 months ...sell it for $300 or make "family bundles" ...i.e. 2 touchpads, 2 pre3s, 2 veers (choice of OS to match) for family of 4 with 2 kids, etc. I believe those who want to pay $600-900 for a tablet will start to look at this kind of across the board integration ...

HP ...WAKE UP !!
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0