webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > How to get new harware
How to get new harware
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ursula
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani

Old 12/19/2011, 10:30 AM   #1 (permalink)

I know we all ove WebOS. I kow we all love our Pres and Touchpads. I know many of us are happy that WebOS is going to be Open Source. And I know many of us are just, well, with that "you get what you can" feeling.

So, how do we get to new hardware? I was just reading on the Forum, trying to build my own opinion, and I get to the following idea:

The Pre 3 is just a great phone. C'mom guys, it's hardware is perhaps not comparable to an I-Phone 4s or even 5, but still it is quite good. And software, that's where the difference lies, and with WebOS we have great people doing great jobs.

So, to make it shorter: Why don't we, the comunity, buy our own Smartphone factory? I mean, I know it sounds CRAZY, but we could start checking with HP if we could keep producing the Pre 3 (in china, in the same line it was produced) and sell it nearly to production costs (I am assuming here HP would colaborate). I mean, if we get some more hundred of thousands of Customers (users) for a pre 3, that would pay something about 100 US$ (in my opinion, the costs for the Pre 3 are way under that) for a Pre 3, we could make it. I am sure that many component manufacturers out there would get happy with that.

I mean, we do not have any costs with Marketing and sales, no relation needed with service providers, certifications are done, as long as we do not change the hardware, no development costs.

This could be, as with much with WebOS, something new, one of the first Comunity Founding related to technology products (I know small bands are doing this for CD Albun, Video Clip and so on). So, why can't we do that to our lovely smartphone (then tablets, etc.)

I am sure that if we manage to establish a good user base (think on the ecosystem - apps and app developer who wants to sell more and make money) we would even be granted with new hardware. From our won or from some big manufacturer.

Well, now I stoped my personal "I had a dream" speech. Please, do not take it too seriously. I hosnetly do not believe it would happen, but I would love it and would take a part of it. But just think about it. What would you do, if you could? If you had money to invest? If you had the connections? If you do not want to be one more "I also have an I-Phone! Please, Please, Look at me!"?
saf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 11:03 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by saf69 View Post
So, to make it shorter: Why don't we, the comunity, buy our own Smartphone factory? I mean, I know it sounds CRAZY, but we could start checking with HP if we could keep producing the Pre 3 (in china, in the same line it was produced) and sell it nearly to production costs (I am assuming here HP would colaborate). I mean, if we get some more hundred of thousands of Customers (users) for a pre 3, that would pay something about 100 US$ (in my opinion, the costs for the Pre 3 are way under that) for a Pre 3, we could make it. I am sure that many component manufacturers out there would get happy with that.
$100? Here's the first phone breakdown I found on iSupply: For the iPhone 4S, It Around double that.

In principle you could go on the Kickstarter model, so that nothing gets built unless the number of orders is sufficient to keep the economies of volume necessary to keep the costs down. But normal manufacturing you are looking at tens or hundreds of thousands of units. Do you really think you could get 100,000 people to pre-order a phone that was start of the art at the beginning of 2011? Without any marketing whatsoever?

Right now, it is cheaper and faster to buy a Pre3 on Ebay. By the time the supply of Pre3's on Ebay has dried up, they will be further out of date.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great phone. I just see this as an expensive dead end. Porting WebOS to new hardware (after all the code has been released) is much more viable -- especially since you'll be able to buy the hardware with the usual carrier subsidies.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 02:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Besides the millions for the factory, you have to pay people to build the devices, which um nobody has the money for... Sorry to be a buzzkill but your idea is ****.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

I know that the idea was more like a dream. But I still think that 100 bucks could be reachable (take a look on your iPhone breakdow: 196US$ but with 16Gb, the Pre 3being only 8Gb).

I agree that the hardware is quite outdated and the e-bay stuff and so. But just an example: Do you know that the iPhone 4s being sold now in Brazil is one (if not the one) more expensive of them all? And peopple are like, dyeing witing fo it on a line.

The point here is all the profit and the Marketing stuff. I mean, if we could get a good and reliable hardware, how much would we pay for it, if the company belong to us? If it was comunity made?

I know we have to pay the poor chinese workers (believe me, no irony here), and that they also need to eat and buy stuff, but I wonder, what if we get to a point where we could all decide on the price and design and specs of our smartphones/tablets.

It would be interesting to know: How many WebOs devices are out there working?

P.S. About getting the subsided phones, I do not really think we would ever get to that point, I think that many companies would see this as a warranty break, even the cell companies would have problems with that (not having their rom with their programs and money makers inside of it).
saf69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 09:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah, it makes a nice dream. The reality is you can't up and buy a factory, you need licensing which takes months and years to get, besides just paying workers, you need to provide insurance benefits, and above all WNations as a community CANNOT afford that. Not enough people would view this as a good venture and wouldn't donate to the cause. Your best bet is donating to Internals and having them port to devices, it saves money and they will do a very good job.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by saf69 likes this.
Old 12/19/2011, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I was just thinking about the possibility of using "Raspberry Pi" as a webOS device. Mate it to a touchscreen, and you get a webOS iPod clone. If you can get a phone transmitter up on it, even better.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 10:20 PM   #7 (permalink)

I would rather someone take the project and fix the bugs then put it back on the Pre 3.

There's simply nothing on the market comparable with a current processor in a slider or vertical QWERTY form factor, other than the BlackBerry 7 devices (9810, 9900, they have same MSM8255T as the Pre 3) or the Motorola Pro+ (MSM8255 but downclocked to 1GHz). Everything else that has a vertical QWERTY is just absolute garbage. All you get are slates and slates and more slates, and they keep getting bigger. Galaxy Nexus? Ew. If I wanted a huge phone, the DynaTAC would be higher on the list.

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by saf69 likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0