webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open Source is Not a Savior
Open Source is Not a Savior
Like Tree9Likes

Old 12/19/2011, 04:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

I like chicken. You should like chicken too. It's nutritious and tasty.

Last edited by dignitary; 08/16/2013 at 01:26 AM.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07, CGK, passlogix and 1 others like this.
Thanked by passlogix, sinsin07
Old 12/19/2011, 04:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

'..Touchless smartphones and TVs could be on sale in 2012..' :::

One route to stepping ahead? Not 'new' News.. but an interesting article anyway:

BBC News - Touchless smartphones and TVs could be on sale in 2012

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 08:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutoidi View Post
'..Touchless smartphones and TVs could be on sale in 2012..' :::

One route to stepping ahead? Not 'new' News.. but an interesting article anyway:

BBC News - Touchless smartphones and TVs could be on sale in 2012

How is this related to the OP's post?
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 08:08 AM   #4 (permalink)

Great read. Thanks!
Old 12/19/2011, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

My implication is that the Open Sourcing of webOS CAN be it's own 'savior'.. IF the steps taken are bold and advanced enough to move it ahead. I feel that optically linked gesturing is just one field in which this could occur.

Glad you enjoyed the read!

How does your post relate to the OP's post?

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 08:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think you are right on target here. IMHO open sourcing webOS will take a much bigger commitment on HP's part then keeping it closed source. Now they have to please everyone rather than just themselves. Seeing how they've handled this for the last 18 months I just don't see this happening. Also IMHO I think they might have thought open sourcing would allow thousands of developers to "assist" them for free - that just isn't how open sourcing works.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by chalx likes this.
Old 12/19/2011, 11:11 AM   #7 (permalink)

Open Source is not a savior... yes.. IMO, it is the only option for WebOS to live a bit longer. Do or die.... we will see next a year or two.

Why I think Open source is the only option? (base on my own opinion)
HP won't spend more money to make WebOS hardwares.
HP can't sell WebOS a right price.
HP can't license WebOS easily ( If this is not false info, ACACIA claimed have some Palm patents)
HP can't lay off 500++ employees ( If they do, maybe goverment will take action)
HP can't kill WebOS due to HP still need it (at least for their dream printer)

So the last feasible option is open source WebOS.

Success or not, why we not wait and see instead claimed that developers and manufacturers won't interest in WebOS. Mobile Technology move too fast, in a year a king can be a slave or vise versa. As I remember iPhone first released, lots of people said it is an "***** phone" but after a year, it is become an icon. Now Android will take its throne. The target is next year. Symbian use to be a king for several years in mobile phone, now dead. MeeGo is the last hope for Nokia also dead. Windows Phone that take Palm throne for around 2 or 3 years now crawled behind iOS and Android shadows.

So something changed in WebOS is a good news, instead silence to death. I don't like much to predict what will happen next year, I just think that WebOS still have chances to live. It become a dominant OS in the world or not, nobody knows. So pointless to say right now, what will happen next year. If we already have TouchPad or other webOS devices, enjoy it till it last. Next year maybe a different story, different device, different OS, different ecosystem etc etc..
The Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 11:43 AM   #8 (permalink)
Rnp

Bla, bla, bla, "we are speculating that no OEM companies gonna sell hardware to webOS".

Until now, all this is only this: speculation. No more, and no less. But more interesting that all this text...

... was see the same, same webOS Haters / otherOSlover that liked. Only this is enough to weaken the argument... :lol:

Best Regards...
Old 12/19/2011, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
My implication is that the Open Sourcing of webOS CAN be it's own 'savior'.. IF the steps taken are bold and advanced enough to move it ahead. I feel that optically linked gesturing is just one field in which this could occur.

Glad you enjoyed the read!
Thanks, for the clarification.

Quote:
How does your post relate to the OP's post?
It was an acknowledgement for the effort.
Old 12/19/2011, 04:04 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
I think you are right on target here. IMHO open sourcing webOS will take a much bigger commitment on HP's part then keeping it closed source. Now they have to please everyone rather than just themselves. Seeing how they've handled this for the last 18 months I just don't see this happening. Also IMHO I think they might have thought open sourcing would allow thousands of developers to "assist" them for free - that just isn't how open sourcing works.
Right! Seeing how they handled webOS, I would say they open sourced it to unload its weight from their assets, and not to be even more involved with webOS. OK, open sourcing webOS is way better than just killing it, but I do not expect leading role from HP in webOS development. They might try to channel development efforts, but don't see them as development leaders.
Old 12/19/2011, 05:55 PM   #11 (permalink)

You're speculating that the only way for people to be content with webOS and the open source plan is if it will ensure that webOS will become as popular as Android or iOS. Personally I don't really want that to happen. Open source is our savior because it will allow webOS to continue to be developed indefinitely. Before this news, the last official word on webOS was that HP will 'discontinue operations for webOS devices'. That could have been the end of webOS, but it's not now. Thus we have been saved by open sourcing. It will allow homebrewers to get access to EVERYTHING. IDK why you implied that we will only be able to port to similar hardware android phones. There is no reason to assume that. If android can be ported to iOS and run on all kinds of devices, I see no technical reasons that would stop webOS from being ported as well... you mentioned none either.
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 06:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Exactly. Android would never have become such a huge open source success without Google's commitment of money and resources. That what attracted OEM's to Android. HP doesn't have the mentality to be an innovator. They'd rather use Microsoft's technology and manufacturer Windows 8 devices. They don't have a board of directors that's willing to take risks for a big payoff in the future. The more I think about it, the less optimistic I am about the future of webOS.
Peppy431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 07:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

as long as open source means people can port webOS to other device (how they did with evo 3D ) I'm happy
TableTopFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 08:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
So your definition of success is aligned purely with continued development for existing devices. Correct?

You're probably referring to the iDroid project (the only real effort to bring Android to iOS devices).
My definition of success would be if it starts making HP some money. But, I don't need webOS to be a 'success'. It'd be nice, in part, because it would bring more developers and hardware, but I like webOS how it's always been. Smartphone OS's best kept secret. If it gets too big then carriers are gonna notice it and impose more restriction, (Example: we had hulu restriction free on the touchpad until it started getting mainstream public attention with the firesale [I know that was hulu and not a carrier but it's the same principal]) we'll get locked devices that are not allowed linux access and homebrew, it will encourage ramped fragmentation when more 3rd parties make hardware. Notice how we never got Carrier IQ on our devices? That's probably because they never made a compatible version of CQI because it was not worth their time. Anyways I'd like about 10-15% smartphone of users on webOS, anymore and it will be too popular IMO.

As far as Android on IOS, IDK about the idroid, but all it takes is a search on youtube to see that people have been putting android on iphones for a while.
android on iphone - YouTube
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 08:42 PM   #15 (permalink)

Kill_dano, do you really think all you need to port an OS to a new device is all the source code? There is so much more than that to it. Look at how many people have been working for quite a while on getting android on the touchpad... There you had an OS that already had hundreds of implementations available to work with.

You do realize that manufacturers release the source code for android on their devices right? Without a manufacturer stepping in webOS will only live the life of a hobbyist os, regardless of how many devices those hobbyists can port it to.
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Old 12/19/2011, 08:47 PM   #16 (permalink)

anyone got cliffnotes?
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 08:57 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Kill_dano, do you really think all you need to port an OS to a new device is all the source code? There is so much more than that to it. Look at how many people have been working for quite a while on getting android on the touchpad... There you had an OS that already had hundreds of implementations available to work with.

You do realize that manufacturers release the source code for android on their devices right? Without a manufacturer stepping in webOS will only live the life of a hobbyist os, regardless of how many devices those hobbyists can port it to.
Yeah, you need a smart, willing team to do so... Twitter

WebOS Internals is prepared to port to their hearts content and they have the capability of doing so very quickly. Rod talks personally with HP and is bound to have aid from HP's own relations team.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 09:38 PM   #18 (permalink)

Webos being open source does not instantly mean it will become the next biggest thing.

What it does mean for the Webos community is that fans and fanatics will be able to continue building new apps and functionality for their existing devices.

In the future new devices may come up or other companies may adopt some sort version of webos on the backend.

However what HP did is throw a big huge bone to the hard core fans that didn't want to be "screwed".

So now HP can keep some level good goodwill for Webos on it's books, not have to report another charge for laying off the rest of it's 500-600 webos software employees and we the community will eventually get access to webos and do what needs to be done to get feature we desperately need.

Maybe some random company will make a layer on top of the open source webos like how HTC created "sense" for android.

Maybe it's not even a big name company but a start up that wants something fan based.

Who knows. But as of right now? this solution was so bad.

Open source is not a savior. It's the consolation price for miss congeniality.
cursedsoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 10:57 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
Yeah, you need a smart, willing team to do so... Twitter

WebOS Internals is prepared to port to their hearts, content and they have the capability of doing so very quickly. Rod talks personally with HP and is bound to have aid from HP's own relations team.
I would never doubt webOS Internals has some great and creative people. However, I will state unequivocally again, without an OEM stepping up webOS will be nothing but a hobbyist os.

No matter how many ports Rod and his team can do, without it coming on devices offered by carriers only techies would use it because this would mean purchasing a device and voiding the warranty by loading another OS on it. While many here would be more than willing to do that you are talking about only a couple thousand people.
Liked by independent1 and jp99 like this.
Old 12/20/2011, 08:21 AM   #20 (permalink)

i'm going to get **** on for this, but we all need to be a bit more realistic here. Our expectations as a whole are up in the clouds when they should be firmly grounded. There is no reason to believe for a second that open-sourcing webOS will lead to a 'third-coming'. There is no reason to believe webOS will ever be stock on another production device. As far as i see it, it's over for webOS in the commercial sense. I see open-sourcing as hp's 'graceful exit' & an act of appeasement for those of us invested in it (be it job wise ie keeping people on the payroll as they all look for new jobs, or be it emotionally/otherwise).

I am not however saying that there is no reason to be excited. There is plenty of cause for celebration. Once source is released webOS will really be ours. Ours to enhance, ours to add to, ours to port. We can update much faster without all the bureaucracy. We can integrate the best of our patches & utilities directly into a rom. WebOS will effectively change rolls from a production OS to a hobbyist OS, but you know what? That's ok. There is no better group of people to take care of it, which has been proven time & time again. Those who love it can continue to use it in it's new form & those who will move on would have moved on at some point anyway.

So yes, we should be excited, but we shouldn't be having the conversation of 'who will pick it up next?'. Deep down we all know the answer to that, we just don't want to hear it.

[but i'd love to be wrong]

-C_9
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0