webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What the ... ??!!??!!!!!
What the ... ??!!??!!!!!
Like Tree16Likes

Old 12/17/2011, 11:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Just saw this:

http://google.com/gwt/x?u=http%3A%2F...&ct=pg1&whp=30

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
bondfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by kill_Dano, Rnp, cujoq37 and 2 others like this.
Old 12/17/2011, 11:31 AM   #2 (permalink)

TouchPad 2....I can see it now. I just wonder how long we will have to wait for a new Smartphone
plyboult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 11:40 AM   #3 (permalink)

Meg Whitman said that HP is out of the Smartphone market (sad because Pre3 is a great device).

So any new dedicated webos smartphone device would have to come from another manufacturer.

Of course - with webos getting open sourced the geeks among us can get a device we like and put webos on it (then - sadly - lacking a gesture area - which sux). But that's not a mass market solution. And without a sizable market there won't be apps available.

If WP7 flops and if a manufacturer gets fed up with Android - or wants an alternative in play to put pressure on Google-rola I could see an established or upcoming OEM to use webos - but I wouldn't bet on it.

For now you'll have to assume that getting a Pre3, Pre2 or Veer via ebay is all there is and will be.

Last edited by tholap; 12/19/2011 at 03:35 AM.
tholap is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/17/2011, 12:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

'In the coming years..'

'..In an official statement of Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) said that, “it would release a new breed of tablets based on webOS operating system in 2013 following its decision to make it open source and share the code with third parties. Apparently, the company still bets on webOS-based tablets, but this time it wants third parties to help it with the platform..”

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 01:38 PM   #5 (permalink)

Interesting to see. The good thing is that gives them enough time to build good devices and not rush them to production. My current Touchpad should serve me well in the interim.
jjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 02:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

If the tablets take off I think phones will follow. (maybe)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 03:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Even if phones don't follow, I'm confident that HTC will make a webOS smartphone sometime in late 2012. (And when they do it will have a gesture area.) Here's why:

• HTC is very willing to be the launch platform for new risky OSs that don't have a large existing userbase:
  • They were all over WP7 when it launched.
  • They made the first android phone.
  • They demonstrated some interest in webOS both times it was on sale.
  • They have a good relationship with palm:
  • They built many of their phones, including the Treo Pro, which started the new palm phone look which continued on original Pre design.

Last edited by kill_Dano; 12/17/2011 at 05:30 PM.
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and RumoredNow like this.
Old 12/17/2011, 03:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

What's the link in the OP to? I can't open it on my Pre.
katefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 05:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
Even if phones don't follow, I'm confident that HTC will make a webOS smartphone sometime in late 2012. (And when they do it will have a gesture area.) Here's why...
Thats a whole lot of confidence. While points 1 and 4 have some merit, things will depend on what happens in the next 3 to 4 months (w/ webOS) and how HTC's legal troubles shape up. This may sound mean, but another Apple suit in the coming weeks wont be bad.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 07:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Even if phones don't follow, I'm confident that HTC will make a webOS smartphone sometime in late 2012. (And when they do it will have a gesture area.) Here's why:

• HTC is very willing to be the launch platform for new risky OSs that don't have a large existing userbase:
  • They built many of their phones, including the Treo Pro, which started the new palm phone look which continued on original Pre design.
1: Example of item 1?
2: Of course, it's Microsoft
3: Was that before Google said they would be getting into the phone business?
4: No comment
5: Meaningless since Palm does not exist
6: Not relevant. That was the days before the ecosystem. A phone cannot stand on it's own. Look at RIM for an example.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by p41m3r, independent1 and Vistaus like this.
Thanked By: independent1
Old 12/17/2011, 07:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

I agreed with kill_Dano. HTC have big chance to make phone base WebOS.

If people ask me why HTC or LG will make webOS device? The answer is simple. If they want to survive from crowded market, they will differentiate their products. If they make bunch of phone in a year, why not put webOS in one of them?

Some people here think WebOS is a dead OS that don't have market. WebOS not same with MeeGoo which can be said no market. WebOS have far better market. TouchPad already sold quite many.

If worst scenario happened. I'm quite sure webOS will live at other country. China. China manufacturers will surely make webOS devices. WebOS quite popular there. WebOS open source will surely appeal them much.

Last edited by The Bard; 12/17/2011 at 07:47 PM.
The Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 12/17/2011, 08:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by katefields View Post
What's the link in the OP to? I can't open it on my Pre.
Here's the content from Emoney Daily:

Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) To Launch Tablets In 2013
Categories: Technology

Posted on 17 December 2011 by Rachael Brunelli

Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) has announced that it will be releasing new tablets in 2013.

Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) To Launch Tablets In 2013
The world’s largest tech company Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) will be releasing new Tablets with some significant changes in 2013.

The company is currently busy developing the new tablets.

In an official statement of Hewlett-Packard (NYSE:HPQ) said that, “it would release a new breed of tablets based on webOS operating system in 2013 following its decision to make it open source and share the code with third parties. Apparently, the company still bets on webOS-based tablets, but this time it wants third parties to help it with the platform.”

Hewlett-Packard Co. (NYSE:HPQ) company shares are currently standing at 26.16.

© 2011 eMoneyDaily.

Back to search results
Google Home

Formatted for mobile viewing by Google
View page directly
Report a problem

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
bondfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 09:13 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, I don't think an official statement would say "Apparently, the company still bets on webOS based tablets" .. Iv'e seen that reported all over the place, they're all quoting someone else.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 09:18 PM   #14 (permalink)

Obviously Rachel was adding her opinion (the last sentence) to the official HP statement.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 11:30 PM   #15 (permalink)

Obviously they don't think an open source webOS will be ready for prime time on devices until 2013. This is a very dangerous signal to send to other OEMs.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 10:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Well that really makes 12/20/12 suck! Just our luck to get TP2 after the end of the world.

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
DataJog is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07, blackfireball5 and Vistaus like this.
Old 12/18/2011, 10:41 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:

1 True, but now that they're making history with Android and gaining market share with WP7, will they still take that risk? I'm not so sure.
2 Yes, MS payed them to make a WP7-phone. And that's not a rough statement, that is true 'cause eventually MS even confessed that. So no, they're not all over WP7, they're taking money from MS to manufacture.
3 Yes, they made the first Android-phone 'cause they were losing market share with the retiring Windows Mobile. So what? That says not that much.
4 Nope, RUMORS stated they had interest during the sale. Noone from HTC nor HP have ever confirmed that HTC had interest to buy it, so you can't state that as a fact.
5 True, but that is a long time ago. And btw, it looks nothing like the Pre. The only thing that looks like the Pre is the BB Torch, but that phone didn't come until after the Pre launched.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sinsin07 likes this.
Old 12/18/2011, 10:46 AM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
Obviously they don't think an open source webOS will be ready for prime time on devices until 2013. This is a very dangerous signal to send to other OEMs.
Or obviously, they need 2012 to reorganize the Palm-group (or HW/SW-webOS-group for that matter) and then work with 3rd parties to make it a success. Those 2 alone could fill up an entire year and then 2013 will be release year. So that's different. And other OEMs can make webOS whatever they want since it's open source soon, so that's not a signal at all.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 10:50 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartKidsOnTheRun View Post
Well that really makes 12/20/12 suck! Just our luck to get TP2 after the end of the world.

It may be the end of the (old) World.. but it is just as likely the beginning of the New one also!

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/18/2011, 11:10 AM   #20 (permalink)

I would prefer that HP under promise and over deliver than promise something in too short a time like with the Touchpad or Pre3 for that matter. Second, given mother natures' recent attempts to wipe out southern Asia I would definitely allow some lead time for unforeseen manufacturing delays.
jjacobs is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0