webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Over Quarter Billion Devices Waiting for webOS 4.0
Over Quarter Billion Devices Waiting for webOS 4.0
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By deCorvett
  • 2 Post By Mikey47
  • 1 Post By Grabber5.0
  • 1 Post By Mikey47
  • 1 Post By cgk
  • 2 Post By p41m3r

Old 12/14/2011, 04:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

If you can't stop the iPad wave what do you do? "You ride it!"

I know this sounds like a Micheal Crichton story, but I am starting to believe it. Supposedly after seeing webOS run twice as fast on an iPad and with the first month of TouchPad sales being so weak, HP began secretly engineering a webOS dual boot install for the iPhone, iTouch and the iPad1 & 2. After the last few weeks, I am starting to think it's brilliant. It's a "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" plan that just might work. Even if they gave the OS away as free and just charged for add-ons it would be profit-profit-profit. And speaking from an App developer's perspective, "a customer base increase of greater than 1000% over-night". Oh-My!

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|

Last edited by twack; 12/15/2011 at 12:13 AM.
twack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

I heard that they were leaning towards setting up Enyo to work on the other systems. But where did you hear the webOS operating system?
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 04:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
If you can't stop the iPad wave what do you do? "You ride it!"

I know this sounds like a Micheal Crichton story, but I am starting to believe it. Supposedly after seeing webOS run twice as fast on an iPad and with the first month of TouchPad sales being so weak, HP began secretly engineering a webOS dual boot install for the iPhone, iTouch and the iPad1 & 2. After the last few weeks, I am starting to think it's brilliant. It's a "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" plan that just might work. Even if they gave the OS away as free and just charged for add-ons it would be profit-profit-profit. And speaking from an App developer's perspective, "a customer base increase of greater than 1000% over-night". Oh-My!
o_O
Thanked By: independent1
Old 12/14/2011, 04:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

The problem is getting the average joe to try it, but the jb community is massive (i got an ipod touch) and that'd be rather awesome
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 04:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

I agree, would be awesome!
nalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 04:35 PM   #6 (permalink)

I hit Update on my TP and my Pre3, but it's not available!? Do you have a link?

/smarta$$
Old 12/14/2011, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Maybe in the pre-alpha feeds at company 'A'.
Old 12/14/2011, 07:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

Twack, the choice is up to you. Put the crack pipe down or put the keyboard down. You can't do both at the same time.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by spud101 and independent1 like this.
Old 12/14/2011, 07:15 PM   #9 (permalink)

Its not true?
Old 12/14/2011, 07:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

It was an Enyo app running on the iPad, not WebOS.

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Old 12/14/2011, 09:17 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
Its not true?
Even if it were, do you REALLY think you are going to convince iPad users to use webOS on their devices when it has practically no apps compared to the iPad, it can't sync with their iTunes, and would, without a doubt, void any warranty that Apple would provide.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 12:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
Even if it were, do you REALLY think you are going to convince iPad users to use webOS on their devices when it has practically no apps compared to the iPad, it can't sync with their iTunes, and would, without a doubt, void any warranty that Apple would provide.
Yeah but we can then buy iPads and run iOS in public and then when we get home alone we can run webOS with flash.

|wackware|google+|facebook|twitter|shortcut|mylo|multiapp|flashfile|donate|
Old 12/15/2011, 12:17 AM   #13 (permalink)

I would buy an ipad thingy with WebOS! Definitely.
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 04:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
cgk

Twack is The Artilleryman and I claim my five dollars.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 06:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twack View Post
Supposedly after seeing webOS run twice as fast on an iPad...
That did not even happen, so the premise for your argument is wrong; no need to go further. As a dev, you should know that a simple recompile wont be sufficient to get webOS running faster on slower hardware w/ only half the RAM. Painstaking optimizations will have to be made in order for that to happen. If said optimizations were done, then 1) the responsible party would have had access to the closed, protected source code, and 2) those optimizations would then easily serve as a basis for an easy port back to the original Palm hardware for which they were intended - something that did not happen.

It makes no sense. It's like finding the cure for cancer the first time around - while knowing exactly where to look - and simply moving on, not bothering to share it w/ the medical community.

A quick and dirty port takes some time, much less a smooth and efficient one. It involves abstraction layers/APIs at best, or whipping up your own efficient drivers for new hardware in a worst case. Im not sure if its sufficient to simply make calls through the API to get things like CSS transforms and the GPU to work (or Palm's engineers would have surely done it, right?... actually, dont answer that ) but I doubt its that easy. If the Luna UI ran decently on the much weaker iPad 2, then background services and stacks were likely stopped or not loaded to begin w/.

webOS is a monster; a beautiful monster that needs taming.
Installing it on 1/4 billion devices would only lead to 1/4 billion headaches (everything else being equal). Not even Kal-El and 2GB RAM would do her good because she is what she is - uncouth and unrefined. Is she a sight to behold though? You bet! Do we still love her long time? Long, long, long, long time!!
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by spud101 and independent1 like this.
Old 12/15/2011, 06:37 AM   #16 (permalink)

Apple will not allow webOS on any Apple device. So mr average will simply not get webOS on their Apple devices. Only the few others who have a jailbreaked Apple devices that let's them setup a different OS if that is at all possible.
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0