webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What happens to Gestures and Touchstones...
What happens to Gestures and Touchstones...
Like Tree3Likes

Old 12/14/2011, 10:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

I would imagine that "Gestures" and the Touchstone system are proprietary to HP/Palm. Do you think anyone will want to license these if they decide to build webOS phones? I could see HP maybe open sourcing the gesture commands but not their inductive charging and data patents....

To me, these are some of primary features that make webOS unique, although not the only ones....
mdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 10:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Thing I've been curious about is if we will see the touchstone tech with HP's other products/ their windows slates.
geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 11:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
cgk

For all we know the inductive stuff is licensed and one of the things they need to eliminate - anyone know for certain?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The hardware itself certainly isn't, it's possible that the software end for Exhibition could be, but I'm guessing not - anyone else have anything like it?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 04:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

I would miss the touchstone. It's one of my favorite features!
nalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 05:00 PM   #6 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

They said they're gonna rewrite the licensed stuff, so that isn't a problem.

And even IF, then they could drop Exhibition and let it just inductive charge without showing Exhibition.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 05:47 PM   #7 (permalink)

I agree, Exhibition is nice, but the charging is the best. I could do without exhibition
nalek is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/14/2011, 06:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I've never understood why the Touchstone and Exhibition were linked together. There's no reason why you couldn't launch Exhibition mode any time the phone was charging. Right there you can keep Exhibition without the special hardware.

I do like the Touchstone charging, and I think it would be worthwhile for HP to give a free license to whatever company is willing to make WebOS phones, I just don't see it as necessary for Exhibition to work.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 07:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I would love it if they licensed the touchstone technology to the auto industry. I am so tired of the cable mess in my center dash for charging my phone and another cable for my GPS.

Wouldn’t it be great to just place your phone on a mat in your car and the phone starts to charge automatically? And that mat is built into the center console of the car?
nusome4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 07:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think inductive charging and exhibition are brilliant. I see a lot of pilfering on other fronts but not in these areas.
NoICon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 08:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think gestures are probably dead in the water, but I assume Exhibition will be open-sourced. Whether it will still be tied to inductive charging is anyone's guess, though.
jdlashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 08:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

I dont think gestures are something that really could have a patent for, they seem too analogous to other swiping systems.

I could see webOS containing the code to do gestures, but that simply be optional to the hardware maker, so the apps would have a back button as standard.
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 08:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nusome4 View Post
I would love it if they licensed the touchstone technology to the auto industry. I am so tired of the cable mess in my center dash for charging my phone and another cable for my GPS.

Wouldn’t it be great to just place your phone on a mat in your car and the phone starts to charge automatically? And that mat is built into the center console of the car?
Ive had a touchstone charger in my car for over a year now!

Bluetooth Stereo Automation | robmausser

Sadly, my Pre3 is too heavy for the touchstone to grip it vertically, so I am devising a fix.

Im going to cut one of these around the touchstone to grip the phone

http://www.amazon.com/Clingo-Univers...bosnation0e-20
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
They said they're gonna rewrite the licensed stuff, so that isn't a problem.
I don't understand how they are going to re-write this stuff without infringing. I work for a very large company, that does a lot of software development. One aspect that is drilled into us on a a yearly basis is that if you have access to code that a third party owns and that code would happen to make it into a product or even if you have been exposed to that code, then you are "contaminated" and barred from working on that product and any related product. This is done to ensure that there can be no contamination of our source with that of a third party.

Granted, in my example we are talking about accidental inclusion/exposure to third party code, whereas HP is talking about deliberately removing licensed third party code, but I think the example still applies.

Let's say that I own some code that HP licensed to include in webOS. Now HP is going to remove my code and replace it with their own in order to be able to open source this code. You can rest assured that I will have IP lawyers pouring over all of that design, code and documentation to make sure that none of my design, code, or intent remains in that code.

Replacing licensed code with their own is going to be practically impossible to do. First they will have to remove every developer who had any access to that licensed code, they will have to have "virgin" developers re-write that portion of the code that was removed and have it perform basically the same or very similar in function. Again, you can bet that my IP lawyers will be asking HP for documentation and proof that developers that had access to my code are indeed not working on replacing my code.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 09:35 PM   #15 (permalink)

I guess either way it's not a deal breaker for me if a company decides to build a webOS phone and cannot incorporate gestures and/or touchstone tech....

Sure would be nice though...
mdram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 04:01 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
I dont think gestures are something that really could have a patent for, they seem too analogous to other swiping systems.

I could see webOS containing the code to do gestures, but that simply be optional to the hardware maker, so the apps would have a back button as standard.
Apple has a patent for multitouch-gestures on pictures. Now, if Apple has such a dumb patent, who says Palm doesn't have a patent for the webOS-gestures then?
Old 12/15/2011, 04:09 AM   #17 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't think I ever want to buy a phone that doesn't have a touchstone sort of thing again unless something better comes around

Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Old 12/15/2011, 09:36 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

The issue is not gestures per se but rather the "gesture area", an area adjacent to the screen but not part of it which still is touch-sensitive and can be used to detect touch or gestures (like the swipe). There are other phones that have touch-sensitive virtual buttons but no one else has a gesture area as far as I know.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 10:11 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

The Galaxy Nexus has a gesture area beneath the screen, but it isn't used the buttons are provided software-wise. But they implemented a gesture area though, so it could be used by apps or by a webOS-port.
Old 12/15/2011, 07:02 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Where did you find out about this gesture area? I can't seem to hunt any info down.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0