webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Google's not-so profitable android venture?
Google's not-so profitable android venture?
Like Tree23Likes

Old 12/16/2011, 02:58 PM   #81 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post

but gosh are people still gonna be yapping about that great week on amazon and making excuses for why it isnt still out there and fantasizing that it would be outselling ipad2 if it were still out? imo, as much as i think webos was unique and deserved to be in the race, i really doubt it would have maintained the sales... unless they kept selling them at kindle prices.
Selling at Amazon's prices is a dream.
Amazon will soon bow out of the market. The $199.00 Kindle fire is a joke. Amazon thought they can beat Apple and others on the price. There are rumors that a large number of kindles have been returned.

Amazon ditched the camera and bluetooth to cut the cost, but they failed on software. The browser is one of the worst ever made.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 03:02 PM   #82 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
That's why I asked for clarification. The cloud thing has been around for a while and hasn't taken off. Why? Because most people aren't connected to the Internet 24/7. Even on cell phones cloud services suffer from slow connections and cellular dead spots breaking links between client and server. Instead of building their own service, licence the ones from Amazon and/or Google for the select few user that will actually use them.
+1
Well said. Licensing cloud service from others is better. There are many dead zones where the device fails to connect to the signal.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 03:48 PM   #83 (permalink)

What I love most about this thread, is that google's multi-billion dollar moneymaking foray into the mobile space is reported as a "not-so-profitable" endeavor.

Am I so far out of touch that BILLIONS OF FREAKING DOLLARS isn't significant anymore?

If that's not-so-profitable, I want to run a not-so-profitable business. There's room for niche OS's and money to be made on slivers of the HUGE market out there. You don't need to be the next apple killer, you just need to get your foot in the door while you work on the "game changer" that moves things in a whole new direction. WebOS is a great mobile OS, perhaps the best of this era if you simply look at usability, but it's going to look absolutely archaic once the next big game changer drops.

And the next big game-changer is coming. We'll all look back and laugh at our primitive selves tapping away on slabs of plastic and glass.

Want to dual boot Android on your Touchpad? Here's my guide: http://forums.webosnation.com/androi...ted-guide.html
ncinerate is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by k4ever likes this.
Old 12/16/2011, 04:11 PM   #84 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncinerate View Post
What I love most about this thread, is that google's multi-billion dollar moneymaking foray into the mobile space is reported as a "not-so-profitable" endeavor.

Am I so far out of touch that BILLIONS OF FREAKING DOLLARS isn't significant anymore?

If that's not-so-profitable, I want to run a not-so-profitable business. There's room for niche OS's and money to be made on slivers of the HUGE market out there. You don't need to be the next apple killer, you just need to get your foot in the door while you work on the "game changer" that moves things in a whole new direction. WebOS is a great mobile OS, perhaps the best of this era if you simply look at usability, but it's going to look absolutely archaic once the next big game changer drops.

And the next big game-changer is coming. We'll all look back and laugh at our primitive selves tapping away on slabs of plastic and glass.

But you still need $500-$1 billion minimum to get the economics on the hardware, unless you are knocking out coby crap, that's the problem.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 04:32 PM   #85 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
That's fine, but I don't see how you can dispute what I quoted right underneath that:

This is pretty clearly referencing the Kindle Fire itself.
That article was already discussed in detail the page before and notice that I did put out that the estimates are 3-5 million Fires sold by the end of the year. That article didn't tell how may were actually sold and when you just state to look at the article, without any explanation, then it makes it appear as if the Fire is selling a million per week, which is very much not the case.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by cobrakon likes this.
Old 12/16/2011, 04:38 PM   #86 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbp View Post
Selling at Amazon's prices is a dream.
Amazon will soon bow out of the market. The $199.00 Kindle fire is a joke. Amazon thought they can beat Apple and others on the price. There are rumors that a large number of kindles have been returned.

Amazon ditched the camera and bluetooth to cut the cost, but they failed on software. The browser is one of the worst ever made.
Are you basing all your facts on a Times article? From another article attacking the poor journalism of the Times article:

"The Kindle Fire is neither a bomb nor a failure precisely because there is no data -- as the article painfully demonstrates -- to suggest that either sales of the Kindle Fire have been disappointing or that Americans who have so far bought a Kindle Fire have, in fact, regretted or been meaningfully frustrated with their purchase in significant or aberrational numbers."

Funny that you're saying that missing the camera and bluetooth to cut costs are bad and that the browser is poor. The Touchpad doesn't even have a rear camera, bluetooths only good for a keyboard, and the browser is abysmal compared to Dolphin HD or Opera Mini. By slamming the Fire for leaving out features you also slam the Touchpad(no HDMI, no rear camera, no micro-SD slot, no way to video record, twice as thick as Ipad2).
Old 12/16/2011, 04:40 PM   #87 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't know if you were here before the fire sale. I don't believe you were, but everything the other poster mentioned was pre-fire sale data. There was some bad reviews at the began by some tech sites (just like everything else non-Apple or Microsoft), but everything up until a few days before Leo made his move were positive. The TouchPad was already being crowned #2. The fire sale just accelerated the process.

You talk a good game about margins on everything else, except when webOS is part of the story. Which Android hardware tablet maker besides Amazon is making money on hardware especially when most of it is sitting on shelves? No one is making Apple type money on their hardware they do sell and even then that profit is offset by the money being lost by the products that aren't in users hands ....

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
This is what makes the HP decision to not stick it out even more galling. RIM is in full implosion mode. Windows has been more talk than success and is facing problems of their own. Apple and Google are strong, but 'who would have thunk' that they would have any substantial challenge on the mobile front this time two years ago. For a number of users, Android is merely the best "non-Apple" alternative.

All of the whiners seem to think that where Palm/webOS was was where they were doomed to stay. Had there been a long term plan, not just a "if we don't turn a profit this next quarter..." type of mindset, things COULD have been different.

Obviously, that would require that HP be willing to learn from their mistakes and step up their game, not at all a guarantee. If they had focused on a business strategy they could have picked up some portion of the business market by threading the security concerns of corporate IT departments and consumers wanting a full feature smartphone. If there was a better alternative our company probably would have banned Android based phones altogether.

Too late now, but such a shame

C
Old 12/16/2011, 05:26 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Hasn't the purchase of Motorola been over for months now? Where are Google's lawyers when HTC, Samsung, B&N, and (insert other Android hardware makers here) need them in court? Why is Google not counter-suing Microsoft or Apple using these patents? Also it is kind of late for HTC and Samsung who are now paying $10-15 per device to Microsoft. I think the only one that benefits from the Motorola purchase is Google. I don't think they care about the others they should be defending. Besides, Microsoft has pulled this crap before with Linux so Google and others should have seen this coming.
Don't really keep up on tech news do you? HTC was given patents from Motorola to defend itself and HTC used those patents, turn around, and sued right back. Samsung's legal problems with Apple have more to do with the hardware and asthetics. You're also inflating the numbers to make it look worse than it is. HTC pays $5 per handset in fees to Microsoft.

HTC sues Apple using Google, Motorola patents - SlashGear

If WebOS would have become a top tier player I bet MS or Apple would have taken a swipe at them too, but it patent wars you wait until your prey becomes extremely popular and then you hit them to get the most money.
Old 12/16/2011, 07:10 PM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
Engadget:
Android devices in total also saw a slight contraction, down from 33.2 percent to 32.4 percent. This is partly explained by the HP TouchPad's final hurrah, which rocketed the ill-fated webOS tablet up to third place with a 5 percent of share of tablet sales and an estimated 903,354 devices sold. Samsung maintained its Honeycomb tablet crown, nabbing 5.6 percent of all tablet sales.

IDC 12-15-2011

Courtroom:
Judge speaking: "In the matter of Touchpad being number 2 tablet, we find no evidence to support that claim. Case dismissed." (Judge strikes gravel)
Click to view quoted image

Scene: Touchpad, upon hearing the Judge's verdict, slowly rises from the chair, and turns slowly towards the exit, touchstone in hand. (Scene fades to black).
Uh, what???

http://bit.ly/vicTOry

why aren't people buying the verizon iphone4
comscore-android-passes-ios-and-rim-for-u-s-smartphone-subscriber-share/
http://www.itproportal.com/2011/07/2...-market-share/
ipad-2-think-twice-about-buying/
cobrakon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 07:28 PM   #90 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
I had read that article earlier and did bring it up because it's 1 million "Kindles" sold per week, not "Fires". They numbers that Amazon was a combination of the Kindle, Kindle Touch, and Kindle Fire. They aren't giving a break down of how much of each are sold. Analysts do have the Kindle Fire selling 3-5 million devices by the end of the year.
Thanks i misread that. That or the other article i read misstated it. Regardless that makes more sense.
Old 12/16/2011, 11:04 PM   #91 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
Don't really keep up on tech news do you? HTC was given patents from Motorola to defend itself and HTC used those patents, turn around, and sued right back. Samsung's legal problems with Apple have more to do with the hardware and asthetics. You're also inflating the numbers to make it look worse than it is. HTC pays $5 per handset in fees to Microsoft.

HTC sues Apple using Google, Motorola patents - SlashGear

If WebOS would have become a top tier player I bet MS or Apple would have taken a swipe at them too, but it patent wars you wait until your prey becomes extremely popular and then you hit them to get the most money.
Good post. It's good to see them doing something. The amount of money HTC and Samsung pay Microsoft is different depending on the site you go to. I agree wholeheartedly with your last statement. That's why you should be prepared as much as you can for a patent fight before you release a product. Microsoft has done this before...
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 11:49 PM   #92 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbp View Post
Yup,
I would add that there are a million returned. Mostly the Kindle Fires. Yup. quite a lot of them are going back.
If you're going to make bold claims, back them up with verifiable sources.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 11:50 PM   #93 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
404 Not Found.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0