webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Do you think that #openSourceWebOS will #saveWebOS?
Do you think that #openSourceWebOS will #saveWebOS?
Like Tree7Likes

Old 12/12/2011, 10:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Do you think that #openSourceWebOS will #saveWebOS?
hpsalesguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 10:43 AM   #2 (permalink)

https://twitter.com/#!/search?q=%23openSourceWebOS
Old 12/12/2011, 11:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

#OpenSourceWebOS will not #killWebOS, and that's a start. #NextFewMonths will determine if #webOSLives, or becomes a #geeksToy
Old 12/12/2011, 11:11 AM   #4 (permalink)

It depends if it manage to grab attention of people behind Linux, webkit &webkit2 development and skilled software engenders in general.
Old 12/12/2011, 11:39 AM   #5 (permalink)

at the very least RIM is ****ting their pants over the billions they invested in QNX
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 11:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm no expert but I'm owning towards no. I don't see why anyone would use anything thats already out there and better established.
Even with having to power Microsoft, those who used Android are still posting all these quarterly profits. No company is going to stray away from something they're used to (Android) and more importantly, profits.
Dazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazo View Post
I'm no expert but I'm owning towards no. I don't see why anyone would use anything thats already out there and better established.
Even with having to power Microsoft, those who used Android are still posting all these quarterly profits. No company is going to stray away from something they're used to (Android) and more importantly, profits.
Samsung and HTC seem to have some space left for risk. Take Samsung as example - currently they have about 90 devices based on Android, all still aviable Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
if you look at this list, how manny bestsellers you can count? Dont get me wrong, I own Galaxy S, and I'm cool with Android, but not all of this phones are profitble. Sammy could easy make webOS phone and survive risk involved.
Old 12/12/2011, 12:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
at the very least RIM is ****ting their pants over the billions they invested in QNX
One of the most promising deals can be RIM + HP.

RIM focuses on Phones while HP works on Tablets.

RIM still makes money from Blackberry phones. They are not totally dependent on webOS to survive. HP can wait to see if Windows 8 is any good while working along webOS software for another 2013 tablet launch.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Samsung and HTC seem to have some space left for risk. Take Samsung as example - currently they have about 90 devices based on Android, all still aviable Phone Finder results - GSMArena.com
if you look at this list, how manny bestsellers you can count? Dont get me wrong, I own Galaxy S, and I'm cool with Android, but not all of this phones are profitble. Sammy could easy make webOS phone and survive risk involved.

Samsung already is pouring money into Bada, which is a pile of dung in my opinion but it means that they arent really interested in webOS.

At the very least I could see them taking code from webOS and using it in Bada.
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

Honestly, I think over the next few years a small handul of devices will come out, both tablets and phones, and a few of them will make the webOS geeks very happy while others will be cheap crap (i.e. the $99 webOS tablet will be back... in the same form as the current $99 android tablets). But they'll never be more than niche devices for a small audience. Likewise, in 6 months to a year webOS builds for various Android devices will become available, and these again will make the webOS geeks very happy.

However, after a few years, webOS will still have no identifiable market penetration. What little app developer interest is left will die off, and many of the few apps we have now will have stopped working on open-source builds of webOS. It'll continue on for a few more years in the hands of the tech hobbyists and webOS diehards, but by 2020 webOS will be a memory with naught but a few thousand devices in use.

The market already has an open-source Linux-based mobile OS in Android and has no use for another one even if it is better in many ways. Android is too far ahead already, and will be so much further ahead by the time open source webOS emerges from it's closed source cocoon. The best we can hope for long-term is that bits of webOS will find their way into Android.

I hope I'm wrong of course, and at least for awhile I'll be one of the webOS geeks believing that each new version of webOS or new device will be The One that finally propels webOS to the top where it was always suppsed to be. Maybe one of them will be. During those times I'll remember what I said here, and believe that I'd been wrong as part of me does even now.

I'd be a lot more optimistic if HP had been more optimistic. If the open source announcement had been combined with a commitment to make the upcoming win8 tablet(s) available in webOS form as well, or even better if they had put the TouchPad Go into production, along with some intention of getting a phone from HTC or Samsung to be their equivalent of Google's Nexus One. But HP was too cautious: no tablets for over a year at best, no phones at all. I'm not going to be any more optimistic than HP.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:35 PM   #11 (permalink)

We need phones that will run WEBOS ASAP or a way to run WEBOS on the existing phones ASAP
tungsten c#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
gbp

Quote:
Samsung already is pouring money into Bada, which is a pile of dung in my opinion but it means that they arent really interested in webOS.

very true, based on the typical Sammy culture. They are the smartest of the lot who copy from others.

Wait a sec, did I just say all korean products do the same (Hyundai cars are copycats of everyone from honda,lexus, mercedes).

Sony IMO makes sense. But Sony is brain dead about fifteen years back. webOS open source can help Intel,RIM,Samsung more than anyone out there.
gbp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

As a devoted Linux user for many years, one of the things I've always thought we were missing was a good, solid open source OS for mobile devices; naturally, when I heard the news that HP was open sourcing WebOS, I found myself all a quiver at the possibilities.

As others have said above, we know at this point that the move to open source, at very least, keeps WebOS alive. I'm hopeful that, with time and experience, we might see WebOS become the mobile equivalent to Ubuntu (I realise that's a bit of a dream at this point, but one I'll certainly hope for!)

Would it not be awesome, as a WebOS fan, to be able to buy whatever hardware you like, take it home, and then simply load up WebOS to make it yours? Again, it's a dream - but a nice one that, for the first time, is at least a faint possibility.

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 05:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

WebOS is doomed to fail - ZDNet

This is what people "outside the bubble" are saying...
astark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 06:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

HP's New Plan For WebOS: Meg Whitman's Signature Effort - Forbes

A more interesting spin--Enderle thinks webOS success or failure is now tied to Whitman as a "CEO project"

really nice one here thinks webOS is Plan B for those who don't want to be totally beholden to Google:
http://www.h-online.com/open/feature...e-1393948.html

Article here from Gizmodo suggests various ways forward for webOS, author seems to be hoping:
Webos News, Videos, Reviews and Gossip - Gizmodo

Last edited by bluenote; 12/12/2011 at 07:43 PM.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 04:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:

I'd agree with you that Bada is a pile of dung, it's not something I'd ever consider but the bottom line is that one Bada has outsold WebOS (and WP7 for that matter) pretty consistently and by an increasing margin (especially since there is no WebOS hardware).

I think people need to come back to reality a bit when they talk about WebOS and it taking on Android and iOS - it has to beat WP7 and Bada first - both of which are having a lot of money thrown at them. Need to walk before you can run.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Old 12/13/2011, 04:44 AM   #17 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by astark View Post
WebOS is doomed to fail - ZDNet

This is what people "outside the bubble" are saying...
Jean-Louis Gassée feels the same.

I think at the moment, we simply don't have enough information to call it either way and will not for at least a year.

Last edited by CGK; 12/13/2011 at 06:46 AM.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Old 12/13/2011, 06:07 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:

There was a rumour some time ago about Samsung open sourcing Bada. That would be tough competition for webOS.

Samsung taking Bada open source in 2012? -- Engadget
Old 12/13/2011, 07:31 AM   #19 (permalink)

Forbes is positive about the webOS opportunity, I thought it good enough to get a separate thread:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...portunity.html
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 12:01 PM   #20 (permalink)

so I guess it depends on what we mean by #saveWebOS. It will certainly be around in the form of a science project that will end up on some devices by the will of device owners and webOS faithful.

if we are to see serious adoption from a large device OEM (Samy, HTC...), It will take some big commitment from HP to promote and support the platform. We will see.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0