webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Future phones to run 2.x or 3.x?
Future phones to run 2.x or 3.x?
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ToniCipriani

Old 12/12/2011, 08:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

With the open source project, would you expect future phones to run the older 2.x or adapt to run the tablets 3.x version? It would seem to me that having all devices on the same version would finally be a good thing, but not sure if thats technically how things would work?
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 08:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

The obvious path Is 3.x
Old 12/12/2011, 08:28 AM   #3 (permalink)

I expect no future phone.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

I am just hopeful in time as the OS will mature hopefully once its open sourced fully, a vendor like htc or ANYONE will make an option for a phone, just dont know how that would work considering it would have to work on each different cell provider. Being I have Sprint, I doubt they'd carry it anyway...
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

If anyone ports WebOS to other phone hardware, it should be 3.0 because other phone hardware will not have a gesture area. We'll see that before we see new hardware made for it. And I think it's more likely that a manufacturer would just use an existing hardware design, or something very like it, and using 3.0 rather than creating new hardware with a gesture area.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 11:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

yes, I think the below-screen gesture area is gone for good. much can be done with screen-area gestures though, from the simple webOS 3.0.2 swipe-up to the other gestures introduced by patches.
johnsonx42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
If anyone ports WebOS to other phone hardware, it should be 3.0 because other phone hardware will not have a gesture area. We'll see that before we see new hardware made for it. And I think it's more likely that a manufacturer would just use an existing hardware design, or something very like it, and using 3.0 rather than creating new hardware with a gesture area.
Some phones have the buttons implemented via a capacitive touch area (e.g. on the Nexus S), I can't see why that can't be converted to be a gesture area.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 12/12/2011, 01:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm more curious about touchstone compatibility. I wonder if future manufacturers would even bother.
Old 12/12/2011, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

3.0 makes no sense since the applications and OS in general is built for the big screen. I think porting 2.3 to other phones and continually adding features is the best way to go. It will save developers time and it makes more sense. Also, the gestures aren't much different between the two. If you port WebOS 2.X to the iPhone you can use the home button as a one tap card view. Not hard...

Also, the notifications in 3.X are NOT meant for smaller screens. They extend across the notification bar, which simply has no room on a 3-4'' screen. How are they going to convert he email app to have proper room to display on a smaller screen? It has three panels which you drag across which makes no sense. It would be pure stupidity to port 3.X to a smaller phone and waste time trying to make sense out of it.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 02:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltraMav View Post
I'm more curious about touchstone compatibility. I wonder if future manufacturers would even bother.
Since HP is not making phones, I think they should license it out. The Touchstone is great, but there's no reason in principle the same can't be available for other phones.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 03:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I don't think we really know what makes sense at all, until we see what the capabilities that are available in the source codes for what we get are. And will we even get 2.x?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0