webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS Development Idea(s) Center
webOS Development Idea(s) Center
Like Tree50Likes

Old 12/11/2011, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Welcome to the thread: "webOS Development Idea(s) Center"
(OR) formally known as:

TheNextWebOS

Project webOSX

*****This thread is a joint partnership with dr3wster's "webOS Open Source Ideas Hub"******
The Open Source Ideas Hub serves as the thread for all finalized ideas for submitting into the complete
idea catalog. Whereas, this thread serves as the thread for submitting new, budding ideas for critiquing,
advice, and perfecting. Please post ideas here first! I appreciate dr3wster's continuous effort to keep the
developing alive!

Please visit his thread here:

http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...ideas-hub.html

Don't forget to see the Highlight Ideas below!

NOTE: Please subscribe to this thread to make the most out of it!

The purpose of this thread is to provide a center place for all webOS users/non-users to brainstorm/create/ collaborate/criticize new designs for ideas/enhancements/applications and to question the practicality of/improve current things on webOS. This thread will allow anyone to collaborate and perfect ideas up to the point that they are simply amazing and will truly benefit webOS.

*****To be precise, if you have a brand new idea for webOS, this is the ideal place to submit it for all other users to critique, perfect, and modify before submitting a final design/idea. *****

Any ideas can be posted on this thread with:
1)Your name/username
2)Description/explanation of your idea
3)(Optional)(Recommended)Link/Attachment of your photo(s) depicting your idea as a visual aid

*****This thread will also have HUGE collaboration ideas that are massive and bold ideas/redesigns to
webOS. ALL USERS ARE INVITED TO COLLABORATE ON THESE IDEAS BY POSTING AND
PARTICIPATING IN THIS THREAD.*******

H I G H L I G H T | I D E A S
(Highlight Ideas: February-March 2012)

This month's Highlight Ideas are:

1. 2-Sided Cards (Page 1)
By jgoooopats

webOS is the king of multitasking, but in terms of organization there is room for improvement.
But how?? Well, jgoooooooooooopats has answered this baffling question!
I would like to applaud jgoooopats on his genius idea for 2-sided cards. This idea allows users on
webOS to "flip" cards to their opposite side! Genius! Doing this can save space, and provide an even
better way to organize similar apps! It even captures the fact that cards have TWO sides! This card
design will bring storm to Open webOS for sure! The only question is: what should go on the opposite
side for each card? You decide! Post a reply to his idea!

2. Splitscreen Cards (Page 1)
By ShiftyAxel

Another genius idea! ShiftyAxel's design calls makes full use of touch gestures, cards, and brings
something that all users itch for: the ability to run two apps on the same screen AT THE SAME TIME!!!!
Who wouldn't want something as advantageous as that idea!? This idea was used before on the
infamous phone, the Kyocera Echo, that ultimately had some design flaws and was terminated by
Sprint before anyone could even say "Splitscreen is awesome." So, who's up for some true multi-
tasking? I know that I am! Have any suggestions or ideas to make this idea even better?? Then
reply to ShiftyAxel's post on page 1! Now, how about running 8 apps at the same time on an
HP Touchpad?

Please make an effort to develop and bring these ideas to life!

Priority Updates:
1) (!) Collaboration Idea #1 Coming Soon(!): webOSX

2) Objectives of webOSX-
1-Superior ease of use
2-Simplistic look and design
3-Extremely quick and efficient
4-Ease to access anything and everything
5-Of course, TONS of mock-ups

Official Rules:
1A - Rules can be modified, deleted, or added to meet demands/needs at any time.

Thread Author's Announcement(s):

1) Hi everyone. I'm really sorry about all the delays, it's really busy here at the moment. Expect to see new updates very soon. After I get used to the new website that is

2) I wanted to keep this a secret, but here's a sneak peek:
I am creating a full on complete redesign of the interface and UI of webOS. For now, the project will be called webOSX!
All users are welcome to help out by joining/posting on this thread. Coming Soon!

Design(s) Compilation:

(This part has been cancelled and removed, Announcement soon!!)

H I G H L I G H T | I D E A S
(Highlight Ideas: February-March 2012)

This month's Highlight Ideas are:

1. 2-Sided Cards (Page 1)
By jgoooopats

webOS is the king of multitasking, but in terms of organization there is room for improvement.
But how?? Well, jgoooooooooooopats has answered this baffling question!
I would like to applaud jgoooopats on his genius idea for 2-sided cards. This idea allows users on
webOS to "flip" cards to their opposite side! Genius! Doing this can save space, and provide an even
better way to organize similar apps! It even captures the fact that cards have TWO sides! This card
design will bring storm to Open webOS for sure! The only question is: what should go on the opposite
side for each card? You decide! Post a reply to his idea!

2. Splitscreen Cards (Page 1)
By ShiftyAxel

Another genius idea! ShiftyAxel's design calls makes full use of touch gestures, cards, and brings
something that all users itch for: the ability to run two apps on the same screen AT THE SAME TIME!!!!
Who wouldn't want something as advantageous as that idea!? This idea was used before on the
infamous phone, the Kyocera Echo, that ultimately had some design flaws and was terminated by
Sprint before anyone could even say "Splitscreen is awesome." So, who's up for some true multi-
tasking? I know that I am! Have any suggestions or ideas to make this idea even better?? Then
reply to ShiftyAxel's post on page 1! Now, how about running 8 apps at the same time on an
HP Touchpad?

________________________________________________________________________________
I'd like to thank all users that participate(d) in this thread for their fresh and intriguing ideas! I will be posting
"Highlight Ideas" monthly, whereas two refreshing, intriguing, and bold ideas will be posted in this first post
as ideas to look out for!

Thanks for all your hard work, keep designing!
--gamecreator08

Last edited by gamecreator08; 02/29/2012 at 12:38 AM. Reason: clarifications, updates, chart, ideas, organization, revisions, updates, rules, information, and direction
gamecreator08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 04:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

David Massing/Balooz
FOE App (Fraternal Order Of Eagles)
its a non profit organization dedicated to maintaining, improving, and contributing to the communities. Diabetic Research, altheizmers, cancer, scientific research , Etc.
My app (in development) will lists the history, current foe news, contributions, new Aeries, locations, information, charities, directions, recent achievements goals,etc.. I am donating all proceeds to the Eagles. (prolly 99 cents) "People Helping People"
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 05:03 AM   #3 (permalink)

I am trying to develop this app as my first one. Due to lack of experience and mainly hardware, to test on, my progress is unacceptably slow. I am trying to develop for all webos platforms. (pre2, pre3,veer, touchpad,touchpad go) currently only using pre minus for hardware and emulator I hope to progress further as I am able to acquire others. .
Balooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 06:15 AM   #4 (permalink)

How about usb drivers? It would be nice if we can connect our device to a storage device and just get we want without a need of a PC. An old Samsung mp3 player had that kind of support back in 2006.
cagdasbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by gerzhwin and saf69 like this.
Old 12/14/2011, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

John Dressel / JED-WEB-OS
Return to original App Launcher from webOS version 1.4.5 but with the patches from webOS Internals to allow the users to control the number of Icons, add or delete named pages, hide the quick launch bar, glass effect and other user configurable options to customize their launcher
Liked by retroblu, SmartKidsOnTheRun and gerzhwin like this.
Old 12/14/2011, 07:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagdasbas View Post
How about usb drivers? It would be nice if we can connect our device to a storage device and just get we want without a need of a PC. An old Samsung mp3 player had that kind of support back in 2006.
This is more of a hardware problem than software problem. With some DIY it is already possible! http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...ide-power.html
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecreator08 View Post
Welcome to the thread: "webOS Development Idea(s) Center"
(OR) formally known as:

TheNextWebOS

The purpose of this thread is to provide a center place for all webOS users/non-users to brainstorm/create/ collaborate/criticize new designs for ideas/enhancements/applications and to question the practicality of/improve current things on webOS. This thread will allow anyone to collaborate and perfect ideas up to the point that they are simply amazing and will truly benefit webOS. Any ideas can be posted on this thread with:
1)Your name/username
2)Description/explanation of your idea
3)(Optional)Link/Attachment of your photo(s) depicting your idea as a visual aid

Please make an effort to find developers that are up to the task to develop these ideas!
So, your plan is to capture the entirety of webOSnation (formerly known as P|C) in a single thread. Good luck with that.
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
So, your plan is to capture the entirety of webOSnation (formerly known as P|C) in a single thread. Good luck with that.
No, the purpose of this thread is essentially to design new ideas and advancements for webOS once it is open source. The plan is to perfect webOS by the community of webOS supporters/users.
Old 12/14/2011, 09:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

(Ignore)

Last edited by gamecreator08; 02/28/2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12/15/2011, 05:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

Jack Lind/jgoooopats

How about 2 sided cards. The second side could have links, search results relating to whats open on the front side. Idk what type of gesture could be used to "flip" the card, or if it should just have a corner tab to tap to flip it. I'm not a developer, just an idea man. I think 2 sided cards would be cool and useful.

There are lots of different ways to apply multi sided cards. Multiple email accounts, games,
spreadsheets, documents, calenders, Etc....... It would take multitasking to a whole new level.

Last edited by jgoooopats; 12/23/2011 at 07:37 AM. Reason: adding details
jgoooopats is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by speedygodzilla, mstrblueskys, jtran51 and 5 others like this.
Old 12/15/2011, 07:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Josh Palmer/ShiftyAxel
Splitscreen cards, you perform a two-finger spread on a stack of two cards and they both come into focus, one on each half of the screen. Both can be accessed, and text can be selected in one card and drag-dropped over to the other as an alternative to copy and paste.
The part of the screen that the cards take up does not change with screen orientation, but the cards do rotate. I imagine it would work far better in landscape, but my Pre3 doesn't do that in the launcher so for now I'll leave that to your imaginations
I imagine this would be really good on the Touchpad with it's extra screen real-estate, and apps shouldn't have any trouble scaling. Even on the pre3, 800x480 divides quite nicely into two 400x480 segments, so as long as the app can run fine on a Veer then it should have no problems.

I actually plan to try forking the LunaSysMgr code and implementing this myself when it gets opensourced. Attached is a photoshop demonstrating the idea, apologies for the poor quality and incorrect scaling, but I need to sleep

Also jgoooopats, that's a really cool idea. Facebook could have your notifications on the back or something perhaps the trigger could be dragging the card to the gesture area and releasing? Currently that focuses the card, but I'd prefer it to be something more useful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Multimultitasking.jpg (152.1 KB, 100 views) Email Attachment
Old 12/18/2011, 06:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

There is a endless amount of potential for Web OS. Especially in multi-tasking. Its all ready a great OS. All the people here at WebOS nation can make it a world beater.

I would really like to see the focus to be on portability though. We all need new hardware.
Old 12/18/2011, 07:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Surely, surely.. even if it is only a perceptive 'issue', enabling early webOS access to and subsequent use of a couple of 'other' App. Markets, would do much to balance the equations around the broader public perception (and thereby 'use') of the OS in general.. and also in 'other' devices thereby, too!

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 12:26 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecreator08 View Post
No, the purpose of this thread is essentially to design new ideas and advancements for webOS once it is open source. The plan is to perfect webOS by the community of webOS supporters/users.
The thread could get pretty long. What about tracking the reasonable request/changes in some kind of google shared doc/spreadsheet, where of course only a couple of people could add/change things but all can view.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: gamecreator08
Old 12/19/2011, 02:23 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

ShiftyAxel/Josh Palmer
Animated Lockscreen, this is a design for a prettier lockscreen with a smooth animation between locked/unlocked.
Attached is an example. when the phone is locked, the lock screen overlay (composed of the launcher scrim, time and lock icon) slides up to cover the homescreen. As soon as it finished moving, the screen fades and turns off. When the user drags the lock and unlocks the device, the lock icon fades out and the card slides up off the screen, revealing the homescreen.
An alternate animation could be the exhibition mode transition, only sped up. The fade/zoom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NewLockscreen.jpg (234.5 KB, 64 views) Email Attachment
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 12/19/2011, 03:43 PM   #16 (permalink)

Yeah, That is a cool idea. I think the pin unlock keypad for the touchpad should be optimized too. It's now the same as the pre. Needs to be bigger or just different.
Old 12/19/2011, 11:27 PM   #17 (permalink)

Priority #1: Create organized document/spreadsheet of ideas/designs. Please send me your email to gain viewing privileges to document/spreadsheet. System of selecting administrators/editors/commenters to be presented soon.
Old 12/20/2011, 12:00 AM   #18 (permalink)

A spreadsheet/document will be created that compiles the best or most liked designs/ideas for TheNextWebOS/WebOS. To have your idea/design added to this collaborative document/spreadsheet, your idea/design must have at least 5 likes.

Rule 1A: Rules can be modified to meet demands/needs at any time.

All rules/info will be compiled together in this thread and on the document.
Again, send me a request for viewing privileges** to this document/spreadsheet by sending me a message. The document/spreadsheet will be on google docs.

**To gain access to *edit* designs/ideas, you must volunteer to commit to developing (some/all of) these ideas/designs into actual products. Send me a message for more details.

--gamecreator08
TheNextWebOS Project
Old 12/20/2011, 01:27 AM   #19 (permalink)

I've always wanted invisible toggle that can make all your cards hidden from view.

And we know rotation lock is on all of our minds.
jtran51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 12/20/2011, 06:32 AM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Tap the system menu, tap Rotation Lock .. ?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by CvvB and xandros9 like this.

Tags
open source, thenextwebos, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0