webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS Development Idea(s) Center
webOS Development Idea(s) Center
Like Tree50Likes

Old 12/20/2011, 07:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

How about additional browsers! This is the biggest drawback of WebOS right now, I can do without all the fart apps.
cbeon13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jblather, ltyarbro42 and RumoredNow like this.
Old 12/20/2011, 12:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

I think, as great as Ubercalendar is compared to the stock (unpatched) calendar app, I'd really like to see something more along the lines of DateBK.

Some options for cleaning up the messaging app are needed, as it slows down once you have a large number of messages in each person's thread. Something like the 'Purge' option from PalmOS.

The Camera and Photos apps are also in need of an overhaul - 'rotate image', change resolution, adjust white balance, ability to move/copy/delete/rename images etc.

The Videos app needs loads more codecs and a quicker file browser.
Old 12/28/2011, 02:10 PM   #23 (permalink)

I like a lot of the ideas in here - double sided cards, multicard display (I'm seeing that much like Windows 8, supporting two different side-by-side resolutions so you could have a small twitter feed (1/4 the width) for example which you could tap to expand (to 2/3 width) to send messages), nicer lock screens...

I mainly have small gripes. For example, I wish file browser controls on websites did /something/, even just bringing up the neutered file picker already present in the OS. I wish you could see more detail pretty much everywhere - connected WiFi speed, download speeds (ETAs even, just a filename and progress bar is not enough), centralised downloads so you don't have to leave browser cards open etc. The fact that all my album artwork from music gets added to the photos app in seperate folders is a constant annoyance, and I can't figure a way to get rid/stop all 80 odd folders showing up, which basically makes the photos app entirely useless because it takes longer to load and find the picture you want than just to browse to it in Internalz - why can't I exclude specific locations in the photos app? Then of course, there's that ~3 minute start up time...

In general I find the OS responsive and snappy, website rendering is generally acceptable (although when it doesn't work its incredibly annoying, thus definetly warrants updating (if possible without breaking /everything/)), synergy's amazing as long as you use the right services (ie, we need more synergy support), and the list goes on... It's got a lot going for it, and a lot not...

Fyi I'm a software developer with a degree in Computer Science who got a 'Pad in the sale, and I'm really hoping I can contribute some enhancements to webOS' open source future. It needs to get out of the awkward situation of being admired by many nerds but bought by few thanks to the lackluster hardware and somewhat underdeveloped software.
wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ChrisFFM86 and shane.kelly55 like this.
Thanked by Daughain, shane.kelly55
Old 01/08/2012, 06:07 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedders View Post
The fact that all my album artwork from music gets added to the photos app in seperate folders is a constant annoyance, and I can't figure a way to get rid/stop all 80 odd folders showing up, which basically makes the photos app entirely useless because it takes longer to load and find the picture you want than just to browse to it in Internalz - why can't I exclude specific locations in the photos app?
I included the album art in the files’ tag, so no issue here.

But to define specific locations would come in handy!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ChrisFFM86 likes this.
Old 01/10/2012, 05:17 AM   #25 (permalink)

ShiftyAxel's split-screen idea is what I most crave on the touchpad, and I think many others would also love it. Glimpse is one of the more popular apps for that device, demonstrating the demand for even limited split-screen features.

Being able to have _any_ two apps run side by side (as opposed to using widgets, or having one in the foreground and others actually running in the background)--eg. two browser windows, or a PDF and evernote, a flash-card app, you get the idea--would make the touchpad very useful for studying and research.

It'd also be a great way to differentiate webOS now that android's multitasking capabilities are maturing. I don't know for sure, but I don't think android supports OS-level split-screen yet, even though I reckon it should be able to with the way it handles windowing.

A better browser would be awesome. One with reflowing, tabs and a useful settings panel

Being able to easily chroot into an android partition (the way you can with ubuntu) may be interesting, given that many touchpads out there probably dual boot webOS and android. I have no idea how one might get android's surfaceflinger to play nice with webOS, with or without X.

Finally (for now), it may be good to embrace some aspects of android, so that people who have experience with using android feel more at home in webOS. I'm thinking specifically of a system-wide soft "back" button and the option to have the notification bar on the bottom of the screen. The "tablet tweaks" part of CM7 is what's made gingerbread so usable (and attractive ) on tablets, and it may prove to be just as ergonomical on webOS.
protiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 04:57 PM   #26 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecreator08 View Post
A spreadsheet/document will be created that compiles the best or most liked designs/ideas for TheNextWebOS/WebOS. To have your idea/design added to this collaborative document/spreadsheet, your idea/design must have at least 5 likes.
Good stuff, any idea when this document will be available for adding to? I have quite a few ideas I'd like to make known. However I don't think it's a great idea to start filtering out people's ideas through the like system, perhaps some sort of voting system instead?

I can very much see something like that working when webOS is finally fully open source and development is in full swing; x amount of ideas from the list are put into a poll every few weeks/month, then developers who wish to can make what the community wants.
Of course, developers would be free to develop whatever ideas they like, but it would be a good way of gauging what the community as a whole desires.
Old 01/11/2012, 03:26 AM   #27 (permalink)

In that case perhaps post the list on a forum not primarily frequented by developers
protiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Dogma likes this.
Old 01/11/2012, 06:33 AM   #28 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'd say that there's a fairly even spread of developers and non-developers, the user coverage really depends on what subforum you post it in. And then there's the possibility of getting it on the front page, seeing as it'd be quite relevant, current news.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2012, 01:00 AM   #29 (permalink)

Hi everyone, gamecreator08 is here. The like system of selecting is quite similar to the voting system and is designed to cut down time in terms of selecting design ideas. However, if many people prefer the voting system instead, I can set that up. The document/spreadsheet will instead be posted on the first post of this forum which will be in effect by the end of MLK Jr. Day. I have been busy working on 2 complete redesign themes of webOS. Looking forward to presenting it with mockup pictures soon! Also, would monthly contests be a good idea as well?
gamecreator08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/19/2012, 09:56 PM   #30 (permalink)

Teaser of design collaboration. Details soon!

--gamecreator08
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cooltext628740017.jpg (7.4 KB, 35 views) Email Attachment
gamecreator08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/20/2012, 12:31 PM   #31 (permalink)

Visual Voicemail
LizardWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2012, 09:30 AM   #32 (permalink)

Did anyone mention the ability to swipe between open cards on a tablet, like the advanced gestures feature on phones?
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2012, 07:10 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Did anyone mention the ability to swipe between open cards on a tablet, like the advanced gestures feature on phones?
1. The feature you are asking for is great on the phone below I think I have the answer on how a dev could implement it.

2. Both phone and tablet need a card swipe that will switch between cards within 1 stack. (if I have 5 cards in one stack, its painful to figure out which browser card I want. So card swipe would be able to quickly search the stack kinda like windows vista does with the windows key. But of course in a different way bring the next app in the stack to the front of the stack so I can quickly glance at it.

( my idea on how this will work is pretty simple. Top half of the screen will do card swipe. And bottom half will do full swipe. Or full stack swipe. . In app swipe or advanced swipe could be done by holding down the centre button and doing a swipe. Or a two finger swipe would be cool.

. Its also a pain not knowing which cards I have open in a stack because webOS did not make it so every app must have their name displayed within top left corner so you can read what app it is while in card view, this needs to be fixed, it defeats the purpose of having an organized stack.

Man I wish I was a dev. Lol
Greg Mair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/21/2012, 09:02 PM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

honestly, the iOS 4-finger left-right works quite nicely, although i often question just what the hell order it puts them in.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 04:22 PM   #35 (permalink)

Multiple users/profile system. It'd be pretty unique the OS I imagine. There is an assumption that tablets are single user, which they are for the most part. From personal experience my touchpad is handled by everyone in my family, myself, my wife and both my kids.

If I could switch to a child mode/user before I hand it off to my kids then I wouldn't have to worry about them finding a way to execute a software reset. It would be helpful to have a favorites tab that is personalized for them as well.

I'm not sure if the amount of development would justify the feature or even how useful it would be for others. I imagine it would help distinguish webOS from the other mobile operating systems.
bakagaijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/26/2012, 09:53 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Multiple users/profile system. It'd be pretty unique the OS I imagine. There is an assumption that tablets are single user, which they are for the most part. From personal experience my touchpad is handled by everyone in my family, myself, my wife and both my kids.

If I could switch to a child mode/user before I hand it off to my kids then I wouldn't have to worry about them finding a way to execute a software reset. It would be helpful to have a favorites tab that is personalized for them as well.

I'm not sure if the amount of development would justify the feature or even how useful it would be for others. I imagine it would help distinguish webOS from the other mobile operating systems.
I've wanted this for so long. Its pretty stupid to think a tablet is going to stay a 1 person computer. As more people get tabs the less they will buy laptops. I hate that my kids can see my facebook, emails, text messages anytime they want. This has made me not use the facebook app anymore and pretty much now made it a child's toy.
Old 01/27/2012, 03:59 PM   #37 (permalink)

I had some ideas, mainly involving the card metaphor. I think it would be awesome to take interaction with stacks to a whole new level. For example, two finger upwards flick could be used to eliminate an entire stack. Two finger hold would allow you to move a stack around and combine it with other stacks. Spreading your two fingers horizontally across a stack would "explode" the stack into single cards, side-by-side with the bottom of the stack on the left and the cards that were on top towards the right. Holding two fingers and then releasing one on a stack would allow you to "sift" through the cards, as you slowly move your finger horizontally across each card in the stack it slides out to the left and then slides back in as you pop out the next card.
Blasphemy58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/28/2012, 09:32 PM   #38 (permalink)

I would love to have the ability to add any brand WiFi printer (not just hp) and the ability to print adhoc directly to a printer without going through a network. Would be handy when traveling to just locate a nearby printer and print away.
antmelnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/29/2012, 09:08 PM   #39 (permalink)

Hp needs to make a preferences app that you can change everything within webOS. Though still have prefs within Each separate app as well
Old 01/30/2012, 07:30 AM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We already have that (sort of.) It's called Tweaks. With any luck it'll eventually become a built in app or something along those lines.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open source, thenextwebos, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0