webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Patches to become baked in features or customizations?
Patches to become baked in features or customizations?

Old 12/11/2011, 03:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Actual open source licensing arguments aside...

Is it likely that open sourcing webOS will allow for the most useful/requested customize/tweak patches to become part of general OS update releases?

Will there still be a way to get the patches out before before an "official" update (public beta)?

Will an "official" webOS update recognize "beta" patches and remove them before updating (at user request)?

Just putting thoughts out in the open.
ElPhantasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 06:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Open source means: "Open-source software is software whose source code is published and made available to the public, enabling anyone to copy, modify and redistribute the source code without paying royalties or fees.[19] Open source code can evolve through community cooperation. These communities are composed of individual programmers as well as very large companies."

(taken from wikipedia: Open source - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

So what this is saying is that anyone(for example ME lol) can take the webOS kernel... edit it, change it, do anything they want with it and then take the edited version and give it away or sell it or whatever they want.

So for that matter if HP releases a version of webOS and I release a version...the two will be very different. Take for example Ubuntu Linux and Backtrack Linux. The two versions have very different features and abilities. They are both based from the same original code.

So you will probably want to find the kernel that appeals to you the most after it comes out. with the tools, software(apps), patches that you want.

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
jeffmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 09:44 PM   #3 (permalink)

Although if HP has a process for submitting code and updates back to the original projects, it's possible that fixes could be integrated back into the main line, rather than constantly creating forks.

It remains to be seen how HP will handle that.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 10:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Although if HP has a process for submitting code and updates back to the original projects, it's possible that fixes could be integrated back into the main line, rather than constantly creating forks.

It remains to be seen how HP will handle that.
This is what I'm hoping will happen. If it does, I hope HP will be snappier with their updates, just don't break stuff.

The first response was informative but missed my point.
ElPhantasmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:10 PM   #5 (permalink)

This is generally how it works with open source with a main contributer (HP in this case)

People create forks of webOS, with their own hacks and patches and modifications.

HP is the one releasing the official versions, but they very well can take these modifications and add them into the "official" version of webOS more easily.

These forks don't necessarily have to be unofficial as in, people in their basement, a company like, ACER for example, can take HP's webOS version and completely modify it to work how they want on their device.

Then someone can take that version and modify it to work on a similar device, if the work ACER did helps acheive their goal.

I'd expect to see several versions of webOS, but always one "first release" version from HP, which will be pretty barebones, and then their own version for touchpads.
rmausser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 04:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
This is generally how it works with open source with a main contributer (HP in this case)

People create forks of webOS, with their own hacks and patches and modifications.

HP is the one releasing the official versions, but they very well can take these modifications and add them into the "official" version of webOS more easily.

These forks don't necessarily have to be unofficial as in, people in their basement, a company like, ACER for example, can take HP's webOS version and completely modify it to work how they want on their device.

Then someone can take that version and modify it to work on a similar device, if the work ACER did helps acheive their goal.

I'd expect to see several versions of webOS, but always one "first release" version from HP, which will be pretty barebones, and then their own version for touchpads.
Like google and there nexus range? pure android on nexus then other manufactures modify it for there needs?
sturgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2012, 05:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

I’m quite fond of tweaking, so I think this feature should be integrated, and the ability to make tweaked features should be improved.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums

TouchPad’s Virtual Keyboard Layouts: http://forums.webosnation.com/member...d-layouts.html
in isagar2004’s post: http://forums.webosnation.com/hp-tou...rrow-keys.html
gerzhwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 05:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

btw. HP already did integrate some homebrew work back into webos even long before open sourcing of webOS itself was due:

http://www.webosnation.com/hp-adopts-webos-internals%E2%80%99-homebrew-compcache-implementation-webos-2-1

HP adopts WebOS Internals' homebrew compcache configuration in webOS 2.1
Derek Kessler

Last edited by gizmo21; 02/07/2012 at 06:02 PM.
gizmo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/07/2012, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Palm actually integrated items that had been patches.

In the end, open source or not, patches will not go away, because we don't all want the same device and same features. Some great answers above, but webOS will not be an OS without patches.

You have to remember patching isn't unique to webOS, it is and has been used in computing since long before webOS.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0