webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Will the time it takes to open source, kill WebOS?
Will the time it takes to open source, kill WebOS?
Like Tree13Likes

Old 12/10/2011, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

It's not going to take a month to open source everything, it will most likely take 6+ months if not an entire year for EVERYTHING to be complete. Do you think this time frame will kill interest in open source WebOS?
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

yes
donm527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 05:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah, WebOS is dead. <rolling eyes>
etphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 05:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, I dont think. Yes it's easier to develop when you have full access to the codes. But just knowing HP is not gonna sue anyone for patents infringment will boom "legal hacking". So even before the final release of webOS code, the work can start =D
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 03:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

No. I guess some Chinese manufacturers will build webOS mobile phone shortly, no matter how many bugs there would be, but in comparatively cheap price, like US$150-250.
tonyw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 03:37 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
It's not going to take a month to open source everything, it will most likely take 6+ months if not an entire year for EVERYTHING to be complete. Do you think this time frame will kill interest in open source WebOS?
yes. Thanks a lot HP!

- From my HP Touchpad
Old 12/12/2011, 04:25 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
Yeah, WebOS is dead. <rolling eyes>
Yeah, HP announced 5 new webOS smartphone models and 3 new webOS tablets for 2012, starting to roll out from Q1<rolling eyes>
Old 12/12/2011, 02:08 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanu_ View Post
^ lol

Isn't it strange that the HP TouchPad is one of the newer devices but died an epic and wrongful death.

I will use the HP TouchPad proudly until the very day the iPad 3 comes out, I will give it that much.

Guess I'm going to have an iPhone and an iPad. Sigh.
That's not a bad thing. I have an iPhone and just bought an iPad last night. I'm not sure if I'll keep my TP but the iPad is a superior device. I apologize to all the webOS fans out there but that's just my opinion. If HP had the same ecosystem as apple/iTunes the TP would had probably been a hit.
BlueBellThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 02:16 PM   #9 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I have come to the conclusion that webOS can not be killed. Everyone has seemingly tried and yet it still lives on.

Remember!!
*In Rod we trust.*

Yes, my user name says kid. Also, yes I'm 21. It's a long story.

Devices: Touchpad, 32 GB
Retired my pre for an Epic 4G Touch, Miss it dearly howerver.

geeksquadkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ka1, Rnp, pogeypre and 4 others like this.
Thanked By: Rnp
Old 12/12/2011, 02:21 PM   #10 (permalink)
Rnp

If you believe that the webOS is dead, what are you doing here?

Best Regards...
Liked by RoverNole likes this.
Old 12/12/2011, 02:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
Man of Steelerator (Super Mod)

As long as someone is willing to work with the OS once the source code is released, I don't think webOS will die.

What will kill WebOS is lack of new devices, which means there needs to be new OEM's....

Going open source will give OEM's a reason to jump in. Releasing the source code sooner rather than later will also help.

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
pogeypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 03:51 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBellThunder View Post
That's not a bad thing. I have an iPhone and just bought an iPad last night. I'm not sure if I'll keep my TP but the iPad is a superior device. I apologize to all the webOS fans out there but that's just my opinion. If HP had the same ecosystem as apple/iTunes the TP would had probably been a hit.
To be honest, I've tried Touchpad today, vanilla one, without even logging turned off, and it blew hell of Galaxy Tab 10.1 that I had misfortune to try few days ago. Android on tablets still exists because of rich app catalog, but it sucks big time. My good friend is going trough agony with his Transformer, and its casual sleep of death. webOS lacks many things but Touchpad surprised me with UX. I've tried just swiping left right, and some web browsing, nothing more, but same stuff on Tab was unbearable.
Old 12/12/2011, 04:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
yes
no
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 04:47 AM   #14 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:

HP's hardware is OK. It's not bad by any means. It's not ugly, like this:

Click to view quoted image
Have you handled the Sony S2? I've used it and while it's not my cup of tea, when you are handling it it certainly feels a more premium tablet that the cheap feeling Touchpad (what's that sound? it's the case cracking around the speakers!).
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Old 12/13/2011, 05:58 AM   #15 (permalink)

being that there were literally enough people to basically destroy ebay the second the firesale went up, i'd say that there is still a pretty large demand for people wanting a cheap tablet running webos (or anything), and those people who got them are likely going to be using them... i imagine....................? its not like you are going to need to upgrade your tablet in a few months unless you are a complete nerd
hell i use my original pre still, and it works fine for what i want, not everyone in the world needs 'bleeding edge' technology, as a matter of fact 99% of the world doesn't
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by RoverNole likes this.
Old 12/13/2011, 06:18 AM   #16 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
I would actually say no. Even ten years from now, somebody's going to get bored and might say, "You know what, I'm going to develop for WebOS."
Depends how specific the question is - once they open source, it's basically unkillable - so no it's can't die. However, if the question is "Will WebOS die as a commerical supported OS where OEMs develop hardware rather someone that only hobbyists use?" - who knows - too many variables to tell.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 06:22 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
To be honest, I've tried Touchpad today, vanilla one, without even logging turned off, and it blew hell of Galaxy Tab 10.1 that I had misfortune to try few days ago. Android on tablets still exists because of rich app catalog, but it sucks big time. My good friend is going trough agony with his Transformer, and its casual sleep of death. webOS lacks many things but Touchpad surprised me with UX. I've tried just swiping left right, and some web browsing, nothing more, but same stuff on Tab was unbearable.

And you've been one of the hardest critics of the Touchpad (although mostly of webOS itself). Although give you that webOS wasn't ready for prime time when Touchpad launched, I think this has been the general trend with this device.
Old 12/13/2011, 06:25 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Depends how specific the question is - once they open source, it's basically unkillable - so no it's can't die. However, if the question is[I] "Will WebOS die as a commerical supported OS where OEMs develop hardware rather someone that only hobbyists use?" - who knows - too many variables to tell.
Agreed. It's not a matter of if it's going to survive. It's about how's going to survive.
Old 12/13/2011, 06:28 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Every time a firesale takes place, I'm always amazed, I'm like, Who are all these people buying tablets, and where are they coming from?

Demand is WILD for it. Go outside with your TouchPad and see what happens.

HP's TouchPad is a unique situation, it doesn't matter for the other tablet makers how low they'll go, I doubt it will recreate the popularity that HP has unwittingly managed to achieve.
yea its pretty crazy, or the forum posts of people wanting to buy them from people who have them for a hundred bucks in instant profit... im still under the impression that if hp sold (and continued to manufacture) touchpads at cost or just below cost (to get even more numbers out there) they would flood the market..

10,000 sold in like 5 minutes on ebay? thats just INSANE to me... how many would they sell if they were selling for 150$ for the 16gig and 200 or 225$ for the 32gig? i'm positive they could get to a price point where they are happy with the short term losses if they could gain enough traction in the tablet market, i mean they did spend billions on buying palm, 20 or 50million in losses isn't exactly a big number at all to get a couple more million devices to people, not for a company that can sustain that loss for literally ever and not even bat an eye at it. the 'cost' of a touchpad was figured to be what for the 32gig? like 250? 280?
Liked by NoICon likes this.
Thanked By: comhack
Old 12/13/2011, 06:39 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
And you've been one of the hardest critics of the Touchpad (although mostly of webOS itself). Although give you that webOS wasn't ready for prime time when Touchpad launched, I think this has been the general trend with this device.
i'll admit when i used the touchpad at the store when they first came out i was like 'meh'
but thats what i have been like for all the tablets (especially the playbook)
but when you get one at home and start using it, its actually pretty fun, and most of the stock apps are actually really well made (although they could be improved a little, specifically the music player)

when i side loaded android on to the touchpad i used it.. started installing apps (which there are some pretty nifty apps, which i think im probably going to start trying to make for the touchpad in the next few weeks) and got bored of it trying to do just normal **** like viewing email or webpages then going back and into an app.. nowhere near as nice as webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0