webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Handle With Care!!
Handle With Care!!

Old 12/10/2011, 02:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

This is a message to all potential webOS ROM developers.

HP gave the open source community a gift called webOS. Even with a lack of apps and glamorous devices to run on, the OS is loved by all of us here at PreCentral/webOS Nation and has received good reviews from the tech community. Many of us consider it to be a better OS than both iOS and Android. The reason that webOS receives the praises that is does is because of its elegant and intuitive interface, called Luna, along with some excellent application tool kits.

Now that webOS is open source, I fear that there will be a push to force Android apps on to it. That is not necessarily a bad thing when there is not a native app available and games pretty much look the same on all platforms. However, the default tool kit used to render Android apps is horrible. Everyone running CM7 next to webOS on their TouchPad will agree with me on that, even if they are die hard Android fans. I think it would be better to port webOS' Enyo application tool kit to Android, then re-write apps in Enyo so they run and look the same in both operating systems.

The default home screen for webOS is boring. You can't add widgets or icons to it (other then what is on the dock) and there are no multiple screens. The home screen is just there to display your wallpaper. I know that there will probably be a push to add animated wallpapers. I welcome that. There will also be a push to add Sense like home screen replacements. I don't mind this idea as long as you don't replace Luna.

Luna's application card view is the best multitasking engine on any mobile OS. Like I said in my opening statement, it is why webOS receives the praise that it gets. I will not install a home screen replacement that doesn't work well with Luna or attempts to replace it (without the same functionality). Without Luna, there is no webOS.

Please handle webOS with care. Don't remove the things that make it popular in an attempt to make it a clone of something that it is not. Leave the look and feel of webOS alone and build around it to make a good OS great!
k4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 02:59 PM   #2 (permalink)

maybe repost this when webos code is released?
stung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:17 PM   #3 (permalink)

there should be a guide/constitution or something for WebOS when it becomes open-sourced. things like this should be recommended guidlines. for most webos users they are a given, but some may like to do other, perhaps more ingenius and intuitive stuff with it.
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
there should be a guide/constitution or something for WebOS when it becomes open-sourced. things like this should be recommended guidlines. for most webos users they are a given, but some may like to do other, perhaps more ingenius and intuitive stuff with it.
Most of those types of things tend to be as much use as a chocolate teapot - people will do what people want to do.

The problem is worse at the OEM level, if HP retains a level of control (not sure how?) where they say "no you can't skin or change this" - the OEMs are going to say "GTFO", this is a natural consequence of the model they are following.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

i agree, what i meant was a sort of message from the die-hard webos lovers to remind devs about what made the OS so loved in the first place. the guide bit as to how to dev on enyo and devices for noobs (like me)
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0