webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS on non-H(P)alm devices.
WebOS on non-H(P)alm devices.

Old 12/10/2011, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Now that the new is WebOS going open source, it seems that they are fearing of becoming the next Android: an ocean of devices of too many quality levels, diversity and brands available.

But, what's the real posibility of that? A search on pdadb.net shows that there are a lot of devices using the same SoC (system on a chip) that some of the H(P)alm devices use.

But as any kernel hacker nows, that's only the tip of the iceberg. Many other things like the radio modules (bluetooth, wifi, cellular, fm transmitter/receiver), touchscreen, usb... need to be controlled as well, so full functionality can be achieved.

And many of that things on a device have not open source drivers. Also, much of the code is not open source, neither. An well-known example are the Google Apps. Android is an open source operating system, but Google Apps aren't. Many times, a manufacturer licenses their drivers or code to be used for a single model, of a single manufacturer. An example of that are some the Treo devices, built for them by HTC. The boot code that loads Palm OS is propietary, and that's why one cannot install Android or linux to directly boot in the device. Second stage boot loaders are needed for that task.

All this boring stuff I put here is to justify a question I make:

What current devices are the best candidates to have a full working(*) WebOS port from the beginning?

(*) No even a manufacturer can even assure to be able to make a full open source version of its software. Or at least to be able to have it working for its own existing devices. Nokia currently has MeeGo in a alpha stage of development when trying it to run on its Nokia N900 tablet, that runs Maemo.
Tokafondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

when things become more advanced a guide should be made for everyone (including noobs like me, my mum loves my pre3 and is constantly annoyed with her x10minipro)
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devices, open source, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0