webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > We can - what HP couldn't: webOS on PC
We can - what HP couldn't: webOS on PC
Like Tree12Likes

Old 12/10/2011, 11:15 AM   #1 (permalink)

Sorry for starting a new thread about something others have already expressed similar - but as I think not that clear in their titles and message:

It's clear that some devices deserve webOS more than ever.
For tablets it's a must. On TouchSmarts it would be the coolest to imagine. Personally I would love to see/have it on my car navi-media-puter.

But to lay a wide and stable ground .. Let us start where HP had a big mouth but than I believe was just to coward to even further think it - despite make it ..

!!! PUT webOS ON PC !!! (and then start to conquer the rest of the world ..)
stbuerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I'd guess the only thing really stopping anyone from doing that is that there's no mouse pointer stuff at the moment. Seems like a pretty questionable interface to use without a touchscreen available though.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Daughain
Old 12/10/2011, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

How hard would it be to make it work with computers with a touch screen?
ludvball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:09 PM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Probably not hard to do at all -- the developer emulator already runs on x86. You'd probably just need to get a compilation of a kernel that had the right driver support for your hardware, and then figure out how to get it to boot.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/10/2011, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think it's going to be fairly straight forward in large part once the source code comes out. Way back in the early days of the Pre- still under Palm, I remember someone was able to extract the x86 image from the emulator and boot it on a Dell laptop with minimal tweaking as a proof of concept. The thread should still be around here on the forums someplace.

The main catch, though not that big a deal, will be that every dev will each have to recompile their existing apps to also support x86 chips.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

I always wonder why HP didnt use webOS for their touchsmart 5.0 interface:
Customizing Settings - HP TouchSmart 5.0 - YouTube
Vity Traff is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 03:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

I want to install this on my Car PC. I suppose driver support would be a big deal. Everything pretty much has linux support now adays...
kill_dano is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by nightdevil21 likes this.
Old 12/11/2011, 01:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Think we could hack in some VIA hardware modules?

Hello mini-ITX beast machine
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 01:15 AM   #9 (permalink)

You can always just use emulator from the SDK if you want to try it.
hagster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 11:59 PM   #10 (permalink)

I'd have to think a big part of why webOS on PC never came to fruition is that HP got early wind of Microsoft's Windows 8 plans. With a touch-optimized OS with applications that can be written in HTML and Javascript already coming to every PC in a year, is there really a need for webOS on the PC any more?
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 08:15 AM   #11 (permalink)

Personally, I think trying to put WebOS on a PC is a huge mistake; WebOS was designed to be a mobile operating system from the start, and if you start trying to add functionality for desktop hardware and peripherals, you're just going to muddy the water and ruin the mobile experience, which is what WebOS has always excelled at.

Think about it this way - has their ever been a desktop OS that worked acceptably well on mobile devices? Methinks not.

Tablets and mobile phones are where WebOS should thrive. But let's pass on porting our favorite OS to PCs (which, IMHO, will likely die off except for in the office in 3-5 years, anyway.) We've got more than enough good linux distros out there for them, until they breathe their last.

Just my two cents...

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by spud101 and rmeigs like this.
Old 12/12/2011, 08:25 AM   #12 (permalink)

I agree. Let's focus the efforts on smartphones and tablets. Improve webOS and make it run on modern decent hardware!
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 01:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

webOS on the PC makes absolutely no sense. That's like building a browser within a browser.
barkerja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 02:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

Surely 'The Mouse' will eventually get eaten by the cat anyway.. I sense that M$oft is going 'Touch Screen' because that's the way the rest of the world has already gone anyhow! That's the Future.. now!

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 02:56 AM   #15 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
I want to install this on my Car PC. I suppose driver support would be a big deal. Everything pretty much has linux support now adays...
Driver support is a very big deal, Without it, you are opening yourself to a world of legal problems in the event of a smash with someone else. Moreover the simple act of hacking it onto your car PC might invalidity your warranty and might be considered a modification by your insurance company. It's an absolutely minefield that most people should avoid.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 06:40 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

umm.. i don't think he means as the brain of his car's computer.. i think he means as an "in-car pc" .. ie, like your car stereo, but way more awesome.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Thanked by blackfireball5, sketch42
Old 12/13/2011, 06:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
umm.. i don't think he means as the brain of his car's computer.. i think he means as an "in-car pc" .. ie, like your car stereo, but way more awesome.
yup, he definitely means 'in car pc', basically a htpc but in the car, and obviously with a slightly different use case (using the maps etc, or to call people as well as playing video/audio)
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 03:15 PM   #18 (permalink)

The smaller Touchpad Go in a dashboard mount would be pretty sweet..
Especially cool if it could be linked to some of the car's systems, like heat/AC or even diagnostics.
I still want a new phone first though lol
Landslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by TopTongueBarry likes this.
Old 12/15/2011, 03:42 PM   #19 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
I am still thinking of this as a GUI aspect... maybe I'm still stuck in February. But webOS was supposed to be loaded on HP PC's running windows... I have seen other people talking about running webOS on linux boxes.

My current concept would be getting the gui working as an overlay of a linux based car PC. Then we work out the app aspects of running on this skinned linux GUI. It is an imperfect concept at this point, but would be a replacement for the GUIs currently running out there on auto PC's.

Then hopefully with more hands on the OS as a GUI, we see more dedicated development.

Once the source is opened, I think the first step is to see if homebrew can get some extra features added to the bluetooth keyboard input of webOS. If we can get more keyboard features, webOS is very viable as an auto PC and HTPC interface. The other key feature for the potential of widespread adoption would be support for actual bluetooth controllers.

These are the two things you need to encourage non webOS users to give any form of webOS support a shot. The interface is already there for touch, but limited keyboard support and no blue tooth controller support is going to make a lot of auto PC folks say no from the jump off.

One other thought, multi monitor support... at least 2 zones, this may be the best argument for skinning the GUI over another OS distro... not sure. I am still kicking around a lot of ideas in my head, waiting to see what comes out and go from there.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/15/2011, 03:49 PM   #20 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landslug View Post
The smaller Touchpad Go in a dashboard mount would be pretty sweet..
Especially cool if it could be linked to some of the car's systems, like heat/AC or even diagnostics.
I still want a new phone first though lol
There -is- a Bluetooth program for connecting to a Bluetooth OBDII reader and reading the car's diagnostic system. There's also a Speedometer/Tachometer app that uses the same sort of thing.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Thanked By: blackfireball5

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0