webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Alien Dalvik Port
Alien Dalvik Port
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By jetz
  • 1 Post By marcedhk

Old 12/10/2011, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Lets make a thread to show support for getting alien dalvik (android emulation) ported to WebOS and show it to myriad when hp releases source code to get it ported onto webos
Myriad Alien Dalvik
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by checkmate likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 05:50 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetz View Post
Lets make a thread to show support for getting alien dalvik (android emulation) ported to WebOS and show it to myriad when hp releases source code to get it ported onto webos
Myriad Alien Dalvik
The big question is: Why would we need the webOS source code to do a Alien Dalvik VM? I mean in theory, it is just executing the instructions as we parse them. I will try to read more about it, but as far as I know Alien Dalvik is a variant of Java bytecode.

Off to reading ...
CvvB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah, we don't exactly need the source code to do it, but there may be other things that Dalvik relies upon that we don't currently have.

On the other hand, I'm sure that Myriad would probably need some very good reason to port their thing over to us.

On the third hand, if we have the ability to run Android apps, then we immediately lose any chance of ever gaining quantities of serious webOS apps.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: p41m3r
Old 12/11/2011, 03:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Yeah, we don't exactly need the source code to do it, but there may be other things that Dalvik relies upon that we don't currently have.

On the other hand, I'm sure that Myriad would probably need some very good reason to port their thing over to us.

On the third hand, if we have the ability to run Android apps, then we immediately lose any chance of ever gaining quantities of serious webOS apps.
A license from oracle to stop them suing you? My understanding is that is the biggest problem is not technical, it's legal. RIM has a licence so they are OK, google doesn't and that is why there is legal action.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 03:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Yeah I don't know at all what any of the legal things going on are, not something i pay too much attention to at the moment. Of course, at the moment, I am recovering from a massive chest congestion and ear infection, so my attention span is about nil anyway ... oh, look, it's snowing.

I imagine that Myriad has the licensing issues worked out already..
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 03:38 AM   #6 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Yeah I don't know at all what any of the legal things going on are, not something i pay too much attention to at the moment. Of course, at the moment, I am recovering from a massive chest congestion and ear infection, so my attention span is about nil anyway ... oh, look, it's snowing.

I imagine that Myriad has the licensing issues worked out already..
I found some articles from the start of the year saying they were engaged in legal fights with oracle, no idea if that was sorted.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 01:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

I'd love to see this too.
They make it sound like they typically work with OEMs.
But they're working on it for iOS? No way Apple is in collaboration with them.
So there's really no reason for them not to make it work on webOS, and since it runs on Maemo/Meego, and seemingly iOS as well, the hurdles to it working on webOS shouldn't be too high.
I'm posting here mainly for the OP's point, to let them know we want it.
(Sales prices always less than ebay)
sanaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 08:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I disagree. I think it's quite the opposite - having the ability to run Android apps will give us the chance of gaining quantities of serious webOS apps. If we don't get an Android App player webOS will die on us, and the open source project will end up being a desperate attempt to resurrect it from the dead rather than save its life.

It's going to be several months before we see anything of consequence materialize from the open source efforts, and even when it is released it will be a wait of over a year before we see devices for it. The only company that could get a webOS device on the market sooner than that is HP, and they have already said that they will not release ANY webOS devices next year.

No new devices means a shrinking user base under the best of circumstances, and in a circumstance like this where ppl are having to dual boot Android in order to access the apps they need, the user base is in danger of shrinking even faster. The only thing that is stopping a serious hemorrhage right now is the fact that while webOS is slick, polished and intuitive, CM7 Android is clunky and ugly as sin, so a lot of people just boot into it to use a particular app and then return to webOS.

If the ICS based CM9 delivers the user interface improvements many are expecting, we will see a lot of ppl just kiss webOS goodbye and never come back. They'll stop booting intp webOS, and when they replace their tablets and phones they'll be going Android. The App developers know this, and aren't going to put much effort into doing anything for webOS with that possibility hanging overhead. Under the current scenario it makes more sense to just develop Android apps as a lot of webOS users will be switching to Android eventually!

However, were webOS to gain an Android App Player, most ppl would probably stick with webOS until their TP's and Pre's die, and that could carry us over for the next 18 months or so when we will hopefully see new hardware running open source webOS.

At that point, if the core user base is still using webOS (and they will be if they can use Android apps), then developers will have a good reason to develop native apps. The customers will be there, the growth potential will be there, and webOS device owners would opt to buy native apps because the performance of a native app will be better than one running in a player.

I think if we don't get an Android App Player, the current user base will not survive the 18 month App drought that will last until the open sourcing projects can result in new hardware and hence renewed interest. Instead of continuing the momentum of the firesale's unexpected consequences, it would be like starting from scratch all over again. Not only that but there will be a few hundred thousand ex webOS-ers who will have been so disappointed by what happened that they just won't come back no matter what.

I think this is not unlike the situation with Apple back in the late 1990's. They had to take $150 million from Microsoft so they could survive and become the market leader they are today. WebOS could potentially catch on and become a serious player in the future - but it has to survive first.
marcedhk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by checkmate likes this.
Old 01/17/2012, 07:57 AM   #9 (permalink)

I do not see much hope for an Alien Dalvik Port.
I got today an e-mail back from them where they say:

Quote:
Myriad Alien Dalvik enables Android applications to operate on non-Android devices. We are currently speaking with several device manufacturers, to incorporate Alien Dalvik technology on to their handsets.

Myriad software is not available to the end-user, we sell direct to Handset Manufacturers, OEMs and network carriers. Therefore our customers decide how and when to deploy our software. For further information on software and applications relating to your handset, please contact your network provider.

Kind regards,
So unless HP talks to Myriad and purchases the application for WebOS, we remain out on the cold.

And it is even worse for us out on non-catalog countries, because unless HP finds a way for us to purchase apps, we would not be able to install the software (I am assuming it would be available through the HP App catalog).
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/17/2012, 09:59 AM   #10 (permalink)

What about crowd-sourcing on behalf of HP? I suspect HP is not interested in dumping money into Dalvik Alien themselves, but what if an arrangement could be made where the users crowd-source it's development and HP then integrates it into v. 4.0 of WebOS? The only reason I dual-boot WebOS and Android is for the Android apps. I much much prefer WebOS.
madgrizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android aliendalvik

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0