webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What about Classic?
What about Classic?

Old 12/10/2011, 05:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

I know it's not part of webOS "proper" and the interface isn't nearly as swish, but I, and I'm sure many other people, would love to see the return of Classic. There are thousands of old Palm apps which still work perfectly well (if not completely finger-friendly). I seem to recall that when webOS 2.0 came out which removed the core bits that made Classic work (I still don't fully understand why), MotionApps handed all intellectual property over to Palm, so I guess this would be sitting with HP and now with this new webOS open source startup.

The webOS team would probably wince to have such an antiquated interface on a phone but at a time like this I think you need to leverage every single asset you have - and this is certainly one. I do recall when the Pre- first came out, one of the selling features was "sure, there aren't many apps for webOS, but look, you can run PalmOS on it too and you can have all the apps you want".

Just a thought. I'm sure others have views!
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 06:46 AM   #2 (permalink)

I was wondering about that too. Will be cool to get the obscure machine shop or electrician reference app on there. Agendus and Datebook are also sorely missed.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p41m3r View Post
I was wondering about that too. Will be cool to get the obscure machine shop or electrician reference app on there. Agendus and Datebook are also sorely missed.
Ubercalendar goes some way to getting the webOS calendar to agendus standards, but yes there is still much missing. I know that doctors and pilots use apps that can ONLY be found on PalmOS. I never understood the decision to remove it. It can't have been a space constraint as the PalmOS ROM is small, and I know people have metadoctored Classic into webOS 2.x - so it's not detrimental to the system. I'm afraid metadoctoring is a bit beyond my skills, and in any case there's no way of getting an activation key.

Pleeeeaaaase, HP, webOS Foundation, or whatever you're going to be called: bring back Classic!
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 08:06 AM   #4 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post
Pleeeeaaaase, HP, webOS Foundation, or whatever you're going to be called: bring back Classic!
This is going to happen, right? There already is a DosBox that runs Windows! May not be Classic, maybe something else.
Old 12/10/2011, 03:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I know that doctors and pilots use apps that can ONLY be found on PalmOS.
I'm a doctor, and Epocrates has been my killer app for over 10 years. It never came out of beta on WebOS and automatically deleted itself 6 months after the last update. That's what eventually drove me to Android. But it's still being supported for PalmOS. There are some more minor apps on PalmOS that have never had good WebOS or Android equivalents.

As big a Palm fan as I am, I don't think Classic availability would have me rushing out and buying a Pre3. The Epocrates PalmOS interface is pretty crusty. I'm not interested in going back

I guess what I'm saying, 99% of the doctors have already moved on to iOS or Android (I can't speak for the pilots). Say it is 6 months from now, Open WebOS is up and running and Classic is back, are the few docs stuck on Treos going to upgrade to Pre3's or Touchpads? Where will they find the devices? If they didn't upgrade to a Pre with Classic in 2009, why would they now?

Say it's 18 months from now, and you can now buy WebOS (with Classic) on a cheap Chinese tablet. How many docs will still be left using Treos and looking to upgrade? That number's probably not zero, but it's definitely a tiny niche market.

The only Classic app I miss is PregTrak. There is a similar (but less functional and user-friendly) equivalent for Android. Tons of docs have little PalmOS favorites like this. But the vast majority of us have moved on. Classic would be nice as an extra bonus, but I don't think ancient software is going to provide new users.
Old 12/10/2011, 04:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
ka1

Bring back Classic, with a slight modification to change the resolution. I want Warfare Inc running on a big screen, and maybe add in accelerometer support ....
Old 12/10/2011, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

+1 for Classic updates!
kayphoonstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Y'know, it might be more useful if some people were to write some specs for the desired softwares, and just contract some people to dev it.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 12:21 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Ubercalendar goes some way to getting the webOS calendar to agendus standards...
True, but Im not interested in the default calendar. My ideal setup would be one where the database remains local and is backed up or synced to a PC. I'm hardly the cloud storage proponent (exceptions would be media and the occasional utility or disc img).

Quote:
...in any case there's no way of getting an activation key.
If the source is opened up too, then it wont be a problem disabling activation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwshook
Classic would be nice as an extra bonus, but I don't think ancient software is going to provide new users.
Sadly, thats the whole truth. There are some things that you only get one chance to get right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade
Y'know, it might be more useful if some people were to write some specs for the desired softwares, and just contract some people to dev it.
That would work too, but it may turn out to be cost prohibitive if only a handful of people have the need for such specialty apps. The average user may not be willing to part w/ hundreds or thousands of dollars if he/she can simply resort to the PC version of the app or the old formula chart w/ the device's calculator. Devs, OTOH, wont invest the time in coding if its not worth it.

The simple solution is in an emulator that fits all or most users' needs, however limited, because with ~55k Palm OS apps, that a whole lot of potential porting (whole lot of potential $ too).
Old 12/11/2011, 12:56 AM   #10 (permalink)

What is Classic? I was not a Palm user before Pre so need a little help here....
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 01:50 AM   #11 (permalink)

Classic is simply the name given to a Palm OS emulator.
It allows the old Palm OS apps (there are around 55,000 of them) to run on webOS at much faster speeds (2x at times) than on original Palm hardware. Like everything else, it has its flaws, but it did offer temporary solutions in many cases. Support was officially dropped w/ webOS 2.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0