webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What is the Open Source timescale?
What is the Open Source timescale?
Like Tree11Likes

Old 12/11/2011, 08:31 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
And the only reason that Firefox took off was because Internet Explorer was horrible. There was a need and an opening for Mozilla. There's really no "need" for another mobile OS. If it takes a year for the source code to be released then won't it already be behind everyone else?

Windows 8 will be around then, IOS 6 should be out with new features, and "Jellybeans?" will probably be close to ready for Android. WebOS is on par with IOS 4 and current Android OS(Gingerbread and Honeycomb) but all three of those will continue with their increase in apps available, putting WebOS further behind and the OS will also fall behind. I just don't see how an OS can catch up when it was already way behind the top 2 in apps and features and it'll be stagnant in growth and innovation until it's released.

Also, HTC already has an 2nd mobile OS they develop phones for, Windows 7. HTC also, according to the last numbers released, sell 50% more Android phones than Samsung had in the last quarter. I think you'd have to replace HTC with Samsung if you want it to be correct.
numbers are fuzzy, but here is my link showing HTC sliding
UPDATE 1-HTC sales fall 30 pct in a month | Reuters

Samsung's business is far more than smartphones, so I think they are stronger even if smartphone business grows weaker. HTC needs an independent OS more than Samsung, IMHO.
clevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 02:04 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevin View Post
numbers are fuzzy, but here is my link showing HTC sliding
UPDATE 1-HTC sales fall 30 pct in a month | Reuters

Samsung's business is far more than smartphones, so I think they are stronger even if smartphone business grows weaker. HTC needs an independent OS more than Samsung, IMHO.
That is correct but HTC is now dropping but the drop is attributed partly to the Samsung Galaxy S 2 but mostly because they don't have much for phones in the lower end market, which hurts them in China big time. Samsung has a number of lower end phones available and HTC only stays in the premium phone category, with the HTC Wildfire as their only low cost phone.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 11:52 PM   #23 (permalink)

"In the coming months."

In other words, as always, too late for it to matter. I'm sorry for not being as optimistic as a lot of people here, but this is Whitman's way of taking it out back and shooting it, without making an entire community angry. When they finally release it 6 months or a year from now, or whatever, and there's no interest, now they can at least say they tried.

This doesn't include Enyo though. I think Enyo will do pretty well a few months down the road when developers are able to use it for any platform. webOS itself though has no future.

I mean, just as an example... they talk about how they have to get rid of or replace the closed-source parts of the OS before moving forward. So while webOS is looking backwards and redoing work it already did, Apple, Google, and Microsoft will looking to the future and pumping out new features.

I love webOS, but it's already years behind in many ways. I mean, just as an example, look at Siri, Google's Voice Search/Voice Actions, and Microsoft's TellMe-based Bing Voice search. Then compare that to the simple voice dialer in webOS. Sure, there are (a decreasing number of) things that webOS still does better than any other OS... but in order to compete it can't be missing features wholesale like it is now, and by the time this open-source stuff all gets done, how far behind will it be then?

And another question, how many app developers are still going to be around by the time this happens? Sure, Maemo over the years has shown that there can be a community of open-source developers for a device that has no real support, but that's not going to get us Netflix, or a Nook app, or even updated versions of current apps, like a version of Spotify that is fully compatible with the Pre 3 without crazy workarounds.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 and karstenskov like this.
Old 12/12/2011, 02:32 AM   #24 (permalink)

apple expensive and closed
android apps all too often based on sending your sensitive data to ad companies, I saw some graphic on another forum (XDA?) which wax jammed with logos of companies buying the snoop data. Even if matias cleans ul the design, that problem is still there.
microsoft puts you back at their mercy.

Still plenty of room for a manufacturer to pick up webos if they get access to code in a timely fashion--too bad it took HP 5 months to make the open source decision, I suppose the driving force for release will now be moving the staff to the non profit.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 03:04 AM   #25 (permalink)

its too soon to know whether other hardware manufacturers will pick it up, the announcement was just made on fri. I'm sure some are evaluating their cost to license android from microsoft and the threat from google's buy of motorola.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 04:38 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
This idea of how easy it is to develop for webOS has borne little fruit over the past three years.
Yeah. Big irony. But Palm and HP constantly pushed web aspect of developing, so now we have small app count, but also slow loading and visually unattractive.
Anyway, I'm hoping that open source can bring some boost at least for current webOS devices regarding performance.
Old 12/12/2011, 08:31 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
I fail to see how Enyo will make any difference.
Maybe I exaggerated a little in my previous post. I don't mean exactly to say it'll 'make any difference', just it'll be the only thing that maybe has a potential to be used. I mean, there are at least some people who developed Touchpad apps who will want to run them on other platforms.
jhoff80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 09:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
I fail to see how Enyo will make any difference. A developer would have to be masochistic to choose a development framework that targets hardware that is practically nonexistent in the market for new mobile devices and has to be jiggered to work with 98% of the existing devices.

This idea of how easy it is to develop for webOS has borne little fruit over the past three years. webOS has the weakest catalog of all of the major mobile platforms. Losing the hardware means that developers simply aren't going to be interested. Nobody wants potential users of their software to have to either find their device on Ebay or install a non-native OS on another device. You'd have a hard time even finding beta testers in that environment much less paying customers.
Enyo is platform agnostic, and it's an excellent choice for developing portable mobile apps (the best one, in my opinion).
Old 12/13/2011, 02:52 AM   #29 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
I'm not sure how much we should expect HP to support any "nonprofit" activities. I would be surprised if they kept even 5% of their webOS development resources. It really can only be justified as R&D or skunkworks-type spending and is ripe for being axed in the next round of budget cuts.
As always the devil is in the detail - one of the way in which we will be to work out how serious HP is about this (rather than simply be a cynical move to avoid a q1 2012 charge from shutting down the software side of WebOS as suggested by a few analysts) is how many people are still working on it in a year's time.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 and karstenskov like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0