webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Did Amazon just buy webOS for free?
Did Amazon just buy webOS for free?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 12/10/2011, 12:07 AM   #1 (permalink)

This article got me thinking; after all of the drama about Amazon buying webOS, did they end up getting it for free?

Where Does webOS Go From Here?
jdlashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 02:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

Open source doesn't mean free.
BnouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by SnotBoogie and knownboyofno like this.
Thanked By: Jeffmcc
Old 12/10/2011, 05:07 AM   #3 (permalink)

And Amazon have invested heavily in Android for the Kindle Fire with another new Fire coming out soom

6 months (or 12 months) ago you could have been right
Sonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 05:10 AM   #4 (permalink)

With Ruby on Amazon's board it could be interesting!
adjake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 06:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

I was kinda hoping that Amazon would buy webOS after all, but I guess with them already having invested heavily in Android development and infrastructure that we won't see Kindles with webOS for the time being, but I'd be gladly wrong on this
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:00 AM   #6 (permalink)

Amazon has good reason to use another OS, unless they believe they will always be a friend of Google.
pad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:05 AM   #7 (permalink)

i'd be pretty ****ed if i was amazon seeing google trying to muscle their way into every sector amazon is currently part of (books, digital books, music, digital music etc)

but then again.. i'm not amazon i suppose...
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad32 View Post
Amazon has good reason to use another OS, unless they believe they will always be a friend of Google.
Why? Amazon is not relying on Google or Google services in any way.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BnouK View Post
Open source doesn't mean free.
If they charge for it then it's dead......period. The manufacturers aren't going to pay for WebOS when they get Android for free or they pay for Windows, where the backer actually puts their money where their mouth is by paying devs and setting up incentives for them to develop apps.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

I've brought this up before...Every device manufacture using Android forks over a royalty to Microsoft (including Amazon). Lets hope that will sway someone to take a chance on webOS.
Old 12/10/2011, 05:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

But a number of those device manu's are now making Windows devices instead (or as well as)
Old 12/10/2011, 05:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic View Post
But a number of those device manu's are now making Windows devices instead (or as well as)
Yeah, part of the settlement of those companies was to release Windows phones too, so they already are releasing two different Mobile OS. Also, the only two that are paying are Samsung(don't know the exact details but analysts say $15 per handset) and HTC(it's known it's $5 per handset). Motorola, LG, and Amazon are not paying MS. Motorola has the patents to fire back and they have already.
Old 12/10/2011, 07:59 PM   #13 (permalink)

I ever met someone that used to work on open source platform including Android said that Open Source not always means 'free of charge'. Free in this term of open source is 'Free'dom. So how HP want to open source WebOS is still have questions here. But at least developers / manufacturers will have a Freedom to use WebOS.
The Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 07:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
Yeah, part of the settlement of those companies was to release Windows phones too, so they already are releasing two different Mobile OS. Also, the only two that are paying are Samsung(don't know the exact details but analysts say $15 per handset) and HTC(it's known it's $5 per handset). Motorola, LG, and Amazon are not paying MS. Motorola has the patents to fire back and they have already.
I thought I read that the original HTC issue with MS was that they were giving more ad space to Android Handsets and the deal was so much ad revenue was meant to be towards promoting the winphones but HTC didnt really do it

That along with the patent issues too, I dont think the Samsung one has been made public on the figure per handset, a few other smaller phone manu's are now paying MS too
Old 12/11/2011, 12:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

I noticed that Google is thinking about creating their own "Google Prime" service. If so, then that would put Google head to head against Amazon. The Kindle Fire uses Android now, but I can see Amazon wanting to jump ship for something else if things get really heated. Notice that when you go to Amazon, the app store is called "Appstore for Android". Who says they can't create an "Appstore for webOS"?
garmonestes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 01:36 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmonestes View Post
I noticed that Google is thinking about creating their own "Google Prime" service. If so, then that would put Google head to head against Amazon. The Kindle Fire uses Android now, but I can see Amazon wanting to jump ship for something else if things get really heated. Notice that when you go to Amazon, the app store is called "Appstore for Android". Who says they can't create an "Appstore for webOS"?
The Google prime would come about whether or not the Fire was even introduced. Google wants it for other reasons.

Google Prime: Retail Competiton With Amazon Is Still About Data | Epicenter*| Wired.com

Yeah, Amazon could build an "Appstore for WebOS" but it's going to take some time. It took a long time for Amazon to build up the current store enough to have their own system. Plus, I doubt HP would look too kindly of Amazon cutting them out of the one area they could make money, from apps. I'm sure they've seen how Amazon has bypassed Google and HP won't let it happen to them. I only see Amazon using it if HPs willing to allow Amazon to make all the money on the device and HP sees none of it.
Old 12/11/2011, 02:06 PM   #17 (permalink)

All mentioning Amazon's Investment in Android seem to forget HP made more than a BILLION $$$ investment only to pull the plug, then write it down, so anything is possible
RoverNole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 02:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
Actually Barnes & Noble is questioning Microsofts patents.

This is the patents Android is infringing according to Microsoft:

Here's their abbreviated list, and their rebuttal to the patents in question:

’372 Patent (Web Browser Background Image Loading)
The ’372 patent was filed April 18, 1996. Very generally, the patent relates to an outmoded system for retrieving an electronic document like a webpage that includes an embedded background image, which may have a bearing on very old web browsers connected to the Internet via slow, dial-up connections, but has little application in the context of improved, modern Internet connections...

’522 Patent (Operating System Provided Tabs)
The ’522 patents was filed December 13, 1994. The patent relates to a single, simple tool provided by an operating system (such as Windows) that allows applications running on that operating system to have a common look and feel. Since operating systems provide many such tools, the patent amounts to nothing more than a trivial design choice. In particular, and despite the fact that this concept is in the prior art, the ’522 patent’s method allows for the creation of tabs. The tabs are analogous to dividers like those found in a notebook or to labels found in a file cabinet, and allow the user of an application to navigate between multiple pages of information in the same window by clicking on the tabs….

’551 Patent (Electronic Selection with "Handles")
On its face, the ’551 patent purports to claim priority back to a November 10, 2000 filing date. Generally, the ’551 patent relates to another simple and trivial feature that is not only disclosed by numerous prior art references, but is certainly not central to an operating system like Android — selecting or highlighting text or graphics within an electronic document. The patent provides that a user selects a word or phrase, for example, by tapping on a touch screen display or clicking with a mouse. Such a selection may be shown by highlighting the selected word or phrase. The user is presented with "selection handles" on one or both ends of the selected areas. These "selection handles" can be moved by the user to highlight more or less text or graphics...

’233 Patent (Annotation of Electronic Documents)
The ’233 patent was filed December 7, 1999. Like the other Microsoft patents, the ’233 patent relates only to one small feature that has long been present in the prior art and is not central to Android or any other operating system. More specifically, the patent generally relates to a method for capturing annotations made in an electronic document (like an electronic book), without changing the electronic document itself...

’780 Patent (Web Browser Loading Status Icons)
The ’780 patent was not filed until May 6, 1997, long after the first web browser came to market. In addition to being late to the game, the patent is directed to a very simple and obvious feature — a temporary graphic element or status icon that is displayed to indicate that a hypermedia browser (such as a web browser) is loading content. When a browser is intended for use with a portable computer system with a limited display size, the ’780 patent notes that it is desirable to maximize the browser’s content display area (the portion of the browser that actually displays a website, not the menus, toolbars, or buttons). Thus, the patent makes a trivial design choice and provides that the graphic element or loading status icon is to be temporarily displayed in the content display area of the browser as opposed to a separate space such as the browser’s menu bar, tool bar, or a separate status bar...

There are a few other patents involved, but they pretty much fall into the same category: prior art.

"Prior art" is one standard by which the validity of patents are measured. If it can be proven then there was the same (or significantly similar) innovation prior to filing for the patent, the patent may be thrown out"

I think most of these patents are questionble to say the least.

If Barnes & Noble can win against Microsoft maybe other companies like Samsung and HTC can fight back Microsoft more easily?

Source: What Patents Does Microsoft Say Android Infringes? B&N Tells Us!

But i agree on webOS as a good choice for Amazon.
Old 12/11/2011, 02:32 PM   #19 (permalink)

think this open source thing is good? we go from a professional in house group dedicated to and grown up out of palm and webOS to some home craft developers (albeit talented as a group) who are not at 99˘ a pop accumulating enough financial oomph to back such a grandiose enterprise as the maintenance of an entire separate operating system ...even nokia with deep pockets had to abandon that kind of project even after many years with its mature system in place in millions of pockets ...webOS is going to the archives with th commodore64 and the other relics that were great in their 15 min of fame...
patapoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 02:58 PM   #20 (permalink)

And if they are Prime members, they can get it shipped free

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0