webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS booting on android devices
WebOS booting on android devices
Like Tree8Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 08:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

How can we make this work? Im guessing that we are going to have to wait for device specific releases.

I own a nexus one.

Please let me know how we can make this work..

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
jeffmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

The fastest way would be to port it to an Android device already using a similar chipset to the Touchpad or that of another existing webOS device.

Evidently, someone within the webOS Internals group already has a preliminary build working on an Evo 3D (which shares much the same Qualcomm chipset as the Touchpad 4G--the MSM 8660).

Porting it to other chipsets would take considerably more work.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Jeffmcc
Old 12/10/2011, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
Evidently, someone within the webOS Internals group already has a preliminary build working on an Evo 3D (which shares much the same Qualcomm chipset as the Touchpad 4G--the MSM 8660).
That port was nothing more than getting it to boot. Nothing worked on it: touch, gps, apps, nothing. They did the easy part, getting everything to work on it would be the massive undertaking.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vity Traff likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 09:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

True true, for example trackball(if your device has one), the camera...

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
jeffmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 09:34 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
That port was nothing more than getting it to boot. Nothing worked on it: touch, gps, apps, nothing. They did the easy part, getting everything to work on it would be the massive undertaking.
Yeah, I read the article(s) about it.

The device drivers of course come next, just as they do in the CyanogenMod (or most any OS-port) project. The fact that it even booted into the OS is a big step in and of itself and puts a stake in the ground to begin on everything else.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jeffmcc likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 10:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
Yeah, I read the article(s) about it.

The device drivers of course come next, just as they do in the CyanogenMod (or most any OS-port) project. The fact that it even booted into the OS is a big step in and of itself and puts a stake in the ground to begin on everything else.
if cyanogenmod can do it, webos should be able to - did they write their own drivers for TP-CM7?
EasyPulse - free HR calculator
cyberprashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 11:22 PM   #7 (permalink)

We sure can, everywhere the WebOS community is seen as the coolest of all.

I'm in, how can I help.

I don't know much, but whatever I can do to get WebOS again in my hands.

I had to switch to android, but not satisfied as with WebOS.

La gente dice que estoy loco al hacer lo que hago.
Bien, me han dado toda clase de advertencias para salvarme de la ruina.
Cuando digo que me encuentro bien ellos me miran un poco raro.
shoryuken666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 11:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

I totally want to help, but right now my programming knowledge is limited. Next year I am going to actually go to school for Computer Science, and take a lot of programming electives. Hopefully then I'll be more useful.

But I totally want to see WebOS running on my Epic 4G or even a HTC EVO 3D. Give me a reason to buy one LOL.
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 12:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

At the current time, I see webOS evolving into that 3rd linux based choice of operating systems just like the desktop ecosystem turned out. You got Windows, Mac, and Ubuntu. Mobile will turn out to be Android, iOS, and webOS.

The current eminent future I see for webOS is on Android devices, as they are both linux based and most if not all have root access (although not that easy for some). I think we need to get this bowling ball rolling before anything else.
Liked by Jeffmcc and GodShapedHole like this.
Old 12/11/2011, 12:30 AM   #10 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Funny, I thought it would go more like Windows, Mac, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, 17-other debian variants
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 12:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
if cyanogenmod can do it, webos should be able to - did they write their own drivers for TP-CM7?
Possibly.. but if you recall there were also substantial rumours of a few Touchpads that 'escaped', during the Firesale, into the wild.. that were already loaded with and running basic versions of 'Android' and possibly also 'Qualcomm' experimental units that were studied too. I assume that these units already had most of the main drivers written?

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 03:58 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
It took the CM team to get the touch working and the other major team involved backed out because they couldn't get the touch working. There was a $2000 bounty and only one team was able to pull it off. WebOS to Android phones will probably be as rough.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 04:51 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think they write drivers. I'm maybe wrong.
Old 12/11/2011, 04:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
There was a $2000 bounty...
Do we need to up the ante?
spartca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 05:14 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
There was a $2000 bounty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartca View Post
Do we need to up the ante?
I'm sure the webOS community could up the ante by quite a bit. Based on what the community has been able to raise for webOSinternals in the past, even $20000 should not be much of a problem, I think.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 05:48 AM   #16 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

We should probably consider another major variable -- the communications hardware. I have this sneaking suspicion that is going to be the mother of all things to get into. I could be entirely wrong, though. This stuff is all new to me.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/11/2011, 07:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
It took the CM team to get the touch working and the other major team involved backed out because they couldn't get the touch working. There was a $2000 bounty and only one team was able to pull it off. WebOS to Android phones will probably be as rough.
The 'Touchdroid' team fell apart very early on amid much quibbling.. it was suggested that they were just a bunch of 15 year olds in well over their heads and that they buckled under the pressure!
However, on 27th Aug. 2011 'someone' did pay $1425:00 on eBay, for a TouchPad 32Gb purportedly running Android.
That would basically give you the drivers wouldn't it?

Mutoidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 09:28 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
Funny, I thought it would go more like Windows, Mac, Fedora, Debian, Ubuntu, 17-other debian variants
You knew what I meant. :P
Old 12/11/2011, 10:22 AM   #19 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I was just pointing out that everything below "Mac" is not a household name.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/11/2011, 02:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

In the end, we will not be choosing the devices. What will most likely happen is WebOS Internals will choose devices who they deem fit to run WebOS 2.X and port it. Then you can see the (creepy) developers on XDA port it to various devices they own themselves.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0