webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS booting on android devices
WebOS booting on android devices
Like Tree8Likes

Old 12/17/2011, 12:16 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffmcc View Post
How can we make this work? Im guessing that we are going to have to wait for device specific releases.

I own a nexus one.

Please let me know how we can make this work..
I'd be more interested in trying to port the webOS GUI to Android. Most people don't care what's under the hood and the webOS UI is a work of art. We'll call it Lunadroid.
akshunj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/17/2011, 08:39 AM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
if cyanogenmod can do it, webos should be able to - did they write their own drivers for TP-CM7?
The biggest immediate problem is that webOS is still closed source. HP has only said it is their intention to open source it, actually completing this move is going to take a long time. Until that is done, these efforts are stalled (including OEMs trying to make devices).
Mikey47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: karstenskov
Old 12/20/2011, 02:23 PM   #23 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
I'd be more interested in trying to port the webOS GUI to Android. Most people don't care what's under the hood and the webOS UI is a work of art. We'll call it Lunadroid.
This has more impact, imo. Further, it doesn't have to look 100% like webOS (well, to some people it *has* to be 100% or else it is complete rubbish) to function like it.

Just look at the interface on the new Vita game system. A lot of the same ideas as webOS, but obviously very different.

-Suntan
Suntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/20/2011, 02:31 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
This has more impact, imo. Further, it doesn't have to look 100% like webOS (well, to some people it *has* to be 100% or else it is complete rubbish) to function like it.

Just look at the interface on the new Vita game system. A lot of the same ideas as webOS, but obviously very different.

-Suntan
This defeats the purpose, and you wouldn't be supported by HP. Also, this removes WebOS' multitasking making the interface pointless.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Jeffmcc likes this.
Old 12/24/2011, 01:14 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
Where is this? Genuinely interested.
You Know exactly where it is..

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
jeffmcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2011, 06:47 AM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes, yes they do. Where drivers for a specific device are closed-source, they're forced to look up the spec sheets and write open-source drivers themselves. You'd be surprised at what the CyanogenMod team(s) have to do to support the number of devices that they do--and expand to new devices and update each device for new releases like ICS at the same time.
I know they are porting and tweaking existing drivers. Maybe CM team has knowledge of writing drivers, but such skills are rare at XDA or else. I know two graphic driver related efforts that never succeeded (one from WM era, and another from Android) and lots of people ware involved. That is why I'm so skeptical about webOS future, because it's one thing to harvest already written drivers and adjust them to run on your build, but when it comes to complete writing of drivers from scratch, than its completely another game.
Old 12/24/2011, 03:26 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

-Suntan
Imo one of the greatest attributes of WebOs is fact that the apps are written in Javascript/CSS. This is bigger deal than most people think. With the rapid growth of HTML5 its beginning to make a lot more sense writing HTML5 apps which are inherently cross platform compatible, and way easier than dealing with proprietary JAVA library's needed to create an android app.

WebOs = the way of the future. Open, cross platform apps inherently. Ultimately it all comes down to hardware manufacturers, and whether or not they see WebOs devices as a profitable investment.
stri8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2011, 03:30 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
It's pretty sad that yet another person in the webOS community has resorted to name-calling. And toward the XDA Developer community, no less. Many of the developers there are very capable and come up with some inventive ways to support new hardware and initiatives for the entire community. Not only CyanogenMod members but also Rod of webOS Internals and myself are members there.

Stop the namecalling already. It's immature and reflects poorly on the webOS community as a whole when people who may be interested in webOS come here and see it for themselves.

This community should expect more of its members, and I hope people start calling this type of behavior out more often.

All that said, factually speaking I do doubt that many of them would be interested in porting webOS, considering a vast majority are 100% on the side of Android just as many here are 100% on the side of webOS and you see the vitriolic reaction Android gets around here. The attitude toward Android from the members of webOS Nation doesn't do any diplomatic favors to attract Android users into giving webOS a look, even out of curiousity.
Perhaps your mislead. The vast majority of developers at XDA don't have any regard for the policies and legalities of companies software. They were freely distributing 3.0.5
before it was in RCA which is a clear violation of WebOS distribution rules given even before HP had aquired Palm. I won't say creepy anymore, but you wrote a post out of ignorance.
Old 12/24/2011, 03:36 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
Imo one of the greatest attributes of WebOs is fact that the apps are written in Javascript/CSS. This is bigger deal than most people think. With the rapid growth of HTML5 its beginning to make a lot more sense writing HTML5 apps which are inherently cross platform compatible, and way easier than dealing with proprietary JAVA library's needed to create an android app.

WebOs = the way of the future. Open, cross platform apps inherently. Ultimately it all comes down to hardware manufacturers, and whether or not they see WebOs devices as a profitable investment.
It doesn't matter how easy webOS programming is, developers still prefer Android and IOS more. At the end of the day, it's important how much money you made, not how easy was at work.
Old 12/24/2011, 04:29 PM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
if cyanogenmod can do it, webos should be able to - did they write their own drivers for TP-CM7?
they also got very lucky later on by aquiring a touchpad that came loaded with qualcomms android they used to install webOS, as seemingly webOS was installed via their version of android.

Ittl be why no such magic exists for the pre3, dont think any devices were found in the wild preloaded with a handy compatible android to dissect.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/24/2011, 04:48 PM   #31 (permalink)

If the rumors about WebOS being installed by HP on an iPad there is no reason HP couldn't give Internals the drivers and the know how.
Old 12/24/2011, 04:53 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
If the rumors about WebOS being installed by HP on an iPad there is no reason HP couldn't give Internals the drivers and the know how.
it wasnt, only the enyo side was running, the ipad had enyo apps running, didnt have the actual webOS running at all.
Old 12/24/2011, 05:00 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
it wasnt, only the enyo side was running, the ipad had enyo apps running, didnt have the actual webOS running at all.
Funny how people aren't understanding that. The Enyo libraries are pretty portable. The OS isn't.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk

Grabber5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Thanked By: independent1
Old 12/24/2011, 05:20 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
Funny how people aren't understanding that. The Enyo libraries are pretty portable. The OS isn't.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
i know the difference is huge but its a bit like someone saying they successfully ran a java program thats nativly built and found on a PC, but got it running on their mac or tablet or phone, originally it may have been on a PC etc but it CAN still run on other stuff.

A similar comparison could be said of the story about iOS running enyo apps, some tried to make out as a bigger deal than it was.
Old 12/24/2011, 05:39 PM   #35 (permalink)

Oh I didn't know. I really only heard about it so I wouldn't have known. However Grabber is right, porting will be alot harder than most think. Internals is very very talented, however WebOS and it's ~gestures~ might prove difficult if proven at all.
Old 12/24/2011, 05:43 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
Oh I didn't know. I really only heard about it so I wouldn't have known. However Grabber is right, porting will be alot harder than most think. Internals is very very talented, however WebOS and it's ~gestures~ might prove difficult if proven at all.
no1 would be at fault for believing what they read, a lot of webpage reports on the subject were very misleading or didnt explain things enough.
Old 01/09/2012, 04:34 AM   #37 (permalink)

Interesting idea I had definitely be interested in seeing how it would run on other devices.
evantanski is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0