webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Too late for WebOS...?
Too late for WebOS...?
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By TableTopFreak
  • 1 Post By netwrkr9

Old 12/09/2011, 02:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Now that HP has Open Sourced WebOS, is it too late or is it going to help revive WebOS? If you think about it, Google did the same thing with the Android system and opened it up to other manufactures and developers and look where it got them. Could we see Samsung come out with a device that has WebOS on it? Or HTC? (Can you imagine the Galaxy Nexus hardware running WebOS?) Too me, I think we are at a crossroads here and it leaves the fate of WebOS in other manufactures and developers hands. If WebOS was opened up long time ago, I feel that they would be just as popular as the Android system today. This is a step in the right direction on HP's part but my question is, is this move too late for WebOS?? Only time will tell...

Thoughts??
Old 12/09/2011, 02:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Just what incentives do the hardware manufacturers have to take a chance on it? With Android, Google backed it and put a lot of money into it succeeding... do we see HP doing that? Not likely, and there goes it's chance of getting much thought by the big OEMs.
gabbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

Who knows what those incentives are. HP is still making money. Maybe not on the consumer side of the ball but you know they are making $$$ on the business side. You are probably right, Samsung, HTC and some of the other big OEM's probably are not going to jump on this tomorrow but maybe some smaller ones like ACER could. And for them to put something out is better than nothing.

I am glad a rooted my Touchpad where I can now choose between the two OS. If WebOS takes off, I can always switch back. Best of both worlds.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad783 View Post
Now that HP has Open Sourced WebOS, is it too late or is it going to help revive WebOS? If you think about it, Google did the same thing with the Android system and opened it up to other manufactures and developers and look where it got them. Could we see Samsung come out with a device that has WebOS on it? Or HTC? (Can you imagine the Galaxy Nexus hardware running WebOS?) Too me, I think we are at a crossroads here and it leaves the fate of WebOS in other manufactures and developers hands. If WebOS was opened up long time ago, I feel that they would be just as popular as the Android system today. This is a step in the right direction on HP's part but my question is, is this move too late for WebOS?? Only time will tell...

Thoughts??
Hope I'm wrong but it feels like....

They are not making anything anymore. Peroid.

If you were dating webOS... this is the "it's not you, it's me" line ( see- 'we never gave webOS a chance') and the "I still love you but I need my space" (see - we will make Windows 8 tablets, and maybe phones but we might make a webOS tablet in the future)

They are trying to have their cake by keeping webOS and eat it too by having other push forward development. This might have worked two or three years ago, but I doubt it will now. There is too much big money driving development in the mobile space so there is no incentive for a hardware outfit to spend any money for decent hardware with no apps and no ecosystem to spur consumers to buy into their hardware.

I'm going to nurse my Pre+ till it dies and may even spring for a Pre 2 as I haven't seen ANY android phones that capture my interest. But in a year or two, I guess i'll need to start looking elsewhere.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

It is indeed too late. There still will be a faithful few, but I don't see MobileNations having a Chrome OS Central.
barrysanders20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
It is indeed too late. There still will be a faithful few, but I don't see MobileNations having a Chrome OS Central.
I bet you've seen Android Central though.
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

this is great , I don't care if webos gains mainstream respect , I don't care if people think ios is top dog, look around ... What most people do isn't always best ... I don't need 7.5trillon apps (most of witch are web apps i.e "blah blah blah blog spot" or "pizza hut mobile") I don't even need 500 apps... I'm just happy that I can look fwd to more webos development :-) I'm sure people will port webos to other devices , droid razor running webos ? Ipad3 runnging webos? With open source webos can go as far as people are willing to push it... Look how far the devs have already pushed... Doesn't open source just make pushing the limits easyr then before?
TableTopFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tomoqv, sq5 and jblather like this.
Thanked By: Keanu_
Old 12/09/2011, 04:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, just the opposite, it is a new beginning for webOS.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

With all due respect to my friends in the webOS arm of HP, webOS has not been maturing as quickly as it needed to. Although version 3.0 with Enyo was cranked out in a matter of months, it is competing against some very mature competition (iOS 5, Android 4 ICS, BB 10, etc.) As much as I love webOS, it still lacks some very basic, fundamental features. With the help of the open source community. Heck, even if the current webOS community could officially help, it would make a huge difference in the user experience.
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 07:54 PM   #10 (permalink)

What webOS does offer hardware manufacturers is more patent protection. i.e., Samsung might be able to prevent some of the law suits by Apple. HP own 'the' smartphone patent and will be better able to protect any new webOS hardware manufacturers.
jodihansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 04:14 PM   #11 (permalink)

WebOS, like i said way back in June...is dead in my eyes as a viable alternative to iOS/Android and hell even Windows Phone.

It will live on for those who refuse to give it up...but the chances WebOS will gain new customers is pretty non existent imo.
DougB541#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 05:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodihansen View Post
What webOS does offer hardware manufacturers is more patent protection. i.e., Samsung might be able to prevent some of the law suits by Apple. HP own 'the' smartphone patent and will be better able to protect any new webOS hardware manufacturers.
It appears Apple may have opened a can of worms for themselves with all these lawsuits, they appears the suits are starting to backfire. Motorola won a major victory last week.

Maybe Apple could do with som HP patent help LOL.

That being said, I would like to put webos on a spare iPad.
sinsin07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 05:05 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
Hope I'm wrong but it feels like....

They are not making anything anymore. Peroid.

If you were dating webOS... this is the "it's not you, it's me" line ( see- 'we never gave webOS a chance') and the "I still love you but I need my space" (see - we will make Windows 8 tablets, and maybe phones but we might make a webOS tablet in the future)

They are trying to have their cake by keeping webOS and eat it too by having other push forward development. This might have worked two or three years ago, but I doubt it will now. There is too much big money driving development in the mobile space so there is no incentive for a hardware outfit to spend any money for decent hardware with no apps and no ecosystem to spur consumers to buy into their hardware.

I'm going to nurse my Pre+ till it dies and may even spring for a Pre 2 as I haven't seen ANY android phones that capture my interest. But in a year or two, I guess i'll need to start looking elsewhere.
You could be right on the webOS-cake part, but please stop that frigging nonsense about Win 8. HP NEVER said they were going Win 8-only and one person from HP Arab only hinted towards 1 Win 8-tablet (which is likely as they also have the slate). So stop talking about that, we won't know what they're gonna do with Win 8.

Who knows. Maybe they even try to be smartass and put TP 2 out before Win 8 hits RTM to be sure they have just a bit more market with webOS (counting on from what they have now) then newcomer Win 8?
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/14/2011, 05:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vistaus View Post
You could be right on the webOS-cake part, but please stop that frigging nonsense about Win 8. HP NEVER said they were going Win 8-only and one person from HP Arab only hinted towards 1 Win 8-tablet (which is likely as they also have the slate). So stop talking about that, we won't know what they're gonna do with Win 8.

Who knows. Maybe they even try to be smartass and put TP 2 out before Win 8 hits RTM to be sure they have just a bit more market with webOS (counting on from what they have now) then newcomer Win 8?
Do you really think they actually have ANY intention of putting out another webOS tablet in the next 24 months? After they have decimated the core of internal webOS development? Who is still left there at HP to do this? Though if they farm the task out, they may get a better result, but that would cost them more.

Do you think they will make a serious push with a Windows 7 based tablet? You might be right though, they may be dumb enough to try it. It will sell almost as poorly as the Touchpad did, and it will sell worse in the consumer market.

If they do roll out a decent tablet, look me up (I'll be one of the happiest guys on this forum... but not as happy as if they release a new phone). I'll buy you a title from the app catalog to celebrate. (but not the "I Am Rich" app!)

C
Old 12/14/2011, 05:57 PM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Alright, will keep that bet in mind.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0