webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebDroid OS?
WebDroid OS?

Old 12/09/2011, 02:01 PM   #1 (permalink)

ok so is going to take on the task of being able to open Android applications in a new card in WebOS. there has to be a way to combine the two OS's for the best of both worlds.
tjdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

that was my first thought exactly.
Andrew6.688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

WebOs apps are the way of the future. They are webapps which can be run on any OS with web browsing capablities. Android apps are much more complex and can only run in a very specific environment. With CSS3 and HTML5 most stuff can already be made as a webapp.
stri8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh, see, I was taking this the OPPOSITE direction...

What if existing app developers in WebOS could suddenly sell their wares across all of the other platforms out there? That would be incredible.

Since the ENYO platform is being open sourced first, we're more likely to see that layer get ported to other OSes right away. And that's a good thing for developers that have invested in the HP way of doing things. And it's a good thing for WebOS, because as an abstraction layer, it would enable developers from Windows, Android, and whereever else to create something...

And if more developers say "hey, this ENYO is a nice framework" we could see it come back to the WebOS community when the rest of the OS is open sourced - these apps that people made "cause it was easy in Enyo" would be 100% compatible with WebOS.

Just like you see with the Unreal Engine for games. But more Webby.
larsoncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: stri8ed
Old 12/09/2011, 02:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post

What if existing app developers in WebOS could suddenly sell their wares across all of the other platforms out there? That would be incredible.

Since the ENYO platform is being open sourced first, we're more likely to see that layer get ported to other OSes right away. And that's a good thing for developers that have invested in the HP way of doing things. And it's a good thing for WebOS, because as an abstraction layer, it would enable developers from Windows, Android, and whereever else to create something...

And if more developers say "hey, this ENYO is a nice framework" we could see it come back to the WebOS community when the rest of the OS is open sourced - these apps that people made "cause it was easy in Enyo" would be 100% compatible with WebOS.

As a WebOs developer, I can tell you enyo is an incredible framework. Easy to use and powerful. Enyo can already work with phonegap as far as im aware. The only reason webos devs have not ported enyo apps, is because they couldn't due to enyo not being open source.
stri8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsoncc View Post

HEY! You're stealing my thunder! (hehe) I agree. Enyo is javascript/HTML 5 which is pretty portable now (or intended to be). Any proprietary webOS API calls would need to be "PhoneGapped", but this should be doable, right? If I have a non-PDK PhoneGap compliant Enyo app, in theory I could have one set of source code that is recompiled for each target platform. Or something like that.
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 11:33 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdalton View Post
ok so is going to take on the task of being able to open Android applications in a new card in WebOS. there has to be a way to combine the two OS's for the best of both worlds.
I admit Android has a bigger (not better) app-store and also big number of units from large crowd of manufactures who knew that they wouldn't be able to compete with big-A on their own. BUT that's like the millions of flies surrounding a piece of ....

Let us keep up the higher quality of webOS !

If webOS has a use for another/additional runtime environment - then that would be pure/classical Java + JME !
stbuerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 01:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbuerger View Post
I admit Android has a bigger (not better) app-store and also big number of units from large crowd of manufactures who knew that they wouldn't be able to compete with big-A on their own. BUT that's like the millions of flies surrounding a piece of ....

Let us keep up the higher quality of webOS !

If webOS has a use for another/additional runtime environment - then that would be pure/classical Java + JME !
Having used both platforms extensively, I can say that Android Market has magnitudes of better and higher quality apps. WebOS has Splashtop, so do they but they also have Splashtop Pro. Kindle is on both but has many more functions on Android. Same thing with Facebook. I could go on and on in each category of the apps on Android that are better than any on WebOS. Ice Cream Sandwich will make to where each app will scale for the screen type.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)

I also would prefer to see enyo and maybe even luna run on Android as main system and run native Android apps next to it...
spud101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:47 PM   #10 (permalink)

If android apps run on webos devices, then a developer who is thinking of creating an app for android and webos will probably create the android app first and maybe not create the webos app at all. Lets hope that the android apps work as well as native webos apps.

Ben
benh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 09:38 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew6.688 View Post
that was my first thought exactly.
me, too.
gsparks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 09:41 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
Having used both platforms extensively, I can say that Android Market has magnitudes of better and higher quality apps. WebOS has Splashtop, so do they but they also have Splashtop Pro. Kindle is on both but has many more functions on Android. Same thing with Facebook. I could go on and on in each category of the apps on Android that are better than any on WebOS. Ice Cream Sandwich will make to where each app will scale for the screen type.
Agreed. Every app that is used in both platforms is better in Android. Can't blame developers for putting their time into the more successful os. And forget the typical apps people think of (games, e-readers, etc). How about the things that totally change the way you interact with your device - keyboards, launchers, widgets, and web browsers. Android has plenty of all these where webos has been so limited
cdjh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 10:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjh View Post
Agreed. Every app that is used in both platforms is better in Android. Can't blame developers for putting their time into the more successful os. And forget the typical apps people think of (games, e-readers, etc). How about the things that totally change the way you interact with your device - keyboards, launchers, widgets, and web browsers. Android has plenty of all these where webos has been so limited
The only thing you forget is that the ability to run Dalvik byte code won't help you with widgets, launchers and keyboards, because webOS code and the way webOS handle lower system layers is different than Android.
Besides, if we succeed in porting Enyo and making it the standard JS library for mobile development, developer could develop one app that would run on Android, iOS, Windows Phone and webOS. I think that this is much better solution than changing the OS layer itself.

Like my work? Want to support it? Want to thank me?
isagar2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 11:35 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
Having used both platforms extensively, I can say that Android Market has magnitudes of better and higher quality apps. ..
I own a Pre2 and a HTC Desire and nearly all the time carry them both arround. And for some good reasons I have/keep more apps on the Pre2 than on the HTC D'roid.
Yes - I would like to see more apps on webOS - incl. some I really miss there.
But actually I'd rather prefer webOS on some modern HW then he other way round.
And for the most apps available in both worlds - including and especially the mentioned ones - it's my very convinced opionion that the webOS variant is of higher quality. Even with sometimes fewer functionallity.
stbuerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 01:23 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stbuerger View Post
I own a Pre2 and a HTC Desire and nearly all the time carry them both arround. And for some good reasons I have/keep more apps on the Pre2 than on the HTC D'roid.
Yes - I would like to see more apps on webOS - incl. some I really miss there.
But actually I'd rather prefer webOS on some modern HW then he other way round.
And for the most apps available in both worlds - including and especially the mentioned ones - it's my very convinced opionion that the webOS variant is of higher quality. Even with sometimes fewer functionallity.
I'd be interested to hear what apps you find better on WebOS that are superior to the Android version. I could name a few:

News: Pulse News and the Google Current
Music: PowerAmp or any of the multitude of free ones and Shazam/Soundhound
To do/grocery lists: Out of Milk and Astrid. Evernote?
Browser: Dolphin HD or Opera Mini
Financing: Mint
Streaming music: Pandora or Spotify
Audio books: Audible
Podcasts: Doggcatcher, even though DrPodder seems pretty decent
Light photo editing: Photoshop Express
Medical: WebMD
Games: quantity and quality with Android but WebOS does have some quality games
Shopping: Pretty much every store has an app but I really like the Amazon app and the barcode scanner that I can compare prices at the store with Amazon's prices.
Video media: Netflix, Hulu, youtube
Samba file sharing for moving files wirelessly from my Android to my computer and vice versa
Keyboard: Swifkey or Swype
Voice recognition: Vlingo and Google Voice Search
Weather: Accuweather is very elegant but Weatherbug Elite gives me alerts and notifications
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 02:19 AM   #16 (permalink)

i'd like to see soundhound on webOS, the browser would be fine, it probably needs access to the mic. Grooveshark on webOS browser works fine.

The scope of data some of the android apps take from the device is creepy, without knowing it, seems from what I've been reading like many people sign those tiny licensing agreements, which basically allow the app to rummage through contacts, texts, phone, device ids and send data even when the app is closed. It looks as if they give people a pretty little bauble with some shiny things bobbing up and down and in return, get keys to the personal files. Google does not care--the store is fairly unmonitorex.

So the real question might be is the incremental feature in android app over webOs worth that price? Without webOS, people's only choice is to pay the extra dollars for apple or be back at the mercy of microsoft.
bluenote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 06:45 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
light photo editing: Photoshop express
^^^
want!
Landslug is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0