webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > We all need to come up with a strategy
We all need to come up with a strategy
Like Tree27Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 01:53 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey guys ive been thinking about Hps announcement for a little but now, and I think that we need to come up with a game plan.

Now that WebOS is open source, we can now probably run it on other devices. However as we all know all devices are different and there's tons of them that people may want WebOS on.

I think that we need to come up with a poll system and have at least one device for each carrier being worked on to port the OS.

We cant have one person requesting a different device every day, because then noone would be happy. So some how we have to organize this so that the major devices are covered.

This is just what Ive been thinking about because Cyanogen kind of does this but they still have a ton of devices that they have made CM7 for, and WebOS just dosnt have enough devs to develop for that kind of number of devices.

Thanks
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Can we get donation drive going? How about select Galaxy Nexus as the project device and donate them to webOS Internals group.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by ka1, blackfireball5 and fxspec06 like this.
Old 12/09/2011, 02:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

I think devices that run on multiple networks would be awesome. Like the Nexus S. There's a version for T-Mobile, AT&T and Sprint.
du57in is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 02:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nexus S, but please also the iPhone 4 and 4s! I know I know it's not popular among alot of people but the singular home button really works for me! I will donate as much money as I can scrape together and give time to help out the project.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:02 PM   #5 (permalink)

I think if we bring mass consumer demand to a company like samsunc, HTC they will possibly build WebOs devices. Think about it, No royaltiy fees to microsoft, and they can better differentiate and diversify their offerings from the hundreds of android stuff.
stri8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by fxspec06 likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:05 PM   #6 (permalink)

How can we get HP to "Open Source" the designs for the TP-Go, the Pre3, and the Slab Phone they designed, but did not take to market?

I mean these (along with the Pre-, Pre Plus, Pre2 and TP) were not Manufactured by HP, buy by a Third company in China.

Right now I am using a Pre3 with a build date (according to Webos Quick Instal) of 9/11/12, that was made for ATT, who canceled their orders.

If we could get - I don't know, say Cincinnati Bell, or T-Moble to offer these phones, who knows? Maybe even Sprint or Big Red?
dmklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

My vote is for the Evo 4G, but that might be a little biased =)

I got the Evo as a replacement for my failing Pre, but it would be poetic justice to replace Android with webOS.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

How about the Galaxy S2 for all carriers except Verizon, and the Galaxy Nexus for Verizon. Why not port it to the best? That would definitely turn heads.
joen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by grappler, nightdevil21, treodoc755 and 3 others like this.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Please don't forget to annihilate carrier iq in the porting process
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by grappler, nightdevil21, xandros9 and 2 others like this.
Thanked by chodaboy, fxspec06
Old 12/09/2011, 03:27 PM   #10 (permalink)

Exactly guys i like idead like the galaxy s 2 and the nexus phones because there on multiple networks but hopefuly i can try to get a spread sheet in here or something to show everyone and we can orginise this better im not sure how to put things like that in forums lol
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by grappler likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:34 PM   #11 (permalink)

I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. lol
Old 12/09/2011, 03:46 PM   #12 (permalink)

I propose another Marathon/Kickstarter to help port the platform to other hardware. The amount to collect would only need to be enough for the groups to get phones/tablets for development. I'd say starting with something like the Nexus series and as for the tablet branch I'd prefer to have it on my ASUS Transformer.

Here's something that could be used soon:
Upcoming Android Boot Manager
SDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9 likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:51 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. lol
Hey, our favorite OS lives on! It's exciting news!
Old 12/09/2011, 03:56 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindication84 View Post
Hey, our favorite OS lives on! It's exciting news!
No doubt its exciting. Im happy that there will now be new stuff for developers to play with. But I think if porting it is even possible, we probably wont have the first port for a LONG time.
Old 12/09/2011, 04:46 PM   #15 (permalink)

Idk about porting to iPhone. The 1 home button could be the killer. No buttons to map back or forward swipes to but who knows, maybe something could be done.

Hmm, maybe an up then to the left or right swipe would work? Or a full swipe across the entire screen?
Old 12/09/2011, 04:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinime View Post
Idk about porting to iPhone. The 1 home button could be the killer. No buttons to map back or forward swipes to but who knows, maybe something could be done.

Hmm, maybe an up then to the left or right swipe would work?
Yeah, Thats true. There will be no gesture area on other phones. So in my opinion, the iPhone (in more ways than one) sucks for porting webOS.
Old 12/09/2011, 04:50 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
No doubt its exciting. Im happy that there will now be new stuff for developers to play with. But I think if porting it is even possible, we probably wont have the first port for a LONG time.
On the contrary, CLICK HERE!!!!, this was done only two months after the release of the TouchPad. Sure it has kinks but I used to live in the Android community and development was FAST.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:55 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
On the contrary, CLICK HERE!!!!, this was done only two months after the release of the TouchPad. Sure it has kinks but I used to live in the Android community and development was FAST.
Yeah, I saw that. Well hopefully I am wrong. I'd love for webOS to be ported to the Droid X2 since that is what I have now. But the Droid X2 is locked in its own way so it probably wont happen.
Old 12/09/2011, 05:09 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinime View Post

Hmm, maybe an up then to the left or right swipe would work? Or a full swipe across the entire screen?
At first, I thought you were joking. You do realize this is exactly what HP did to webOS 3 on the TouchPad, right? I think the elimination of the gesture area in the TouchPad is a huge mistake, but it does make the software more portable.
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 06:22 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodaboy View Post
At first, I thought you were joking. You do realize this is exactly what HP did to webOS 3 on the TouchPad, right? I think the elimination of the gesture area in the TouchPad is a huge mistake, but it does make the software more portable.
Yeah, I keep thinking webOS 2.x and not 3.x for phones. Seems the screen size would better adapt that way + 3.x's implementation of the upswipe drives me crazy at times due to no gesture area.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0