webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > We all need to come up with a strategy
We all need to come up with a strategy
Like Tree27Likes

Old 12/11/2011, 02:57 PM   #41 (permalink)

Not to be a buzzkill but Rod has said like 50 times on the Internals Twitter feed that they aren't looking at anything until anything is actually available. He gives Enyo 3 months until the first OS version is released, and WebOS a year +. You won't be seeing any ports or cool new features soon.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 04:58 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
Not to be a buzzkill but Rod has said like 50 times on the Internals Twitter feed that they aren't looking at anything until anything is actually available. He gives Enyo 3 months until the first OS version is released, and WebOS a year +. You won't be seeing any ports or cool new features soon.
...Rod and the Internalz guys arnt the onlyone who are going to be working on things like this. Im sure other people like Puff will be trying to get it to work so they know what they can fix quicker when they get the source code
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 07:30 PM   #43 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
...Rod and the Internalz guys arnt the onlyone who are going to be working on things like this. Im sure other people like Puff will be trying to get it to work so they know what they can fix quicker when they get the source code
Um, Puff is a member of WebOS Internals.

People have been working on ports for months.

However, all that has happened in the last couple of days is an announcement of an intent to open source webOS at some point in the future.

Until some new webOS code is released under an open source license (which hasn't even been decided by HP yet), nothing can be redistributed, therefore no port (even if there was one which is working, which there is not) could be released to the public.

-- Rod
www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
rwhitby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 07:31 PM   #44 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
Actually, I said Enyo will come first, and webOS won't come earlier than 3 months. I never said anything about a timeframe extending to a year.

-- Rod
Old 12/11/2011, 09:34 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
but how do you get it on cdma carriers can you still have an "unlocked" cdma phone?
Sure you can, people are activating unreleased pre3's, no? You just have to call your carrier
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 10:10 PM   #46 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

However, all that has happened in the last couple of days is an announcement of an intent to open source webOS at some point in the future.

Until some new webOS code is released under an open source license (which hasn't even been decided by HP yet), nothing can be redistributed, therefore no port (even if there was one which is working, which there is not) could be released to the public.

-- Rod
I understand that nothing will be released for a long time till all the licensing is sorted out but all im saying is that there's nothing wrong with us getting an idea of how the community wants to structure picking the possible devices, that one might port WebOS to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
Sure you can, people are activating unreleased pre3's, no? You just have to call your carrier
People are activating Verizon CDMA Pre 3's on Verizons notwork. Which is normal. What im saying is that theres no CDMA phone thats unlocked to use on all CDMA carriers liek GSM phones (you cant take the verizon pre 3 and activate it on sprint)
Old 12/12/2011, 05:03 AM   #47 (permalink)

Quote:

-- Rod
Guys, I'm perfectly happy with my Samsung Galaxy S, but my Pixi+ lags as hell, can you improve Pixi's performance instead porting webOS to Android devices?
I'm playing with 2.1 on Pixi, and UI boost is enormous, but general performance is decreased with 2.1.
Porting webOs to another devices will not make webOS better, will not add features, it would be just an experiment. Existing 5 webOS models desperately needing attention.
Old 12/12/2011, 05:14 AM   #48 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
I understand that nothing will be released for a long time till all the licensing is sorted out but all im saying is that there's nothing wrong with us getting an idea of how the community wants to structure picking the possible devices, that one might port WebOS to.
Sure, wish-lists are always fun to write. Just make sure people don't think they will get anything on that list for at least three months or more.

-- Rod
Old 12/12/2011, 05:15 AM   #49 (permalink)
Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalx View Post
Guys, I'm perfectly happy with my Samsung Galaxy S, but my Pixi+ lags as hell, can you improve Pixi's performance instead porting webOS to Android devices?
I'm playing with 2.1 on Pixi, and UI boost is enormous, but general performance is decreased with 2.1.
Porting webOs to another devices will not make webOS better, will not add features, it would be just an experiment. Existing 5 webOS models desperately needing attention.
Again, once the actual source code is made available (think perhaps three months from now), then we can look at more stuff than we have already looked at with the improved kernels and patches that we already release for existing devices.

-- Rod
Old 12/12/2011, 08:36 AM   #50 (permalink)

Quote:
I understand people are activating Verizon CDMA Pre 3's on Verizons notwork. Which is normal. What im saying is that theres no CDMA phone thats unlocked to use on all CDMA carriers liek GSM phones (you cant take the verizon pre 3 and activate it on sprint)
yah you're right but that just has to do with what radio is installed in the device, the ones in the verizon pre3's don't operate on the same radio bands the sprint cdma network does. The solution to this is produce one base unit & have the radio unit be modular (similar to the pre/+). that way only one mainboard needs to be designed & produced & the radio unit is produced separately, then people can just choose what network they'd like to buy the phone for & the corresponding radio & software is slapped in. Not to mention there are many 'off the shelf' solutions for 3g radios these days.
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 10:59 AM   #51 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by inertia1 View Post
Does anyone else think this "build your own smartphone" idea is kind of wacky? Who really wants to do this other than a hobbyist?
What I think is wacky is owning a smartphone where the manufacturer is violently opposed to allowing me to modify it in any way or even install apps that they don't like, or that compete with their own products.

Also wacky: owning a smartphone that is designed by an advertising company with the goal of maximizing their ad view revenues, with a history of hosting spyware.
jdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 12:07 PM   #52 (permalink)

Quote:
Sure, wish-lists are always fun to write. Just make sure people don't think they will get anything on that list for at least three months or more.

-- Rod
Lol will do Rod, you guys at WebOSInternals are awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
What I think is wacky is owning a smartphone where the manufacturer is violently opposed to allowing me to modify it in any way or even install apps that they don't like, or that compete with their own products.

Also wacky: owning a smartphone that is designed by an advertising company with the goal of maximizing their ad view revenues, with a history of hosting spyware.
EXACTLY...but seriously if we were to try to make out own phone it would take a lot of work and money. It might just be easier to have a startup hardware company (would be cool to change my business for this) and design a phone
Old 12/12/2011, 02:03 PM   #53 (permalink)

hey guys wouldnt it be cool to actualy produce bhughes719 palm pre HD

I Vote we make this
Old 12/12/2011, 02:17 PM   #54 (permalink)

I think the selected device should be voted on. This way everyone gets a fair shake. Ultimately though, cost of the devices should be a huge consideration. It's probably not the best idea to put the OS on a phone that retails for $500+ without a contract.

It needs to be a solid phone that is accessible and cost efficient.

I wonder how much it cost to get a cell phone protyped by a legit manufacturer? The phone in the post above would be really nice (updated specs, of course).
rhepungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 02:21 PM   #55 (permalink)

I think if we can some how make the selected device at least 2-300 or under without a contract then we will be golden, but what we need is a team of people who know how to design hardware and how to startup a company to do this , like i said i wouldnt mind starting my business as a hardware company and instead of slapping my logo on the phone i would put just the cards part of the webos seal on it lol but we need a team together and we need $. Starting a kick starter would help. This community has shown before that they care wnough about webos to get WebOS Internals 16k so im sure you guys will come around again for great hardware
Old 12/12/2011, 03:41 PM   #56 (permalink)

Not sure if it could be done
but what if webos could be ported onto a Blacberry torch? or the new touchscreen bold?
use the trackpad for a geture area? theres no need for it when you have a touchscreen,
with the torch you get the same form factor as a pre
just an idea haha
sturgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 03:53 PM   #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgie View Post
Not sure if it could be done
but what if webos could be ported onto a Blacberry torch? or the new touchscreen bold?
use the trackpad for a geture area? theres no need for it when you have a touchscreen,
with the torch you get the same form factor as a pre
just an idea haha
its not that it cant be dons its just going to take alot of work and dedication from alot of people.

Its like my dad tells me when im struggling with a class here at college, if it were easy then everyone would do it. Anything worth doing takes work
Old 12/12/2011, 03:55 PM   #58 (permalink)

Quote:
its not that it cant be dons its just going to take alot of work and dedication from alot of people.

Its like my dad tells me when im struggling with a class here at college, if it were easy then everyone would do it. Anything worth doing takes work
true! i think this would be the best way to get the most out of what webos has to offer without a new device being built!
sturgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 05:03 PM   #59 (permalink)

Could the software button area on the Galaxy Nexus become the swipe area on a webOS port?

Last edited by ironclad359; 12/16/2011 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Aggressive Auto-Correct ;-)
intrepid359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/16/2011, 06:43 PM   #60 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironclad359 View Post
Could the software button area on the Galaxy Nexus become the swipe area on a webOS port?

not entirely sure, could be something to look into

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0