webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > We all need to come up with a strategy
We all need to come up with a strategy
Like Tree27Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 06:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

As soon as I saw the announcement this morning, I started getting ideas. The first two that came to my head were automotive head unit (I've always wanted one running webOS) and a Chumby-like device, maybe with some decent speakers. I'm a hardware engineer by trade, so I also started thinking about designing my own if there's nothing really worth porting to.

Ottermatic
Ottermatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 07:08 PM   #22 (permalink)

Apple has a mass market share, on every carrier. If we can make an iWebOS, then we can take advantage of that market and mass exposure. More so than any other single phone.
something224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jgoooopats likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 08:12 PM   #23 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
No doubt its exciting. Im happy that there will now be new stuff for developers to play with. But I think if porting it is even possible, we probably wont have the first port for a LONG time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinime View Post
Yeah, I keep thinking webOS 2.x and not 3.x for phones. Seems the screen size would better adapt that way + 3.x's implementation of the upswipe drives me crazy at times due to no gesture area.
as far as I can tell, the upswipe gesture on the touchpad is identical to the phones. the phones don't appear to require actually swiping onto the screen from the gesture area, merely swiping upward from the bottom point of the screen. at least, that's how i'm seeing it on all mine.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:35 AM   #24 (permalink)

As I see it you've got two major problems. First of all the gesture area, as has been mentioned: no other manufacturer has anything like it and it would be insanity to lose such a wonderful feature. Anyone who's used webOS instinctively tries to swipe to go backwards (I know I've done it on a friend's ipad and my own touchpad).

Second is the keyboard. I know tons of people like on-screen keyboards, but for the life of me i can't understand why. All of my friends who scoff at my physical keyboard showing off their fancy gizmos on android almost invariably send me text messages chock-a-block with typos. How is that better? So you need to find hardware that has a physical keyboard, at least as an option, which makes the task all the more difficult.

One thing I would truly like to see is a phone and/or tablet that's ultra-easy to use for the elderly and disabled. Android is worse than useless in this respect and iOS is only marginally better. I've not yet had a chance to play fully with siri, but I've heard it's quite easy to confuse (especially if you're scottish).

But overall I think it's going to be AT LEAST six months before we see any of this open source stuff - HP has to replace a lot of stuff before that can be done. And, while there may be some interest from marginalised manufacturers, I have a sneaking suspicion the major manufacturers will try to find ways of preventing people replacing the OS on their hardware.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:41 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyBoy View Post

One thing I would truly like to see is a phone and/or tablet that's ultra-easy to use for the elderly and disabled. Android is worse than useless in this respect and iOS is only marginally better. I've not yet had a chance to play fully with siri, but I've heard it's quite easy to confuse (especially if you're scottish).
you ever try to give an android device or an ios device to someone who hasn't used one a bunch? they look like they are lost and cold in the middle of nowhere, ever person i've shown my webos gizmos have instantly been like 'cool!' and have been able to use it
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 05:33 AM   #26 (permalink)

we can want and hope all we like for webOS on certain devices but its all down to the clever devs porting it over, they will decide the hardware if any that webOS leaks into.

If they can get it on other differing hardware in bulk with minimum effort then thats more preferable than taking longer to get it on the fewer devices people actually want, esp if it took much longer to port over.

get your foot in the door (any door) first then worry about the rest later.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 06:43 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungenius View Post
you ever try to give an android device or an ios device to someone who hasn't used one a bunch? they look like they are lost and cold in the middle of nowhere, ever person i've shown my webos gizmos have instantly been like 'cool!' and have been able to use it
Yes I have. I've tried both android and iOS on elderly relatives and both were costly disasters (the iOS experiment in particular is costing me monthly for a phone that's just gathering dust while I work out what to do)

The experience was a bit better with webOS but unfortunately they found the keyboard keys just a bit too small (even on the pre3). I have got one relative using a touchpad, but only for exploring youtube really, and she still needs me to start the app as she presses and holds rather than tap and release and ends up just moving the icon - a switch somewhere to lock the icons would be a really good idea.

I personally think there is a significant untapped market for smartphones for people who have trouble with the existing smartphone model.
DaveyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:52 AM   #28 (permalink)

How about we set up something like a kickstarter & donate until we have enough for an upstart, then let the community design a new piece of hardware. And I don't mean design as in "oh i want this feature", I mean actual schematics that would allow us to produce a tangible device. There have to be some hardware designers lurking around (maybe even some former palm guys). This obviously wouldn't be generally available in the market, i'm speaking of a device for the community, by the community. These could be made in small runs of 10,000 or so. There is a high concentration of great minds here, and if any community could pull something like this off, it's this one.
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 09:17 AM   #29 (permalink)

I think this is a good Idea, and think we should look at phones that are on all networks to port webos to:

Iphone 4,4s
Galaxy line

We should do maybe the iphone 4, and the galaxy s II first because there are not only on all carriers, but alot of people can purchase fairly cheap off contract through ebay, CL etc. I think we should run a fund raiser for these two devices on here to raise the money starting now so that when the souce code becomes available all we would need to do is purchase the devices and start to code it up.
wellwellwell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: karstenskov
Old 12/10/2011, 09:39 AM   #30 (permalink)
cgk

Isn't it better to wait until it's actually open source and then determine the hardware based on what is based available at the time - this could be months away yet.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by xandros9, Greg Mair and geekpeter like this.
Thanked By: karstenskov
Old 12/10/2011, 09:49 AM   #31 (permalink)

true it def could be a few months but, since we know the source code is coming, and it will take a minute to raise that kind of money, to me it makes sense to start now. Since we all know money is really tight for people nowadays. Even if lets say the code dosent come until june, and each person can do 10 dollars a month thats 60 dollars raised per person when its released.
wellwellwell11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 10:50 AM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
I think we're getting a little ahead of ourselves here. lol
True, but we were just asked for suggestions right? :-D
joen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 11:01 AM   #33 (permalink)

I would be more interested to see existing webOS devices running as they should instead of crippling good Android devices with half baked webOS ports.
Pixies never performed as they should, also Veers or even Pre3 and Touchpads at the end.
If community finds its way to merge 2.x with 1.4.5 it could improve first gen devices. If communities manage to merge 3.0 with 2.x it could improve second gen devices. Porting webOS to another devices should wait for some time.
Old 12/10/2011, 12:20 PM   #34 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

How about making copy/paste functionality for TouchPad that doesn't suck? WebOS3 is prettier, but less functional than 2.x I think.

- Sent from my HP webOS TouchPad using Communities -
BBooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:21 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
How about we set up something like a kickstarter & donate until we have enough for an upstart, then let the community design a new piece of hardware. And I don't mean design as in "oh i want this feature", I mean actual schematics that would allow us to produce a tangible device. There have to be some hardware designers lurking around (maybe even some former palm guys). This obviously wouldn't be generally available in the market, i'm speaking of a device for the community, by the community. These could be made in small runs of 10,000 or so. There is a high concentration of great minds here, and if any community could pull something like this off, it's this one.
I really like this idea, i mean if WebOS internals can get 16k for software then we can get probobly the same if not more to put their amazing work on a device to match...either that or try to get hp to give us rights to use the pre3 design and refine it or take parts from it to make a ladscape slider from it =D

Edit: only think i just realized is that unless our device cleared the fcc and we got permission from carriers that making a new device would never work, but i think having hp let us use the pre3 as like a dev device or something would be great

Last edited by NpManny; 12/10/2011 at 12:31 PM.
d0u8l3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:37 PM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDash View Post
I propose another Marathon/Kickstarter to help port the platform to other hardware. The amount to collect would only need to be enough for the groups to get phones/tablets for development. I'd say starting with something like the Nexus series and as for the tablet branch I'd prefer to have it on my ASUS Transformer.

Here's something that could be used soon:
Upcoming Android Boot Manager
I got this guy trying to port webOS to his Transformer, but he wasn't happy about the webOS devices being TI OMAP/Qualcomm based
Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
iPhone 5c > Nexus 5
My Palm OS Archive
xandros9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:51 PM   #37 (permalink)

as to the phone gesture area issue:
why not follow in the footsteps of what's already on the TouchPad, a virtual gesture area at the bottom of a phone's screen, Ice Cream Sandwich has virtual buttons on the Galaxy Nexus. The code for a virtual gesture area is already in webOS 3.0, we'd just need to add in a forward gesture
kmoll3ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 07:21 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmoll3ster View Post
as to the phone gesture area issue:
why not follow in the footsteps of what's already on the TouchPad, a virtual gesture area at the bottom of a phone's screen, Ice Cream Sandwich has virtual buttons on the Galaxy Nexus. The code for a virtual gesture area is already in webOS 3.0, we'd just need to add in a forward gesture
Honestly unless a hardware OEM decides to pick webos in the future i think well just have to stick it out without the geature area and use webOS 3.0 and refine it for phones. Honestly i dont think it would be that hard to get used to, android phones all have a back button the home button can be used as the main button that all the pre phones have, the menu button for bringing down the top menu for each app and the search button to open just type.

It sucks yes but im sure we could get used to it for the time being
Old 12/10/2011, 10:20 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NpManny View Post
I really like this idea, i mean if WebOS internals can get 16k for software then we can get probobly the same if not more to put their amazing work on a device to match...either that or try to get hp to give us rights to use the pre3 design and refine it or take parts from it to make a ladscape slider from it =D

Edit: only think i just realized is that unless our device cleared the fcc and we got permission from carriers that making a new device would never work, but i think having hp let us use the pre3 as like a dev device or something would be great
Thing is it wouldn't need carrier approval, since it wouldn't be a widely available commercial device, it would merely be sold as unlocked. Also fcc approval really isn't too hard to achieve either.
Consequence_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 01:24 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Consequence_9 View Post
Thing is it wouldn't need carrier approval, since it wouldn't be a widely available commercial device, it would merely be sold as unlocked. Also fcc approval really isn't too hard to achieve either.
but how do you get it on cdma carriers can you still have an "unlocked" cdma phone?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0