webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Open Source help out current hardware or only future?
Open Source help out current hardware or only future?

Old 12/09/2011, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Does open source allow the community to advance webOS on old hardware and make custom updates? Or just will help future possible devices? I am confused how the app store etc will go on etc.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
ryancell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

My guess is it would be mostly future as it will probably take awhile for the to convert webos over to open source and by then a lot of the current hardware will be on its last legs.
crucialcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanu_ View Post
HP will make more hardware. The thinner device that you always wanted.
if this was the case though why wouldn't they just keep the OS for themselves then?
tjdalton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdalton View Post
if this was the case though why wouldn't they just keep the OS for themselves then?
Money. HP didn't want to invest trillions of dollars in the platform. Open sourcing allows smaller developers and manufactures to put work into the platform and use it for whatever purpose you wish. This is not only the cheapest option, but the best. WebOS can grow so rapidly now. And HP seems committed this time, which is good.
astraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 01:10 AM   #5 (permalink)

WebOS needs work but not a "massive transformation". The card based UI is staying, you being that it's what most people are interested in. If you get rid of the card UI, you have Android.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0