webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > webOS open source - should we be buying Pre3?
webOS open source - should we be buying Pre3?
Like Tree2Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 01:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

There are still plenty up on ebay... what does the open source mean? Should we be buying pre3s before the masses come flooding in, since it means webOS can be further developed for existing Pre handsets... Or is it moot b/c we'll see webOS ported to different hardware?
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

I can't envision any big rush on Pre3 hardware as a result of this move.

That said ... Does this make the unlocked Pre3 the defacto "Nexus" device for devs now?
Old 12/09/2011, 04:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

Well, now that it is a known fact that there will be no new webOS phones coming out, so yes, if you want to continue your webOS bliss into the near future, you best pick one up now. While there are still Pre 3s on ebay, there has been significant drop in the number of phones listed on there which indicates the supply is running out.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

<thread moved>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

still can't run the pre3 on sprint.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omahawildcat View Post
still can't run the pre3 on sprint.
DANG IT!

(With Sprint's complete support of CarrierIQ, I am finally encouraged to seek a new carrier.)
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Im LOVING my pre3 on at&t data speeds are sick. Family plan works out to about the same as sprint

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
Old 12/09/2011, 06:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post
Im LOVING my pre3 on at&t data speeds are sick. Family plan works out to about the same as sprint

We are paying slightly less than we were on Sprint. Have unlimited mobile to any mobile, and to get a new phone with Sprint would be paying $20 more with the smartphone tax.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 07:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

^Yep, getting ready to dump Sprint after 12 years. They could have had me for life if only they wanted to give WebOS another chance. Bought 3 AT&T unlocked Pre 3's, 1 for my wife and 2 for me. Surprisingly AT&T service during my 30 day test run is working out very well. Improvements and refinements will continue on this already great device. As for the number of Pre 3's available, the number is noticeably going down and the prices are going up, up, and UP, almost $80.00 more compared to just a couple weeks ago.
ehosey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by grappler and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 12/09/2011, 08:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

I suddenly find myself extraordinarily thrilled to have snagged a Pre 3 a week or so ago. I foresee the remaining stock on ebay selling at a pretty good clip on this news!

Alas, poor WebOS... we barely knew ye...
gihmley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 08:58 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyotast165 View Post

And with the bunch of new performance-related patches (BTW, I think there should be a "Performance" category in the patch section of Preware, but I digress) the Pre3 is awesome.
grappler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 09:13 PM   #12 (permalink)

Have a pre-on Sprint but not for long. New pre3 on AT&T prepaid (GoPhone) $25 for 500 MB as needed is way less than the $45/month (SERO) I'm spending for Sprint now. Moreover, If I had to get a new handset it goes up to $55/month. Coverage is way better on AT&T here than on Sprint...
Old 12/09/2011, 10:12 PM   #13 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

i honestly don't want a pre 3, at all. especially as a developer. i've already got two pre 2's. i'll get an .. evo3d or a real nexus to dev on

fxspec06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 11:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by laoh View Post
There are still plenty up on ebay... what does the open source mean? Should we be buying pre3s before the masses come flooding in, since it means webOS can be further developed for existing Pre handsets... Or is it moot b/c we'll see webOS ported to different hardware?
I anticipate other manufacturers developing and producing webOS smartphones. It wouldn't surprise me to see start up companies solely for that purpose. Someone is going to reap the fruits of Palm's labor.
Peppy431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 11:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

I'm glad I didn't leave sprint. Hopefully I'm booting webOS on an evo in a few months.
KottyKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:08 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KottyKing View Post
I'm glad I didn't leave sprint. Hopefully I'm booting webOS on an evo in a few months.
Yep or a epic 4g dual boot to webos (kinda like cm7 for tp except opposite@!)
cyberprashant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:17 AM   #17 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
i honestly don't want a pre 3, at all. especially as a developer. i've already got two pre 2's. i'll get an .. evo3d or a real nexus to dev on
The Evo 3D shares the same chipset as the Touchpad/Touchpad 4G (MSM8X60), so a port shouldn't be that much of a stretch outside of device drivers for the camera, etc. One of the webOS Internals folks already has an unofficial port running on their device without the open-source version (so it doesn't really run anywhere close to usably).

With the open-source version of webOS available, that divide should close quickly enough--with enough work.
dignitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 01:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Its likely that compatibility wont be 100% on non-Palm hardware. Even so, I'd say Pre 3 now, if you must have it, but look forward to the hardware ports. When that will happen is anybody's guess since a lot of work, legal and organizational, has to be done first. By the time all of this pans out, the Pre 3 will be a non-issue.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 03:35 AM   #19 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
Brother, you know me well enough outside of these forums at this point....

Once you have held/used a Pre3, you wouldn't say all that. Unless you don't need/want a physical keyboard. If I had known what would happen in a few months, I would have bout 4 Pre3's.... Not mad at what we have, the Veer is a dream, as is the Pre2... but every time I think I could live without my Pre3..... I pick up the Pre2 my wife uses... the Pre2 is so awesome, just charged the Veers tonight too... But the Pre3 (as I have said before) is like the Veer and the Pre2 had some crazy large mutant baby, that is all the awesomeness and more that the Veer and Pre2 had.

Veer and Pre2 do have better memory (TMC) management.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/11/2011, 05:30 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Once you have held/used a Pre3, you wouldn't say all that.
Not a bad device at all. Ive been testing one and may pull the trigger soon. The kyb is a plus maybe for the occasional long post or email, but I'd love to get that vkyb patch stable for everyday use. Hopefully, w/ the recent HP decision, bits and pieces of code will begin trickling out soon and this, like a host of other things, will be sorted out.

Quote:
Veer and Pre2 do have better memory (TMC) management.
Didnt the patches fix that for you? I havent seen TMC errors since installing them.

PS:
Why'd you change the avatar, man? My other half cracks up every time I point it out because it looks EXACTLY like the dude.
p41m3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0