webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What's in it for HP?
What's in it for HP?
Like Tree9Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 01:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

I don't mean to be cynical, but what financial interest do HP have in maintaining webOS? I know they have their cut from the App Catalog, but I can't imagine that being a good business model.

webOS printers? webOS toasters?

Perhaps it's just a legal thing that they have to support for a certain amount of time after products they sell are at end of life?
Nokia 3210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 3330 -> Sharp GX10 -> Nokia 3410 -> Siemens C66 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson W810i -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire/Samsung Galaxy Europa/Samsung Wave/iPhone 3G -> Palm Pre 2
Popple3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Possibly just the app catalog. If webOS gets on more devices, more devs will be making apps and the app catalog should be more populated, thus increasing HP's profits due to increased webOS adoption.
gamer765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Slightly more for sure and possibly a lot more then just killing it.
babydaddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

(and to continue this train of thought):

...adoption will drive interest from 3rd-party app devs and hardware vendors (if that's still on the table).

But of course, the lynchpin is hardware. Is there enough in the wild now or available short-term to foster that support and excitement without the promise of NEW hardware in the future?

Can the TouchPad be considered a pure "developer device" without a 2.0? Will a dev be able to push WebOS to the next level without a device that features (for example) NFC or an LTE chipset and portable drivers for that?
auTONYmous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)

they get a great tax write-off and make community happy and keep door open for their continued use of software for printers.
dgf2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by GreenHex likes this.
Thanked By: GreenHex
Old 12/09/2011, 01:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

ooh....I just read this...here's the REALLY interesting part:

http://www.precentral.net/open-source-plan...last paragraph.

The PATENTS are the key. Anybody ready for HTC to jump ship, bringing already-equipped Beats Audio handhelds (slabs, no doubt) back to WebOS?

I've heard "easier to code than Android" (can't quantify that statement). How about "Patent Protected" to get hardware vendors interested in a Free as-in-beer and mature OS ready to deploy.

This **** just got real!

Last edited by auTONYmous; 12/09/2011 at 02:43 PM.
auTONYmous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auTONYmous View Post
ooh....I just read this...here's the REALLY interesting part:

http://www.precentral.net/open-source-plan...last paragraph.

The PATENTS are the key. Anybody ready for HTC to jump ship, bringing already-equipped Beats Audio handhelds (slabs, no doubt) back to WebOS?

I've heard "easier to code than Android" (can't quantify that statement). How about "Patent Protected" to get hardware vendors interested in a Free as-in-beer and mature OS ready to deploy.

This **** just got real!
cant get to linky.
dgf2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I guess this answers the question:
Meg Whitman and Marc Andreessen on webOS: 'We will use webOS in new hardware... in tablets' | The Verge

More webOS tablets! Sweet!
Nokia 3210 -> Nokia 3310 -> Nokia 3330 -> Sharp GX10 -> Nokia 3410 -> Siemens C66 -> Sony Ericsson K700i -> Sony Ericsson W810i -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire -> iPhone 3G -> iPhone -> iPhone 3G -> HTC Desire/Samsung Galaxy Europa/Samsung Wave/iPhone 3G -> Palm Pre 2
Popple3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by jblather likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 02:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by auTONYmous View Post
I've heard "easier to code than Android" (can't quantify that statement).
The "easier to code than Android" issue I believe relates more to the varied hardware sets out there as well as all the OEM forks and overlays of Android. The unfortunate truth is that webOS could end up in the same situation if the OEMs start forking it.
OrionAntares#CB is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 02:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here is my thoughts,

HP wants a plan B in event windows 8 tablets dont take off, which they have good reason for concern. By open sourcing WebOs it will strengthen it and its ecosystem, which makes it a stronger alternative. By open sourcing it, it allows other vendors to work on building a user base, which means HP does not need to invest billions into making it a viable option for users and developers.

People need to remember Windows 8 is branded like an alternative tablet OS, this means it needs to go head to head with the Ipad, and any relevance and credibility windows had from the billions of PC's sold is lost, just like the windows phone. Essentially windows 8 will need to start from scratch, apps, devices etc.. This is probably why microsoft is trying so hard to shove the original "full" windows into windows 8, so it wont be compared directly to the ipad.

Thoughts?
stri8ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:03 PM   #11 (permalink)

So is HP being very smart by open sourcing WebOS? Because technically if the developers and community are developing the software, it saves HP money but also gains traction for the OS itself meaning third party developers create more apps for the platform and it eventually gains popularity. Do you think HP wants this to happen so in the future, when the OS could possibly have much more traction than it does now, be put onto hardware and sold by HP?
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:53 PM   #12 (permalink)

Also, if HP believes the real money is in the cloud and enterprise apps, the easier it is for you to consume these backend services, the more likely you will -- especially if the platform and HP already have a working relationship (Synergy).
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 01:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

I can't understand how HP plans on making money from open sourcing webOS and that worries me. With no way to turn a profit I can't see webOS lasting a long while as an open source project.

The only ways I can think that webOS can be leveraged for money when its open sourced is from hardware sales, apps, and sell through of content. HP has stated they are not creating hardware in the near term, possibly all of 2012, and then just on tablets.

HP does not own content stores. They don't sell music, movies, or books. Perhaps they could negotiate a sales commission similar to a retail store, however there are not many good online content stores to partner with.

Apps are not as lucrative as they seem. In fact I doubt they even cover their expenses for HP. Apple has stated that the app store breaks even and although I don't believe it to be entirely true I don't think it makes a significant portion of their profit.

All I see HP doing is spending money on employees, servers, cloud services, support, lawyers, and whatever else for a zero return investment. I don't think its sustainable and it makes me worry about webOS's future.
i2y4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 02:02 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
I can't understand how HP plans on making money from open sourcing webOS and that worries me. With no way to turn a profit I can't see webOS lasting a long while as an open source project.
Your right... Google makes no money from Android.
djphatjive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 02:45 AM   #15 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by djphatjive View Post
Your right... Google makes no money from Android.
Different model - google's is based around ad-revenue from search on the phones plus they have a content infrastructure and the licensing costs for their suite of apps - even then it's not actually clear if they are making money off it, they are very vague about it in their quarterly reports.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: i2y4n
Old 12/10/2011, 04:00 AM   #16 (permalink)

I think HP just want WebOS on their printer. And to make environment that benefits their printer they want anybody else do the works via open source the webOS. So if lots of vendor make devices base on WebOS. Then HP printer base on WebOS will appealed many people especially business market.
The Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:25 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post

The only ways I can think that webOS can be leveraged for money when its open sourced is from hardware sales, apps, and sell through of content. HP has stated they are not creating hardware in the near term, possibly all of 2012, and then just on tablets.

HP does not own content stores. They don't sell music, movies, or books. Perhaps they could negotiate a sales commission similar to a retail store, however there are not many good online content stores to partner with.

Apps are not as lucrative as they seem. In fact I doubt they even cover their expenses for HP. Apple has stated that the app store breaks even and although I don't believe it to be entirely true I don't think it makes a significant portion of their profit.

All I see HP doing is spending money on employees, servers, cloud services, support, lawyers, and whatever else for a zero return investment. I don't think its sustainable and it makes me worry about webOS's future.
canonical is pretty successful business-wise with ubuntu....
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Vistaus
Old 12/10/2011, 04:30 AM   #18 (permalink)

as of now they can let others do the bulk of their OS work then at a later date if it picks up, somehow step in and profit, maybe via new hardware sales or just from the app cat side, who knows.

we shoudlnt complain tbh, we got something tasty.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 05:03 AM   #19 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungenius View Post
canonical is pretty successful business-wise with ubuntu....
Are they? last year, they were talking about how revenues might allow them to finally breakeven, I'm not sure what the current picture is.

I'm not even sure it's worth having a conversation about success at this stage because we don't know all the specifics yet or what KPIs they are going to use to determine how far their support goes - I am guessing it is going to be 2013/2014 before we have any real picture.

Anyway as Geekpeter says best to enjoy the moment...
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 06:57 AM   #20 (permalink)

Let me try to explain this from a financial perspective.

HP bought webOS for $1.2B, even if HP can sell this thing for $700M today (which might not be possible), you still post an immediate loss of $500M. Instead, if HP keep this assets and try to make another business model, this asset is still worth $1.2B and potentially may bring in additional revenue.

Open source does not mean free of charge for vendors using webOS, and HP is still in control of all the webOS patterns, and manages the webOS user online account services, which is tightly integrated into webOS as an potential full function cloud service. If HP does the right thing, they will make revenue with a service. This means even if HP does not sell its hardware device, they still can make money. Of course, when webOS market really takes off, HP can easily start the device business again with its obvious hardware expertise and cost advantage - it is the No.1 PC manufacturer.
pad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Ken in Regina and Vistaus like this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0