webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What's in it for HP?
What's in it for HP?
Like Tree9Likes

Old 12/31/2011, 10:11 AM   #41 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
Are they? last year, they were talking about how revenues might allow them to finally breakeven, I'm not sure what the current picture is.

I'm not even sure it's worth having a conversation about success at this stage because we don't know all the specifics yet or what KPIs they are going to use to determine how far their support goes - I am guessing it is going to be 2013/2014 before we have any real picture.

Anyway as Geekpeter says best to enjoy the moment...
Yes, Canonical is making revenue, especially with the business deals with some hardware makers and with Vodacom and stuff.
They're making profit, so even though it took them some time, the fact they're making profit makes it more than reasonable to say that their business model IS starting to work.
Vistaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/31/2011, 10:27 AM   #42 (permalink)

HP gets an entire community helping them continue development, which HP can use for their own implementations on printers or future tablets.

and in doing so they protect their patents. Patents that aren't used are not defensible.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/01/2012, 12:19 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
Patents that aren't used are not defensible.
Do you have any info support this? I don't think it's true. There are plenty of patent trolls that don't make anything but sue for patent infringement. It is true for trademarks but I don't think it applies to patents or copyrights.
crabbz is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0