webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > What will I get in my Touchpad after few months (days?) of open source?
What will I get in my Touchpad after few months (days?) of open source?
View Poll Results: webOS open source benefits
Revamped look n feel to webOS 38 40.43%
More new apps & famous ones 52 55.32%
No traction 23 24.47%
Fragmented 8 8.51%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree20Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 01:20 PM   #1 (permalink)

Will I get best and all available major apps?

Will I get revamped look n feel?
athirukk134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

When dalvik gets ported, webOS will be a toto os IMO!
woodmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 01:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodmaster View Post
When dalvik gets ported, webOS will be a toto os IMO!
no idea what you just tried to say, but when you can have android apps running in webos cards and access to the android store that would be quite a good thing :P
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I doubt you will see anything much different from now as this move to open source will probably wind up taking more like a year or longer by then the TouchPad hardware might not be in the best of shape anymore and in need of replacement. Hope to be proved wrong though
crucialcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:53 PM   #5 (permalink)

If I understand this correctly, like linux, eventually you'll be able to run a laptop with webos, correct?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
etphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:01 PM   #6 (permalink)

You could also port WebOS to an iPad 2/3 by the time it's available.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 05:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

I think this option is missing from the poll, which would be a big win for the consumer:

"Bug fixes and some evolutionary improvements."
chodaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by chalx, fxspec06, zubiaur and 2 others like this.
Thanked by fxspec06, mivoligo, zubiaur
Old 12/09/2011, 05:48 PM   #8 (permalink)
*Moderator in Memorium*

All I know is my carputer dream lives!!!!
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by FliedLice, retroblu, sledge007 and 1 others like this.
Old 12/09/2011, 05:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:

I was thinking exactly on this last week.
Old 12/09/2011, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)

And a fix for the bluetooth driver!
In the future, we will all tether our Touchpads with our DUN supporting phones and we will browse from anywhere and everywhere.
nithinphilips is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by crucialcolin likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 01:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

How about access to the microphone, so we may have a real musician's tuner application?
jazzdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sledge007 likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 03:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzdoc View Post
How about access to the microphone, so we may have a real musician's tuner application?
I agree, I play jazz trombone and I'm often frustrated with the lack of tuner on my TP.
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

This is all nice and everything, but you guys do realize that people have to actually develop these applications... If the developer isn't getting paid their not going to come to WebOS, no matter how open source it is.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by independent1 likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 04:20 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
This is all nice and everything, but you guys do realize that people have to actually develop these applications... If the developer isn't getting paid their not going to come to WebOS, no matter how open source it is.
yea, that explains why there is like 40,000 programs in the ubuntu software center most of them free... and by 40,000 i mean actually useful programs and multiple takes on a type of program.. tons of people make opensource software and give it away for no cost and then build businesses around it doing corporate/enterprise support etc....

there are so many business opportunities for people if they really think about it with how many touchpads are out there in the wild now... i like how some people don't get it, and say things like 'a developer isnt getting paid so their not going to come to webos' but what you don't realize is that since the app store is so small at the moment, its literally the best time FOR them to come even with a much smaller userbase their exposure is MUCH better
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover and Vistaus like this.
Old 12/10/2011, 07:30 AM   #15 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Sure, but do you need 32,000 different text editors?
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 10:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ursula View Post
Okay, but open source applications should be easier to develop, and if going open source brings more hardware and more market share, we'll definitely see more apps in the future.
EvanKr is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Vistaus likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 12:14 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
Hoping we can get it ported to those cheap Android 7inchers that pop up once a week on 1saleaday and such... Carputer, back seat carputer, HTPC remote... Oh the great possibilities
FetusSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
Thanked By: OldSkoolVWLover
Old 12/10/2011, 12:29 PM   #18 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Lots have tried Linux (I have) But outside of IT depts, does anyone actually use it? It was far too much hassle to figure out for me to want to try installing much on my distro, much less my wife to use it.

Hope springs eternal. Fortunately the TouchPad works pretty well as-is, and webOS Internals and the HP software team will probably keep it working well.

I just don't expect any big-name apps to use.

- Sent from my HP webOS TouchPad using Communities -
BBooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 03:53 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBooDoc View Post
Lots have tried Linux (I have) But outside of IT depts, does anyone actually use it? It was far too much hassle to figure out for me to want to try installing much on my distro, much less my wife to use it.

Hope springs eternal. Fortunately the TouchPad works pretty well as-is, and webOS Internals and the HP software team will probably keep it working well.

I just don't expect any big-name apps to use.

- Sent from my HP webOS TouchPad using Communities -
Without trying to get too sidetracked on the topic, Ubuntu is pretty install and forget it for most computer users.

More on topic, I think we'll see more open source ports come our way. Maybe the next Angry Birds on TouchPads since there is a rather large install base for an advertisement supported release.
Old 12/14/2011, 03:35 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by independent1 View Post
3) top-tier developers to realize the mistake of their ways and suddenly treat webOS as a top-tier OS just because it's open source.
Even with former full HP's support of webOS, few developers I've contacted explained me why they can't start developing/porting to webOS - they couldn't afford time not only for development, but for maintenance of ported apps also. They couldn't manage to develop and maintain steady updates for two platforms. They simply cannot post on iOS forums and webOS forums, chatting with people about bugs on different platforms. Fact that webOS is open sourced will not change this situation at all.

Tags
open source, webos

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0