webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Like Tree26Likes

Old 01/10/2012, 10:49 AM   #101 (permalink)

Ironically, PayPal is the ONLY method they use for paying developers their cut of the app revenue.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp likes this.
Old 01/10/2012, 11:50 AM   #102 (permalink)

Building on the multi-user idea, I think there was something to truly be said for the "device agnostic" idea which floated around on this website some months ago. I'll leave it to those more technologlically knowledgable than I to explain why this would be unreasonably difficult, but assuming the governance organization has the ability to maintain profiles like HP/Palm had, the ability to keep current state across devices would be (I think) a significant asset.

Gargoyle
gargoylejps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 02:27 PM   #103 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post
Building on the multi-user idea, I think there was something to truly be said for the "device agnostic" idea which floated around on this website some months ago. I'll leave it to those more technologlically knowledgable than I to explain why this would be unreasonably difficult, but assuming the governance organization has the ability to maintain profiles like HP/Palm had, the ability to keep current state across devices would be (I think) a significant asset.

Gargoyle
HP should use cloud based portable webOS profiles as a showpiece to demonstrate it's capability at providing custom enterprise cloud services...
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 05:04 AM   #104 (permalink)

Open source software is a great idea. Freely available software that allow companies to build products faster by leveraging a community of developers. But does the cost saving benefit of using open source outweigh the code being publicly available?

Anyone, including attackers, can see the program logic and identify potential problems and vulnerabilities in the codebase. Any company using a piece of open source software which attacker chooses to analyze can become a potential target. When a hole is found, it can be weaponized and then published as a module in metasploit for anyone to use.

When the developer fixes the security issue, the only companies that benefit from it are the ones who stay informed to open source updates. This is why being alerted to changes in the open source software that your company uses is crucial.
liza-minnelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/08/2012, 07:59 AM   #105 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoylejps View Post

Gargoyle
after all HP come up with something that can bright webOS future. People want more webOS products with lots of new features and apps. I hope that the Open source will bring the same and also, will be able to use all platforms as well.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0