webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Like Tree26Likes

Old 12/12/2011, 09:11 AM   #81 (permalink)

No hardware, no OS we need to be able to run WEBOS in a NEW phone soon very soon.

If I was running the show, my priority number one will be to provide a way for people to run WEBOS(dual boot) in a ANDROID/IPHONE/DROID (in all major carriers) device ASAP so the operating system goes on. Look at me, I am running WEBOS 1.4.5 on a Sprint Pre device without any possibility to upgrade the OS or the phone. I am just waiting for my upgrade to move on now if I could boot my new android phone with WEBOS, I will do it in a hard beat. Then they can really assess the market demand and determined if it is worth it, or it is really dead.
tungsten c#AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 11:12 AM   #82 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
So you know where you are in relation to the end of the page. Not like on a PC, but like iOS
No, I mean real scroll bars, that you can grab and drag when you are on a page or list that is a million miles long. I get sick and tired of flicking! My first experience with this was my wife's Instinct, and I wanted to throw the stupid thing through a wall!! Even if they are hidden until you start a scroll, I'm okay with that, just so I can grab the indicator and drag it wherever I want to! Android does that in a few places, not sure about iOS(doubt it). WinMO had them, and they worked great. I miss them.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 11:21 AM   #83 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
On a touchscreen? Why?
Ever have to flick a mile long list or web page? Horrible experience!

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/12/2011, 02:03 PM   #84 (permalink)

I agree with a few others here.

The best way, in my opinion, to attract new developers is to make it easy for them. Providing the Enyo framework on as many platforms as possible means they don't have to leave their comfort zone, they just instantly get access to a new (albeit small) marketplace. Their apps work on everything, and WebOS in general wins.

That said, if Enyo works better on ANOTHER platform, that'd be REALLY BAD for WebOS. So, my second vote would be for a more optimized platform.
larsoncc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/13/2011, 01:26 PM   #85 (permalink)

Any chance that someone would gather up all these suggestions and tally them? Maybe even make a poll?

This is the kind of thing I would enjoy doing, however, I am smashed with work right now.
Old 12/13/2011, 08:35 PM   #86 (permalink)

Proper virtual keyboard for phones
Start planning for how it will work on different screen sizes (from watches to TVs, it's open source now, so it's going to be used everywhere)
Touch-to-share API
UI hardware acceleration
Port Enyo to Android and iOS
jdlashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 07:32 AM   #87 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

A few have said it but the first priority needs to be devices. We must show the app running on hardware that is out there (Evo 3d) is probably the closest from what I understand. If we can show that HTC may decide to make a device for it if it is shown people want it and that it wont cost them a lot in RND.

Features are great but the current devices will last only so long. We need new Devices.
tonyparisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 07:47 AM   #88 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I think the idea, at least from HP's point of view, is to give webOS some time to mature and become polished through it's open sourcing (give it a year or so) and then bring the new hardware and make a push into the mobile market proper.
So it's up to us in the meantime to make webOS the best mobile OS there is for when new hardware does come as opposed to rushing something unfinished to market yet again, as has been the situation with webOS plenty of times before.
Don't get me wrong, I want to see webOS on an Android handset as much as the next man, but imo the OS should run really well on official hardware before we start trying to optimize it for other stuff.
Old 12/19/2011, 08:12 AM   #89 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
No hardware, no OS we need to be able to run WEBOS in a NEW phone soon very soon.

If I was running the show, my priority number one will be to provide a way for people to run WEBOS(dual boot) in a ANDROID/IPHONE/DROID (in all major carriers) device ASAP so the operating system goes on. Look at me, I am running WEBOS 1.4.5 on a Sprint Pre device without any possibility to upgrade the OS or the phone. I am just waiting for my upgrade to move on now if I could boot my new android phone with WEBOS, I will do it in a hard beat. Then they can really assess the market demand and determined if it is worth it, or it is really dead.
+1111e111!

Homebrew has webOS running so well now that I would say any major goals have been accomplished, haven't they?

But we need hardware for it to run on. If there are devices out there--on whatever carrier--that have the potential to run webOS, why not take advantage of it?

We could call the resulting device:

"Symbiote"
"Venom"
"Dax"
"Sigourney"

Lol!

or something.
katefields is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/19/2011, 09:16 AM   #90 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Functionally, yes, it has everything it needs to work and be usable, it's a great os! However, it's something of a beast, the original Pre was capable of exactly the same performance as the iPhone 3GS, but was it as smooth and as fast? No. My Pre3 runs at 2Ghz, is it as smooth as an iPhone 4S? No. Can it be? Definitely, and more to boot.
webOS is in need of a lot of optimization, and the homebrew community (myself included) has been doing as much as is possible with the tools given to us. But without the source code of the OS, we're unable to make a lot of changes that would create significant improvements, such as a fully hardware-accelerated UI. That alone would offload graphics to the GPU, freeing the CPU up for other tasks such as loading data, crunching numbers etc and making the OS perform a lot faster in general.

We don't have that for official devices yet, and unofficial devices are likely to have different hardware, therefore different drivers. I think it'd be better to perfect it on the original hardware for which we have all the drivers etc. set up before we strike out and start putting it on other devices. Hence my earlier point of having some dev time before webOS goes back to market.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/21/2011, 10:19 PM   #91 (permalink)

I think the person who mentioned wine was absolutely right - having the ability to launch an android app in a card is not the death of the OS. The OS is about being able to drop out of that app, swipe to another app, and come back. It's about notifications that don't suck. Etc. People used wine until they could get something native, and then they never looked back.

People, even developers, develop for the platform they use every day. If we make the platform something people can use every day, they'll use it, then expand it. It's why I have the Android dev kit installed - I wanted my phone to do something, and there wasn't the exact app I wanted, so I decided to write my own. When I was using my (original) Pre, I was hacking away one it.

Large developers, you're right, might not develop native apps. But small ones will (it's the phone they use). And large devs who want to stretch outside the bounds of the Android-on-pre will develop natively, if there's a user base.

But no apps means no users, and that's a death sentence.
odoketa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/07/2012, 10:38 PM   #92 (permalink)

I'd like to see

talk to text (much more voice recognition options in general)
expansion of touch to share (this is a hugely untapped capability)
pw protection of folders and files individually
Netflix either app or browser capability
kledanhoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/08/2012, 04:25 AM   #93 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
expansion of touch to share (this is a hugely untapped capability)
This is actually an area that the community should forget, it's a technological dead-end, by the time that another device is about, NFC will be everywhere and that should form the basis of any device to device communications going forward.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2012, 04:28 PM   #94 (permalink)

How about making webOS multi-user capable, either at the device level, webOS account level, or some other network/enterprise/cloud authorization scheme? Would be nice to able to share the same tablet with different users, each with different home directories, different UI settings, different synergy accounts, etc. I'd love to be able to save my own work state when I handed tablet off to my GF for her to use under her own account, and be able to pick it right up where I left off when I log back into my account. Clearly not an easy task, but this would be a huge win over the current complete lack of multi user capabilities in tablet platforms, and an attractive enterprise feature.
jcerwinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2012, 05:35 PM   #95 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
This is actually an area that the community should forget, it's a technological dead-end....
Actually, only the _hardware_ we us is a dead end. (The HP proprietary a6 microcontroller + comm coils). We were working on adding standard NFS hardware to new devices and extending tap-2-share to use either a6 or NFC interchangeably. We were planning to continue putting a6 in new devices *** long as there was a sufficient demand (i.e. TP1, Veer and Pre3 devices in the wild) eventually phasing it out.

The "non-existant" little brother of the TP has both... {I'm being obtuse as I've heard that someone here got canned for talking about unreleased product... I like my paycheck and the idea of moving webOS to open source... webOS-OSS???}

edc
chejlava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/09/2012, 06:44 PM   #96 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Plus several thousand for multi-user functionality. That would make the TP awesome for family use, just leave it on the Touchstone in the living room and anyone can pick it up and use it with their own customised setup. Awesome.

Also, I'm guessing it wouldn't be possible to interface between standard NFC and proprietary HP coils? Shame really, I was hoping for google wallet for my Pre3 someday in the distant future :P
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 05:33 AM   #97 (permalink)

Top priorities not directly related to actual webOS development: strategy ; a continuous information campaign (teaching, teasing, advertising) to maintain interest and hope; efforts to find out how many people are using webOS and in what ways, and what they want/need; a good and attractive alternative marketplace for discovering (and possibly buying) homebrew apps and patches without having to mess about with forums and IPKs and whatnot.

re. the OS:

1. split-screen!! (eg. to enable browser/PDF + evernote/flashcard/browser)
2. multi-user
3. being able to use android/android apps (through chrooting at least; haven't been any successful coordinated attempts to get this working, and I have no idea how the efforts to get android to work with X--eg. androiX--are going).
4. ad framework to enable $$$ even from free apps

5. Make it easier and quicker to change keyboards :P these have long been among the most popular apps for android and for good reasons.
6. port enyo. Also make it easier for webOS to seamlessly use existing HTML5 apps online.
7. Better browser, pref. with tabs and text reflow
protiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/10/2012, 08:06 AM   #98 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by protiki View Post
Top priorities not directly related to actual webOS development: strategy ; a continuous information campaign (teaching, teasing, advertising) to maintain interest and hope; efforts to find out how many people are using webOS and in what ways, and what they want/need; a good and attractive alternative marketplace for discovering (and possibly buying) homebrew apps and patches without having to mess about with forums and IPKs and whatnot.

re. the OS:

1. split-screen!! (eg. to enable browser/PDF + evernote/flashcard/browser)
2. multi-user
3. being able to use android/android apps (through chrooting at least; haven't been any successful coordinated attempts to get this working, and I have no idea how the efforts to get android to work with X--eg. androiX--are going).
4. ad framework to enable $$$ even from free apps

5. Make it easier and quicker to change keyboards :P these have long been among the most popular apps for android and for good reasons.
6. port enyo. Also make it easier for webOS to seamlessly use existing HTML5 apps online.
7. Better browser, pref. with tabs and text reflow
You should add another one that is very important.
8. Add Paypal or any other easy to use payment system to the App Store. Restrictiing the App Store to credit cards based on the limited list of countries is bad. There are many users (like me) who want to pay for apps but can't due to those regional restrictions. Would it be too difficult to sell virtual gift cards or something similar through HP or Amazon, wherever, usable on any Webos App Store (US, Canada, Australia, etc.)?
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: protiki
Old 01/10/2012, 08:37 AM   #99 (permalink)
Rnp

Hey, people... c'mon...

Do you know WHY the Android sells more than other SOs?

Because have HARDWARE in all places! Hardware expensive, hardware cheap, hardware good, hardware bad... and not because "the SO is perfect".

After have HARDWARE, we can believe in chances to SO.

The Meego/Maemo was dead because the Nokia stop the hardware, and not because has bad devices. This just as example...

IF... release the SO as Open Source AND Samsung, LG, Sony, etc announce that gonna invest in devices to the plataform, the webOS gonna be safe! "IF", of course...

Quote:
Add Paypal or any other easy to use payment system to the App Store. Restrictiing the App Store to credit cards based on the limited list of countries is bad. There are many users (like me) who want to pay for apps but can't due to those regional restrictions.
Put me in this group, too! Well, paying using my carrier bill is not a bad idea, too... to me, pay in my carrier bill gonna be the BEST option, in true!

Best Regards...
Old 01/10/2012, 08:54 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepebuho View Post
You should add another one that is very important.
8. Add Paypal or any other easy to use payment system to the App Store. Restrictiing the App Store to credit cards based on the limited list of countries is bad. There are many users (like me) who want to pay for apps but can't due to those regional restrictions. Would it be too difficult to sell virtual gift cards or something similar through HP or Amazon, wherever, usable on any Webos App Store (US, Canada, Australia, etc.)?
Hi!

That is indeed an important addition, although I'm not sure what legal hurdles there may be (with sales taxes etc).

I was forced to use a virtual debit card from usunlocked.com, but it worked well the permanent association of accounts with countries was a frickin nightmare of course.
protiki is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0