webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Like Tree26Likes

Old 12/10/2011, 08:33 AM   #41 (permalink)

Quote:
If dismantle webOS software team, who will provide new API's?
They're keeping their works. But anyways, anyone with knowledge can do it.

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
Old 12/10/2011, 08:40 AM   #42 (permalink)

If it hasn't been mentioned yet -- **** scrollbars!

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked by Keanu_ likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 08:44 AM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eblade View Post
I want a developer API that allows me to have the user grant permissions to my applications to be able to do various things that are just not allowed at the moment: .....
Amen. I have been asking them this since I wrote the SMS fwd/reply app, now it may finally happen. Dozens of Android apps to do it, but I couldn't release mine on webOS.

Grabber5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 10:33 AM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
If it hasn't been mentioned yet -- **** scrollbars!
On a touchscreen? Why?
Old 12/10/2011, 11:24 AM   #45 (permalink)

And screen rotation lock.
Pr3dator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 11:27 AM   #46 (permalink)

Update the webkit engine
Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
neville1355 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Isandunk likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 11:57 AM   #47 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
On a touchscreen? Why?
So you know where you are in relation to the end of the page. Not like on a PC, but like on iOS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr3dator View Post
And screen rotation lock.
uh.. Tap the system menu, tap "Rotation Lock".. at least on TouchPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neville View Post
Update the webkit engine
HP has been working on this for some update in the future, already.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:34 PM   #48 (permalink)

A Veer ROM that adds Skype and other new stuff from the new versions but doesn't attempt the borked A6 flash
GodShapedHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 12:41 PM   #49 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanu_ View Post
webos is still in it's infancy- far from an advanced interface. Take the cards for instance.

When you open up a new card, it takes about 1.2 seconds to start up, because of the animations. That's a long time. Then there's the accidentally flicking a card off the screen.
What are you running webOS on? a 386? I don't think I've ever had problems with accidentally throwing a card away, except when I accidentally throw the -wrong- card away .. but that's just because i'm a ****** sometimes.

Quote:
The fact is, you can't move fast enough in the cards.
yeah it would be nice to be able to move several cards in one motion. another oft requested thing, especially on touchpad, is to be able to have a view that shows more than one card, in like a tiled fashion. i'd suggest that as an option to replace stacks on large screen devices.

Quote:
But the thing I've recently noticed is the multitasking aspect is still halfway there. Most of the cards you see will be white. So it's not actually running. It's just open.
That's up to the app for the most part. Many apps willingly pause when you move them out of the foreground, becuase.. well, many apps don't need to be doing much of anything in the background.

This actually reminds me of a request I'd like -- in addition to the Foreground and Background notifications, I'd like to receive a notice to my apps when the card is VISIBLE but not foreground.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/10/2011, 03:03 PM   #50 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

I imagine that one of the first things someone will do is set up the web view so that it will load a new site when it's not foreground.

You may try Advanced Browser, which has a tab layout, and apparently when you open a link in a new tab, it will focus that tab until the page starts loading, then return to the one you started it. At least, that's what I've heard.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Old 12/10/2011, 03:08 PM   #51 (permalink)

I have a question. As far as i understand webOS is built on Webkit? Have i understood correctly? If thats the case you can build the operating system and apps on HTML 5? And many other companies is adopting HTML 5 maybe webOS can go in that direction too?

I read it from here: https://developer.palm.com/content/a...uidelines.html
Old 12/10/2011, 03:14 PM   #52 (permalink)

E_blade stop trolling. People are entitled to their opinions. and not for you do bash skew or overlook them for it. These are just enhancements and features the webos community would like to have or be improved upon.
giggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:04 PM   #53 (permalink)

This is a long shot, but I want the widget dock that was designed in the UI contest from about a year ago.

I also want to emulate "back" in any app by swiping in from the right bezel.

I also want a wave launcher from the side bar to be triggered by my thumb.

I want a legit thumb keyboard with swipe

I have been able to do all of this in Android and now I find that I don't detest that OS. (see Button Savior, wave launcher, and DockForDroid)

I also want siri.

That's not too much to ask is it?

Last edited by japomani; 12/10/2011 at 04:22 PM.
japomani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:42 PM   #54 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Heavy optimisation of the core software
Full hardware accelleration at 60+FPS (iOS Style) with smooth animations
A unifying 4.0 release for phones and tablets
A 4.0 lite release to bring legacy devices up to current standards, perhaps omitting features that they can't use/handle. Unless 4.0 is awesome enough to be able to run on them anyway.
More ways to use cards, pinned cards that are always there, two cards active at once for tablets (Windows 7 half screen snap type thing) etc.
A proper mojo emulator on tablets
Multitasking gestures for tablets and phones without gesture areas
webOS Internals core apps (govnah, preware, internalz, etc) baked in, perhaps hidden in a togglable 'advanced' launcher page
Google Wallet for NFC-enabled devices
Improve the visual aesthetic of app frameworks (enyo panes that animate and rescale whilst being moved, transitions that animate to a frame based on the finger's progress through the triggering gesture, etc)
A launcher for phones that can rotate into all 4 orientations (and apps to match)
Either improve mojo to enyo standards and establish a main framework for phones and one for tablets, or retire mojo and incorporate some of it's elements into enyo (back gestures for all apps)
The possibilities are endless

Last edited by ShiftyAxel; 12/10/2011 at 04:58 PM.
ShiftyAxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Keanu_ likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 06:51 PM   #55 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ungenius View Post
ms messenger for synergy? how about just completely unlocking libpurple and allowing synergy to work with everything it works with:
aim, bonjour, facebook, gadu-gadu,googletalk,groupwise,icq, irc, msn, mxit, myspaceim, napster, simple, snpp, sametime, xmpp, yahoo, yahoo japan, zephyr
synergy has so much more promise if opensourced
because this is "what are your top priorities?" and there are finite resources, even with open source...

btw, some of those are already there.

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 06:55 PM   #56 (permalink)

Oh, and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet. multi-byte character sets (e.g., Japanese, etc) for the keyboard.

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by laoh and Keanu_ like this.
Old 12/10/2011, 07:16 PM   #57 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggles View Post
E_blade stop trolling. People are entitled to their opinions. and not for you do bash skew or overlook them for it. These are just enhancements and features the webos community would like to have or be improved upon.
I'm not sure which of my comments you're responding to, but your comment doesn't make sense in the context of any comment that I see in this thread. I'm normally pretty laid back, but I am seriously absolutely -stumped- as to how anyone could take anything that i've said in this thread as trolling, and am completely offended by that accusation.
Quote:
GO OPEN WEBOS!
Liked by renater and Astronomer like this.
Thanked by Keanu_, pml
Old 12/10/2011, 08:15 PM   #58 (permalink)

Fix the browser. This random and repeated refreshing is killing me. Phone and TouchPad both do it.
matthew.rosenfelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: Keanu_
Old 12/10/2011, 09:23 PM   #59 (permalink)

connecting to my non-HP WiFi printer would be cool beans!

Expanded audio/video/imaging capabilities would be nice too. It would be great to use the TP as a multitrack demo recorder or portable photo editor, but I know that also depends on updated hardware
Landslug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 09:57 PM   #60 (permalink)

Be able to tether sms to touchpad from all webOS/android phones
jcpetrs is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0