webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Ok, Open Sourced, what are our top priorities/features?
Like Tree26Likes

Old 12/10/2011, 01:06 AM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
Yeah, that worked for RIM...

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
They didn't open source their version of QNX. The point is that if WebOS is ported to tons of devices, people will care if there are Android applications for those devices. Playbook vs. gazillions of different devices.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 01:17 AM   #22 (permalink)

One second!!! I think the FIRST PRIORITY should be a NEW APP STORE!!!!!
It is ridiculous that I cannot support the effort of developers just because HP has built up a very limited App Store.

I would like to pay for my apps using paypal or any other major card (AMEX, VISA, MC) regardless of where in the world I reside.
Or maybe we could let ebay or amazon deal with payments. Whatever. But the geographic restrictions have to go away!

There are quite many applications I would love to purchase but I cannot and the developers are forbidden to sell them off the App Store. As it is, it is a rotten deal if we want webos development to go forward.

Last edited by pepebuho; 12/10/2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: spelling mistakes
pepebuho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 02:58 AM   #23 (permalink)

PreFox | Fractal Brew

for those wanting firefox. its old and unsupported but if someone wants to work on it to make it bettter
jetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:41 AM   #24 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
*chuckles and shakes head*
Right. If we gain the ability to run android apps, then our platform is completely destroyed as no one will write apps for webos.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

I'd like JVM. That would bring a whole host of apps to Webos. Not interested in Dalvik. Native apps must be better.
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 03:53 AM   #26 (permalink)

Touch to Share for Photos (from Phone to TP)
CIFS and NFS support in the GUI (Thus OTA file transfers)
MS Messenger for Synergy
A better media player (VLC would be so cool)
A Better Web Browser
Finish HP Play and enable to do OTA.

Palm III, Treo 600/650/680/750, Pre, Pre3, AT&T Pre3, tp 4G, tp 64GB.

I am an HP Employee. I am not associated in anyway with the development of webOS or associated devices. Opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not in any way represent HP or Palm in any official manner. Any implications derived from my posts are the result of my own point of view and do not indicate any intention or evidence of past, present or future activity or plans of the aforementioned HP or Palm.
siobhanellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by mizerable likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 04:10 AM   #27 (permalink)

What about making Android widgets work on WebOS?
Pr3dator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:12 AM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by siobhanellis View Post
Touch to Share for Photos (from Phone to TP)
CIFS and NFS support in the GUI (Thus OTA file transfers)
MS Messenger for Synergy
A better media player (VLC would be so cool)
A Better Web Browser
Finish HP Play and enable to do OTA.
ms messenger for synergy? how about just completely unlocking libpurple and allowing synergy to work with everything it works with:
aim, bonjour, facebook, gadu-gadu,googletalk,groupwise,icq, irc, msn, mxit, myspaceim, napster, simple, snpp, sametime, xmpp, yahoo, yahoo japan, zephyr
synergy has so much more promise if opensourced
better media player that is built in based on xbmc/vlc/boxee
better audio player (music player remix is awesome, but something stock would be great)
tons of cool things can (and hopefully will) be done once its opensourced..
hp should be giving these ****ing touchpads away to schools and hospitals and to underprivileged communities and everywhere as well with their remaining stock, or buck up and take another few hundred million loss and coat the planet with another few million more at or below cost.. its christmas for **** sake :P
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:25 AM   #29 (permalink)

bluetooth keyboard that does more than just enter text into text fields, move/dismiss/etc cards with k/b, and for the love of god, "Working arrow keys" its insane that arrow keys dont do squat in pretty much every app you expect them to work for, why didnt their keyboard just emulate a normal PC keyboard instead of a different type so at least the mappings worked in apps, rdp and linux etc.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:27 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
bluetooth keyboard that does more than just enter text into text fields, move/dismiss/etc cards with k/b, and for the love of god, "Working arrow keys" its insane that arrow keys dont do squat in pretty much every app you expect them to work for, why didnt their keyboard just emulate a normal PC keyboard instead of a different type so at least the mappings worked in apps, rdp and linux etc.
it doesnt? great.. and i ordered one thats going to be here in a few days for use specifically in linux so i can take it with me and use eclipse to code on... oh well im sure that will be something that will get fixed
Old 12/10/2011, 04:35 AM   #31 (permalink)

keyboard has so much fail for a device that should provide a massive boost to the everyday operation of many apps, such as not being able to just type away into cells in picsels spreadsheet, dosbox/linux didnt have working arow keys either (think linux got fixed tho).

when u have the keyboard sat in front of you, you cant believe how many OS functions or apps cant do simple things via keyboard, so yeah here hopes for some keyboardy goodness, coz when it does help and do what it should, its totally win.
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 04:39 AM   #32 (permalink)

- fix all those sync bugs with Calendar and Cantacts on 3.x and 2.x
- fix bugs in the Skype app
- PPTP VPN for 2.x
- update for Pre 3
- public API for SIP clients/other phone clients
juergen is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tsangh likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 04:45 AM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
keyboard has so much fail for a device that should provide a massive boost to the everyday operation of many apps, such as not being able to just type away into cells in picsels spreadsheet, dosbox/linux didnt have working arow keys either (think linux got fixed tho).

when u have the keyboard sat in front of you, you cant believe how many OS functions or apps cant do simple things via keyboard, so yeah here hopes for some keyboardy goodness, coz when it does help and do what it should, its totally win.
i guess i wont smash it to pieces in rage when it gets delivered :P
Old 12/10/2011, 04:50 AM   #34 (permalink)

Amen to the keyboard I'dea, I would've been ****ed as hell if I'd paid full price for one because it's such a nightmare at times.

There's a lot of tweaks that can be done to the stock software which will hopefully be easier now. Browser mods are a must (multi-touch to create mouseover events anyone?), replacing the audio player with Music Player Remix would be the easiest way forward, expansion of the video player to allow for more codecs and larger file sizes, maybe a little more control too (bookmarks?).

Hopefully there will be development of the ability to run Enyo on phones such as the Pre3, plus work to get it ready for hardware with USB host mode and card support.
webOSnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/10/2011, 05:00 AM   #35 (permalink)

a really nice samba daemon with admin interface would be... well... awesome.. there isn't one out there at the moment is there?
id personally rather have a samba daemon on there than use the samba client on it that i'm currently using
Old 12/10/2011, 06:06 AM   #36 (permalink)

fix the apps that are not up to par and some of the core functions.

Music player that is at least as feature filled and polished as an ipod touch or default android player

A camera with robust features. Look at the android app and add what it has, save to different formats, edit features like crop, zoom, red eye reduction. change the save resolution, macro, etc.

making it feel snappy would help a ton too.

virtual keyboard is a must. and a must for slab form factors.

i'd look to update or develop core apps like youtube and google maps to add features that they have on other platforms

i'd basically copy how apple does cut and paste because i find the webos ways cumbersome.

i'd build in options for a lot of the stuff that's in preware like, displaying 4 x 4 icons, battery percentages, etc.

that's all i got off the top of my head. i'm sleepy.

oh and i second a very robust voice commands. not just search i mean actual android/iphone like voice commands.
Old 12/10/2011, 06:13 AM   #37 (permalink)

Proper bluetooth support would be nice.

But are binary blobs going to be part of the release?
grazzt is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Keanu_ likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 06:18 AM   #38 (permalink)

I just want bugs in 2.2.0 2.2.4 to be fixed.

Last edited by johnnygewitter; 12/28/2011 at 11:02 AM.
johnnygewitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by tsangh and Keanu_ like this.
Old 12/10/2011, 06:34 AM   #39 (permalink)

- A good browser like FireFox
- A better video player that supports most of popular codec
- Upgrade the cloud service (that is, online storage and multi-device data sync, HP may make money from service)
- Online store needs to be enhanced and the country based restriction on app purchase should be lifted
- Multi-language support, particularly Asian language input method should be included. This will enable a huge market for webOS.
pad32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Keanu_ likes this.
Old 12/10/2011, 08:00 AM   #40 (permalink)

If dismantle webOS software team, who will provide new API's?

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0