webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP to make WebOS open Source, what does it mean for the Touchpad ?
HP to make WebOS open Source, what does it mean for the Touchpad ?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 12:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Release of the source will help get faster updates from the community ?

HP: webOS to live on through open source, hardware lineup still dead (for now) -- Engadget
limitbreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

It means we get a better Android port, I hope. Or at least some headway in that android card emulator project.
Aganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: somline
Old 12/09/2011, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)
cgk

This might actually take a while because they say that before they open source it fully, they need to replace things within the code they license with open sources replacements.
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:07 PM   #4 (permalink)

It means, on all webOS devices, that developers can create apps and even patches that they couldnt before because HP didnt give them the access they needed. Now that it will be open, developers will have more availability to the OS to pretty much do whatever they want.
Old 12/09/2011, 01:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
It means, on all webOS devices, that developers can create apps and even patches that they couldnt before because HP didnt give them the access they needed. Now that it will be open, developers will have more availability to the OS to pretty much do whatever they want.
It is all meaningless until someone makes new hardware...anyone...please?
kel101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

If it means devs start slapping webOS on pretty much anything (toasters aside) like they do on xda with Android, I'm all for it. Bring it on.
ToniCipriani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel101 View Post
It is all meaningless until someone makes new hardware...anyone...please?
this topic was specifically asking "what does it mean for the Touchpad ? "

the hardware already exists
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

We may finally get a better browser
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by auTONYmous likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

The hardware may already exist, but without the chance for more being built, why would a designer/app creator mess with it when they can build something for a bigger marketplace i.e. Android or iOS?
dallasdig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:41 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDig View Post
The hardware may already exist, but without the chance for more being built, why would a designer/app creator mess with it when they can build something for a bigger marketplace i.e. Android or iOS?
there are actually quite a few touchpads out there... its not like those people magically vanished.
ungenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by darkzone likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 01:43 PM   #11 (permalink)

Would be nice if it means we will be able to finally get proper Bluetooth support in webos more specifically the ability to tether the TouchPad to dun devices such as cell phones for data access like other tablets can. The downside is open source conversion process will probably take so long it will be irrelevant or after the useful life of the TouchPad has expired.
crucialcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:44 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasDig View Post
Considering both webOS and Android run off linux kernels, it might facilitate more ports from Android-sourced applications to webOS. If that's the case, it doesn't really matter whether the OS has a future or not; if you've got tens of thousands of people with Touchpads and Palm Pre's using webOS now, they're potential customers.
Aganar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 01:56 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
Would be nice if it means we will be able to finally get proper Bluetooth support in webos more specifically the ability to tether the TouchPad to dun devices such as cell phones for data access like other tablets can. The downside is open source conversion process will probably take so long it will be irrelevant or after the useful life of the TouchPad has expired.
You haven't met the webOS Homebrew Community yet, have you?

Seriously, they are the best at getting things done for webOS and within webOS, more effective I believe than any other similar community for any other OS. I think they will be able to 'rock on' at an accelerated rate.

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Rockbeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
You haven't met the webOS Homebrew Community yet, have you?

Seriously, they are the best at getting things done for webOS and within webOS, more effective I believe than any other similar community for any other OS. I think they will be able to 'rock on' at an accelerated rate.

Actually I was talking about the process of making the necessary changes to webOS within HP so they can get ready to release it as open source were those like the Homebrew Community can take it from there. As it stands now no one has been able to completely figure out Bluetooth fully. There have been a couple of method/related projects. One of which webOS Internals was trying to figure out how to replace the Palm Bluetooth engine with the standard linux one(Bluez) awhile back but it seems to have since died. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future though
crucialcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:29 PM   #15 (permalink)

I think this is potentially major news and not just for the webOS community. Right now, hardware manufacturers are frozen out of iOS, meaning their choices are limited to Android for free or they have to pay Microsoft. I suspect a lot of them are unhappy with that choice, they don't want to be overly dependent on Google but it is hard to justify paying Microsoft for OS software when Google is giving it away for free. But now there is a third, open source choice. I suspect lots of companies like Samsung, Amazon, etc. may not want to take on the costs of an entire os ecosystem, but would be happy to make more modest contributions, just to keep Google honest with Android if nothing else. If HP manages this right, you may see a very vibrant open source movement on webOS, powered by some pretty serious manufacturer investments.

This is a bad day for Microsoft, but potentially a very good day for people who like webOS.
teamw23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:32 PM   #16 (permalink)

Plus, it will mean that developers can finally mess around with locked stuff (like the launcher and tabs to a higher degree. All in all... this could be a great think if it doesn't end up fragmented beyond belief!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: grasshoper
Old 12/09/2011, 02:41 PM   #17 (permalink)

Please no fragmentation! I hope they do it like they do in beta and alpha feeds.
nomadph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 02:42 PM   #18 (permalink)

Here is a link for a copy of Meg Whitman's email to the WebOS employees today:

In An Internal HP Email, Meg Whitman Assures webOS’ Best Days Are Still Ahead | TechCrunch
Old 12/09/2011, 02:48 PM   #19 (permalink)

this came out of left field but im totally excited for this. the possibility of running webos on my incredible 2? WOW!
smooth3006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:15 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
Plus, it will mean that developers can finally mess around with locked stuff (like the launcher and tabs to a higher degree. All in all... this could be a great think if it doesn't end up fragmented beyond belief!
Well this was one of the lines in the article posted today:

"Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation"

Hopefully they can manage that.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0