webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > HP to make WebOS open Source, what does it mean for the Touchpad ?
HP to make WebOS open Source, what does it mean for the Touchpad ?
Like Tree3Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 03:16 PM   #21 (permalink)

<thread moved>

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:19 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganar View Post
It means we get a better Android port, I hope. Or at least some headway in that android card emulator project.
What a joke. Thanks.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:21 PM   #23 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgraphicart View Post
Well this was one of the lines in the article posted today:

"Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation"

Hopefully they can manage that.

This is what I don't understand - if they intended to take it fully open source - how do they plan to do this?

Anyone?
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:25 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
Would be nice if it means we will be able to finally get proper Bluetooth support in webos more specifically the ability to tether the TouchPad to dun devices such as cell phones for data access like other tablets can. The downside is open source conversion process will probably take so long it will be irrelevant or after the useful life of the TouchPad has expired.
I already do this with my TP and my Samsung Galaxy Vibrant. I put the Phone in mobile AP mode and set the TP up to use that. Now I have full internet access on my TP everywhere that my phone does.

I also take custom kb layout requests.

Maverickz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:26 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post
This is what I don't understand - if they intended to take it fully open source - how do they plan to do this?

Anyone?
Maybe they are referring to future possible phone manufacturers and not really homebrew development and all. Just in case webOS does find its way onto another device.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:30 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGK View Post

Anyone?
This is pretty common in OSS. For example, Sun, Apache, Mozilla, etc. all had/have some control. There are many flavors of open-source license models.
Old 12/09/2011, 03:34 PM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
I already do this with my TP and my Samsung Galaxy Vibrant. I put the Phone in mobile AP mode and set the TP up to use that. Now I have full internet access on my TP everywhere that my phone does.
How do you put your phone in mobile AP mode? Through your provider's hotspot app or through other methods?
joen05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:36 PM   #28 (permalink)

MMMMmmmm I smell a possible collaboration between the WebOSInternals team and the CyanogenMod Team in the near future.
SDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 03:42 PM   #29 (permalink)

This means you will get cheap Shenzen knockoffs that look like the iPhone and iPad.

We now present the Ai-Pad 2x with a 400 Mhz dual core processor, 128 MB of memory, with a resistive touchscreen.
barrysanders20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:04 PM   #30 (permalink)

So with the open source, couldn't you just get the homebrew guys to port WebOS to any hardware, say a Samsung Galaxy S 2? Just to put Android on a Touchpad they put up a bounty of thousands of dollars. Could the WebOS community put together a dev team to do a complete install on Android devices? You'd then get your high end hardware that's been a sore thumb for the phone side.

If the homebrew community is better than the Android community, which was stated in this forum without any objection, the we should be seeing WebOS on Android phones in just a couple of months from the homebrew community.
kalel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 04:05 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keanu_ View Post
The TouchPad already is the antithesis of the iPad. Open Source is very inviting. Isn't this the first touch screen open source?
Android has always been open source, except for Honeycomb.
Old 12/09/2011, 04:13 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
So with the open source, couldn't you just get the homebrew guys to port WebOS to any hardware, say a Samsung Galaxy S 2? Just to put Android on a Touchpad they put up a bounty of thousands of dollars. Could the WebOS community put together a dev team to do a complete install on Android devices? You'd then get your high end hardware that's been a sore thumb for the phone side.

If the homebrew community is better than the Android community, which was stated in this forum without any objection, the we should be seeing WebOS on Android phones in just a couple of months from the homebrew community.
We dont even know if its going to be that easy. I think developers are going to have to look at all thats being opened to them and then decide.
Old 12/09/2011, 04:16 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
How do you put your phone in mobile AP mode? Through your provider's hotspot app or through other methods?
Open the Android "Settings" App
Select "Wireless and Network"
Mobile AP should be the third option down.
Enable that and follow the directions.
In the Mobile AP settings section you can name the network, setup security, etc.

Note: I am using the Samsung stock 2.3.x Gingerbread. I cannot say this feature is available in all versions or ROMs.

Old 12/09/2011, 04:22 PM   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickz View Post
I assume your talking about over wifi vs bluetooth. Thing is about that is uses more battery life then Bluetooth up on the phone side and not as many devices have wifi built in still such as the case with my Blackberry.
crucialcolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 05:04 PM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crucialcolin View Post
I assume your talking about over wifi vs bluetooth. Thing is about that is uses more battery life then Bluetooth up on the phone side and not as many devices have wifi built in still such as the case with my Blackberry.
Technically "tethering" requires a USB cable. I don't have a micro-USB to micro-USB cable (does that even exist) so I have not tried that. Bluetooth network sharing doesn't work from my phone but I am not sure my phone is setup to share via BT. I am not overly worried about it, since I do have a way to share the network connection via Mobile AP regardless of battery usage.

Old 12/09/2011, 05:15 PM   #36 (permalink)

I'm VERY excited because I started my second semester as a cs major and I've already learned so much this is a great opportunity for me.
ursula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 05:58 PM   #37 (permalink)

Without an ecosystem built around any os, that os is dead at its birth.

Would open sourcing webos forge the thriving of the ecosystem? The answer is no unless HP puts a huge amount of resource into it. Would hardware manufacturers put webos into their device now? The answer is no because the existing user base is still relatively small, and there are not many apps existing for webos. Would developers port their existing apps on webos? Depends on HP's effort. And this is the key for webos' survival. Without enough hardware out there, why would the devs do that? The devs were already choked by the big guy's play on discontinuing ad support on webos!

Well, one can argue that because webos is free now device makers may, MAY, put the os in their device to reduce the licensing cost. This may be true but it can be easily defeated by the big players (say lowering the licensing fees, creative fee system etc). It just needs some time to completely kill off webos (if it ever becomes a threat at all).

How much resource can HP put into this? Don't really know. No business would invest a huge amount of resource in something that does not give enough return.

So what now? Slow death instead of sudden death?

Last edited by greenskinredeyez; 12/09/2011 at 06:35 PM.
greenskinredeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 05:59 PM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
I can't wait to finally do away with Android for good!!!
You can do that now, just delete it off the Touchpad. If you're talking about apps coming to the Touchpad because it's now open source then that probably won't happen. Symbian went open source and you see how well it's doing with apps.
Old 12/09/2011, 07:35 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
Symbian is not backed by HP. The other no-names are not backed by HP.

Dead or alive, webO.S. is stiff competition. Public Interest is what matters. And when you're someone like Apple and Android competing with a dead OS- well, that says it all.

When you have the support of the whole world, we are there to make sure that webO.S. does not fall.
No Symbian is not backed by HP but they were backed by the #1 phone manufacturer in the world, at that time, so it's very much comparable. Symbian was on 300 million devices by the end of 2010. So it was multitudes more popular worldwide, backed by a leading multinational company, went open source, and still failed.

Cnet has an article comparing WebOS going open source to other software that went open source and in a short form explains why WebOS will have issues, even open sourced.

"That's because the key to relevance in the OS world is apps. An operating system still can be useful to power slot machines, electronic billboards, and factory-floor robots. Old-school phones had all they needed--a dialer, address book, and text-messaging interface. But if you want your OS to shape the future of mobile devices, you need an OS that lets people play games and post status updates. WebOS, open-source or not, lacks that support.

Note that there's already an open-source mobile OS out there today that has plenty of apps: Android."

Not saying WebOS "is" going to fail but there's no hole to fill. Android is the most popular open source mobile OS in the world and it has the apps to continue it's progress. WebOS has an OS with very very little top quality apps(it's the quantity of quality apps it's missing).

WebOS's best chance was when it first came out with the Touchpad, which that was botched with the buggy software, not polished, and then abandoning it. They should have sold to Amazon for whatever they could have gotten out of them. Then we would have had a company that could have propelled the app development for WebOS like HP never could. Heck, Windows is paying devs and giving out devices to get them to make apps for them. Windows has an uphill climb and WebOS has to scale a sheer cliff.

Last edited by kalel33; 12/09/2011 at 07:49 PM.
Old 12/09/2011, 08:52 PM   #40 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel33 View Post
No Symbian is not backed by HP but they were backed by the #1 phone manufacturer in the world, at that time, so it's very much comparable. Symbian was on 300 million devices by the end of 2010. So it was multitudes more popular worldwide, backed by a leading multinational company, went open source, and still failed.
I dare to say things that may be unpopular -- Nokia's OS sucked. The only reason it was the "most popular" phone OS in the world, is because Nokia sold more phones than anyone else in the world at the time. Nokia has been dying a slow death since they refused to license Qualcomm's chips to access Verizon and Sprint back in the early days of CDMA, and their hardware quality on their own CDMA chipset when it finally came out years late, was horrid. The phones were absolutely terrible, and were generations behind their GSM counterparts.

I never verified this, but as a salesperson that sold a whole lot of Nokia products, we were often told, in the early 90's, that Nokia was the largest manufacturer of non-perishable consumer products in the world. They supplied 80% of all the cell phones in the world. When they refused to go digital with Verizon and Sprint, they lost the backing of their biggest U.S. clients, and Sony, Sanyo, Samsung, and half a dozen others ate their lunch.

I don't know if they'll ever recover from that debacle. But, Symbian sucks. It's merely the only choice in many places in the world, where all cell phones are Nokia.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0