Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree46Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr.../111209xa.html

HP will engage the open source community to help define the charter of the open source project under a set of operating principles:

The goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform
    HP will be an active participant and investor in the project
    Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation
    Software will be provided as a pure open source project
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    Do you think the execs leading the all hands meeting today knew about this
    Wow.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    geekpeter and Rnp like this.
    Hoe, Lee, Krapp!!
    I am very surprised.
    -- Bring back DateBk!!

Is it safe to cheer and stop hiding my love for my Pre2 and TouchPad now?
    ArchonAdvisors likes this.
  7. R_E
    Global Posts
    343 Global Posts
    no one expected this
    Well, when Leo made his decision to axe WebOS we are all infuriated that he didn't at least open source it. This is what we all hoped would happen, but figured HP would be too concerned with recouping some of their $. This is the true test of WebOS. It's out there now. Anyone who wants to build a device with it can do so. Will anyone? We shall see.
    Not a noob, but am a noob to open source.

Could someone explain the possibile ramifications of this move? I see a big mix of reactions, but mostly relief and excitement.

I'm getting a vibe that this means webOS-Internals and other groups could port webOS to new hardware and make more significant upgrades to the webOS software itself than was possible before. Is that correct?
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Good alternative to canning the whole thing.
    Treo 180 -> Treo 270 -> Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700wx -> Palm Pre -> TouchPad
    eKeith, Rnp and xandros9 like this.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    I'm sure this is a little ways off but it would be great if this means we can essentially put webOS on the devices of our choosing. i.e. droid 2 with webOS or Note with webOS, transformer 2 with webOS. Or the ability to create a hyrbrid Android/webOS platform.
    Thank you, hp!!!!
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    The first conclusion is that they simply could not get anyone to buy or license it - so it was this or total shutdown.
    a shocking surprise tbh, ill bet a lot (including me) thought HP would just mess thigns up further and let webOS for mobile devices die off while they kept it for printers.

again......v shocking, speechless in fact, best choice ive seen them make for webOS to date that actually makes us leftovers happy.

time to get a little bigger you webosinternals folk, youve got some interesting playtime ahead of you and a lot more interested bystanders watching you

EDIT: even tho they opensource it i wonder what will happen to the app market side of things?
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    It's out there now. Anyone who wants to build a device with it can do so. Will anyone? We shall see.
    Pretty much my thoughts.

If another manufacturer picks it up and makes hardware for it, then it would be pretty sweet. If someone ports that Davalik thing to allow android apps, that would be pretty sweet. Otherwise, I question if this will ever prosper beyond complete tinkering status.

Perhaps a Beagle Board with webOS on it?...

-Suntan
    Mainly means the OS will live on even if no other devices are officially made for it, so that's good. As for webOS phones being produced ... I wouldn't really expect that, they've done miserably and there's just no room for another phone OS, but you'll definitely see some cheapo tablets out there. Countdown to Archos making a budget webOS tablet in 3 ... 2 ...
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

Could someone explain the possibile ramifications of this move? I see a big mix of reactions, but mostly relief and excitement.

I'm getting a vibe that this means webOS-Internals and other groups could port webOS to new hardware and make more significant upgrades to the webOS software itself than was possible before. Is that correct?
    Like Android, anyone can now make a cell phone or tablet with WebOS on it. Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorolla, etc...
    Rnp, heldley and lansing like this.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

Here's one possible ramification (depending on how strong HP's governance is) - people start forking it and like android, you have a mishmash of interfaces, device sizes and the like. So in 2014 (if people start putting out hardware), people will be downloading "Bluenote pure rom" in the same way they do for android roms.

I guess it also opens the door for people porting WebOS onto more capable phone hardware.
    sinsin07 likes this.
    don't see any manufacturer spending time or money making hardware for a os with no apps.
    Global Posts
    655 Global Posts
    does this mean the eventual end of preware? i imagine sometime down the road all the tweaks/enhancements to preware will be rolled into webOS core?
Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast