webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  Open webOS General Discussion > WebOS goes Open source
WebOS goes Open source
Like Tree46Likes

Old 12/09/2011, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
cgk

http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/newsroom/pr.../111209xa.html

Quote:
HP will engage the open source community to help define the charter of the open source project under a set of operating principles:

The goal of the project is to accelerate the open development of the webOS platform
HP will be an active participant and investor in the project
Good, transparent and inclusive governance to avoid fragmentation
Software will be provided as a pure open source project
cgk is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Grabber5.0 likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 12:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you think the execs leading the all hands meeting today knew about this
DrewT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Wow.
Old 12/09/2011, 12:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hoe, Lee, Krapp!!
ArchonAdvisors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am very surprised.

DS_Palm_Lvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Is it safe to cheer and stop hiding my love for my Pre2 and TouchPad now?
auTONYmous is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by sq5 likes this.
Old 12/09/2011, 12:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
R_E

no one expected this
R_E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well, when Leo made his decision to axe WebOS we are all infuriated that he didn't at least open source it. This is what we all hoped would happen, but figured HP would be too concerned with recouping some of their $. This is the true test of WebOS. It's out there now. Anyone who wants to build a device with it can do so. Will anyone? We shall see.
YankBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Not a noob, but am a noob to open source.

Could someone explain the possibile ramifications of this move? I see a big mix of reactions, but mostly relief and excitement.

I'm getting a vibe that this means webOS-Internals and other groups could port webOS to new hardware and make more significant upgrades to the webOS software itself than was possible before. Is that correct?
Old 12/09/2011, 12:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

Good alternative to canning the whole thing.
Old 12/09/2011, 12:49 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm sure this is a little ways off but it would be great if this means we can essentially put webOS on the devices of our choosing. i.e. droid 2 with webOS or Note with webOS, transformer 2 with webOS. Or the ability to create a hyrbrid Android/webOS platform.
nhavar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:49 PM   #12 (permalink)

Thank you, hp!!!!
k4ever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
cgk

The first conclusion is that they simply could not get anyone to buy or license it - so it was this or total shutdown.
Old 12/09/2011, 12:49 PM   #14 (permalink)

a shocking surprise tbh, ill bet a lot (including me) thought HP would just mess thigns up further and let webOS for mobile devices die off while they kept it for printers.

again......v shocking, speechless in fact, best choice ive seen them make for webOS to date that actually makes us leftovers happy.

time to get a little bigger you webosinternals folk, youve got some interesting playtime ahead of you and a lot more interested bystanders watching you

EDIT: even tho they opensource it i wonder what will happen to the app market side of things?
geekpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
It's out there now. Anyone who wants to build a device with it can do so. Will anyone? We shall see.
Pretty much my thoughts.

If another manufacturer picks it up and makes hardware for it, then it would be pretty sweet. If someone ports that Davalik thing to allow android apps, that would be pretty sweet. Otherwise, I question if this will ever prosper beyond complete tinkering status.

Perhaps a Beagle Board with webOS on it?...

-Suntan
Suntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:51 PM   #16 (permalink)

Mainly means the OS will live on even if no other devices are officially made for it, so that's good. As for webOS phones being produced ... I wouldn't really expect that, they've done miserably and there's just no room for another phone OS, but you'll definitely see some cheapo tablets out there. Countdown to Archos making a budget webOS tablet in 3 ... 2 ...
jrstinkfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:51 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

Could someone explain the possibile ramifications of this move? I see a big mix of reactions, but mostly relief and excitement.

I'm getting a vibe that this means webOS-Internals and other groups could port webOS to new hardware and make more significant upgrades to the webOS software itself than was possible before. Is that correct?
Like Android, anyone can now make a cell phone or tablet with WebOS on it. Samsung, HTC, Nokia, Motorolla, etc...
YankBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by Rnp, heldley and Lansing2002 like this.
Thanked by heldley, Rnp, VCI_Cell
Old 12/09/2011, 12:52 PM   #18 (permalink)
cgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

Here's one possible ramification (depending on how strong HP's governance is) - people start forking it and like android, you have a mishmash of interfaces, device sizes and the like. So in 2014 (if people start putting out hardware), people will be downloading "Bluenote pure rom" in the same way they do for android roms.

I guess it also opens the door for people porting WebOS onto more capable phone hardware.
Liked by sinsin07 likes this.
Thanked by Rnp, VCI_Cell
Old 12/09/2011, 12:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

don't see any manufacturer spending time or money making hardware for a os with no apps.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12/09/2011, 12:52 PM   #20 (permalink)

does this mean the eventual end of preware? i imagine sometime down the road all the tweaks/enhancements to preware will be rolled into webOS core?
c000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0